News Folau case may send Rugby Australia broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Raelene Castle ... the gift that keeps on giving.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...l-Folaus-hearing-set-continue-second-day.html

Israel Folau's code of conduct hearing is set to continue for a second day, after no decision was reached on whether his multi-million dollar contract should be ripped up.

Folau, 30, arrived at Rugby Australia (RA) headquarters in Sydney on Saturday, where he spent eight hours fighting to save his career after he shared a social media post which claimed homosexuals were going to hell unless they repent.

RA will face insolvency if they have to pay out the Wallabies star's lucrative contract, losing more than $12million, the Daily Telegraph reported.

Folau is reportedly seeking for his contract to be paid out in full should it be terminated.

In addition to potentially having to fork out immediately for Folau's contract, RA is also expecting to lose $8million in the next financial year as a result of hosting less Wallabies tests in Australia.

RA said a decision will be made on Monday at the earliest.

RA earns most of its money from hosting test matches but the number of games has decreased due to the Rugby World Cup being held in Japan in September.

A $5.2million surplus was announced for 2017-2018 and will be used to prevent possible losses.

A three-person panel, with representatives from RA and the Rugby Union Players' Association, will determine Folau's fate on the field.

Folau arrived at the headquarters in St Leonards, Sydney's lower North Shore, in the back of a black Audi at about 9am, ahead of the 9.30am scheduled hearing.

About ten minutes later, RA chief executive Raelene Castle and NSW Waratahs boss Andrew Hore were seen entering the building.

Wallabies coach Michael Cheika, who was not expected to attend, made an intriguing appearance on Saturday.

Cheika's sighting raised the prospect of a possible peace offering, despite saying three weeks ago that he wouldn't be able to pick Folau for Australia again 'as it stands right now'.

The controversial rugby star was issued with a 'high-level' breach notice last month for taking to Instagram to proclaim 'hell awaits drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolators' unless they repent and turn to Jesus.

The full-back of Tongan descent was warned by RA last year after sharing a similar homophobic post that claimed gays were destined for hell.

He then signed his profitable contract extension in October.

Folau is being represented by high-profile solicitor Ramy Quatami and barrister Adam Casselden, who recently worked on the coronial inquest into the murder-suicide of Sydney family Maria Lutz and her children Ellie and Martin at the hands of their father Fernando Manrique in 2016.

Folau and his representation will argue the sporting body did not include a specific social media clause in the new contract.

Further, they will argue the post was from the Bible and not directly Folau's words.

But RA, represented by Justin Gleeson SC, are expected to counter argue that Folau breached the governing body's broader code of conduct policy and its inclusion policy - despite the exclusion of a clear social media clause.

Point 1.3 of the players' code of conduct policy says: 'Treat everyone equally, fairly and with dignity regardless of gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, cultural or religious background, age or disability.

'Any form of bullying, harassment or discrimination has no place in Rugby'.

The three-person panel is made up of chair John West QC, RA representative Kate Eastman SC and the Rugby Union Players' Association-elected John Boultbee.

If the tribunal determines that Folau has breached his contract, the panel must then decide if the breach was severe enough to terminate his career.

The losing party will have until 72 hours after any decision is handed down to appeal.

Folau broke down in tears while giving an emotional sermon at the Uniting Church in Kenthurst, north west of Sydney, on Easter Sunday.

The footage emerged as Willie Ofahengaue, the first Tongan to represent Australia in rugby union, backed Folau ahead of Saturday's hearing.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what happens when you are quick to make public statements to appease people without checking your contractual obligations.
I’m not a fan of Folau’s actions but this really should have been handled better. It’s not a surprise Castle, who seemed more interested in giving refugees memberships than keeping Des in check, has bungled this one.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Folau is worse than Hitler, Mussolini, Mao Zedong, Stalin, Pol Pot and all the Kim Jongs combined, IMO. They only killed millions upon millions of people. Folau didn't pander to the gay Mafia. Much worse.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep. It's a very complex case. He was warned and he offended many people, but there was no clause in his contact that covered this other than "bringing the game into disrepute"

It could go either way. Will be interesting to see the outcome.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Every prick is offended these days, soft cocks galore
Hopefully he sends RA broke
I don’t agree with what said, but it was an opinion.... he never hurt anyone

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Every prick is offended these days, soft cocks galore
Hopefully he sends RA broke
I don’t agree with what said, but it was an opinion.... he never hurt anyone
I kind of agree. But there are some limits that need to be in place.

What if he said, "women will go to hell" or "Black people will go to hell"?

I'm all for freedom of speech but there's a point when you bully a kid so much that he ends up killing himself, then it becomes a bit of a problem.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I kind of agree. But there are some limits that need to be in place.

What if he said, "women will go to hell" or "Black people will go to hell"?

I'm all for freedom of speech but there's a point when you bully a kid so much that he ends up killing himself, then it becomes a bit of a problem.
Does the bible say those things though? The harsh truth is that religious people if they are being real believe those things.
If he had just quoted the bible by itself I doubt they would have been able to censor him. It just shows you how clueless Folau is that I bet he didn’t even consider that post would offend him

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Does the bible say those things though? The harsh truth is that religious people if they are being real believe those things.
If he had just quoted the bible by itself I doubt they would have been able to censor him. It just shows you how clueless Folau is that I bet he didn’t even consider that post would offend him
Yep. Think about the Muslim genital manipulation. It's banned in Australia and America even though it's part of the religion (in certain Muslim regions), as is stonings and lashings.

That's where the issue comes in. We have laws protecting people from being attacked and his post could be construed as attack. But it could also be construed as beliefs.

It's just a ridiculously complex situation legally. But there's no doubting that Folau was being an idiot when he did it as he had already been warned twice when he did it in the past.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep. Think about the Muslim genital manipulation. It's banned in Australia and America even though it's part of the religion (in certain Muslim regions), as is stonings and lashings.

That's where the issue comes in. We have laws protecting people from being attacked and his post could be construed as attack. But it could also be construed as beliefs.

It's just a ridiculously complex situation legally. But there's no doubting that Folau was being an idiot when he did it as he had already been warned twice when he did it in the past.
Genital mutilation is cultural not religious but I get your point. My issue is the world isn’t as PC as people are trying to make out. This fake outrage and cancel culture from social media doesn’t last. One MOM by Folau against the All Blacks and people would forget quickly.

I don’t think I should tell a religious person what to believe. The issue now is people use social media like they are sharing with only their friends. You shouldn’t post anything that you wouldn’t say in a live interview really.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Genital mutilation is cultural not religious but I get your point. My issue is the world isn’t as PC as people are trying to make out. This fake outrage and cancel culture from social media doesn’t last. One MOM by Folau against the All Blacks and people would forget quickly.

I don’t think I should tell a religious person what to believe. The issue now is people use social media like they are sharing with only their friends. You shouldn’t post anything that you wouldn’t say in a live interview really.
Yep. Never tell religious people what to believe. It would be presumptuous to even suggest they change their belief. And I'd never suggest that either. But there has to be a stance of what is right and what is wrong. Sure, say, "You can believe whatever you want". But when you jump on Social media and use those beliefs to attack people. That's when it becomes a problem.

In regard to social media, it's becoming more problematic 'cause while it doesn't last for the general public, it becomes an encompassing part of life for others. With the echo chambers that have been forming on social media, PC and counter-PC cultures are becoming more ingrained. Not just the offended, the offensive too. We've seen a recent rise in racist right wing groups and violent left wing groups thanks to the backing of social media. This is the problem with Internet culture. It spreads information far and wide but also builds spaces for like minded people to re-enforce their beliefs. Normally if you said, "Jewish people using vaccines to make us all Autistic and control the world through mind control", then people would call you a nut. But groups like this exist on Facebook and they have over 100,000 members. And in those groups they are told that their beliefs are right and anyone else is a liar. They get this echo'd belief that this is the world and anyone who says otherwise is crazy.

This is the danger. For the general public they would forget about Folau's comments 5 minutes later. And that's good. But there's going to be gay people who won't forget. And there's going to be anti-gay people who will use it as a tool to keep the attack going.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'd actually like to see him win, and RA go bankrupt.

a) So we can see what business Castle will ruin next.
b) Hello Curtis Rona :D

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Folau is worse than Hitler, Mussolini, Mao Zedong, Stalin, Pol Pot and all the Kim Jongs combined, IMO. They only killed millions upon millions of people. Folau didn't pander to the gay Mafia. Much worse.
Israel Folau is worse than Donald Trump!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Reactions: K E

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are poofs possessed by the devil or are they just gay?
Sounds pretty way out.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe Isreal should just worry about himself. Who cares what other people do with their lives? Be gay if you want, who gives a shit.
If he thinks they all go to hell, why doesn't he just shut his trap and let god deal with it.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Maybe Isreal should just worry about himself. Who cares what other people do with their lives? Be gay if you want, who gives a shit.
If he thinks they all go to hell, why doesn't he just shut his trap and let god deal with it.
Because he loves them and wants them to be saved, that's why. He doesn't hate anyone. In fact in Christianity, we are taught to love your enemy. I'm not saying that they are his enemies, but he's preaching the good word.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because he loves them and wants them to be saved, that's why. He doesn't hate anyone. In fact in Christianity, we are taught to love your enemy. I'm not saying that they are his enemies, but he's preaching the good word.
Hehe. Loves them and wants them to be saved. If thats the case I'm sure he can dig up somewhere in the bible that you have no right to judge others.
Shouldn't be pushing his beliefs onto anyone in this society. He should shut the fuck up and live his own life

Status
Not open for further replies.