The NB of N

Reaction score
Just seeing if anyone else has been caught in the debacle that is the nbn. Honestly it is a government program but 4 different people have showed up to house and done fuck all it’s just annoying yo know?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Just seeing if anyone else has been caught in the debacle that is the nbn. Honestly it is a government program but 4 different people have showed up to house and done fuck all it’s just annoying yo know?
Yep I'm on the NBN and I hate hate hate.....

upload_2019-5-1_17-1-17.png

upload_2019-5-1_17-2-57.png

absolutely nothing about it :grinning:

Most of the time the problem occurs between the ISP and the NBNCo installers.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm on.
Works great.
My provider was a **** when I first signed up, but since a letter to the ombudsman, they've been good.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the first to get it an all I can say is its garbage! Slower than what we had beforehand.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
National bullshit network.... Kazakhstan has faster internet than Australia! And we pay way more....

https://www.afr.com/technology/mobi...lobal-internet-speed-rankings-20190430-p51ifx

Australia is now ranked in the 62nd spot in the global broadband speed rankings, falling down three spots from last year and well behind similar advanced economies.

According to the Ookla Speedtest Global Index, Australia ranks behind Kazakhstan and Cape Verde, but above Jordan, Brazil and Saudi Arabia, with an average download speed of 35.11 Mbps. This is well below the global average download speed of 57.91 Mbps.

Nations of similar size, or significantly greater numbers of connections, outperformed Australia. Glenn Hunt

The top spot is held by Singapore on 199.62 Mbps, followed by Hong Kong at 168.69 Mbps and Monaco at 137.86 Mbps.

However, Australia does rank much better in mobile broadband, at 5th place – with a speed of 58.87 Mbs. Norway took out the top spot with a speed of 67.54 Mbps.

The National Broadband Network (NBN) in Australia has been touted as a game-changer to Australian internet speeds, offering speeds of up to 100 Mbps. But the ACCC last year found only 69 per cent of all speed tests achieved download speeds of above 90 per cent of maximum plan speeds and 7 per cent of tests recorded less than 50 per cent of the maximum.

Recent figures from the NBN show there are now more than 4.6 million premises with the NBN, up 38 per cent from 2018. Despite this, speeds across the country have not increased.

NBN said in a statement that 57 per cent of activated premises were “connected to the 50 Mbps wholesale download speed tier plans or above” compared with 16 per cent for the same time last year.

RMIT University associate professor of engineering Mark Gregory told Business Insider Australia that anyone looking at the Ookla rankings “needs to temper their consideration” because the NBN is a national rollout and that some countries with access to high speeds compared with Australia had a much smaller user base.

“There’s a big difference between an outcome that’s national and an outcome that might only cover 10 per cent of a population in a country,” Gregory said.

You would have to say Australia is doing very poorly.

— RMIT University associate professor of engineering Mark Gregory

Although Kazakhstan ranks above Australia, 86 per cent of the population lacks access to fixed broadband, according to stats cited by a spokesman for Communications Minister Mitch Fifield in the Sydney Morning Herald.

Gregory added that despite the comparison being a difficult one, Australia is still not kicking any goals in the speed department.

“It’s a bit of comparing apples with oranges, but I would say that if you look at it in terms of the trend and the numbers of connections and what those connections are providing then you would have to say Australia is doing very poorly,” he said.

Advertisement
Gregory said nations of similar size, or significantly greater numbers of connections, outperformed Australia.

In March, the Labor party ruled out overhauling the NBN and Labor communications spokeswoman Michelle Rowland told the Sydney Institute the Liberal-National Coalition had driven up costs and done serious damage to the project.

She said that the Labor party, if elected, would spend $185 million on improving the network and a review of the $50 billion project would follow.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported that Labor plans to spend $125 million on fixing in-home wiring problems for up to 750,000 people and use the leftover $60 million on adding 20,000 people to the high-speed fibre network.

Gregory said he supported Labor’s proposal and believed that the Ookla figures demonstrated that the decision taken in 2013 to change technologies used in building the NBN was wrong.

Related

The broadband war has ended, Abbott won
Paul Smith
Ex-prime minister Malcolm Turnbull was the communications minister responsible for the NBN when the government, under the leadership of Tony Abbott, reworked the network with different technologies. In 2014, the majority of the network design switched from fibre to the premises (FTTP) to fibre to the node (FTTN), creating a mix of technologies. In 2016, the government announced another change to fibre to the curb (FTTC).

Alex Choros, managing editor at WhistleOut, told Business Insider the mix of technologies created issues about cost and maintenance as copper wiring degrades faster than fibre optic.

Advertisement
“Over a long period of time there may be some savings from using fibre to the premises,” he said.

He said that because NBN did not mix technologies within areas it made maintenance in some places easier, as the mix of technologies did not compete. However, he said the problem was more for consumers who were locked into technology types and connection speeds based on where they live and when they got the NBN.

“From a consumer perspective, it makes it more complicated in some ways and not in others,” he said.

“There are seven technologies in the multi-technology mix but as a consumer, you can only get one.”

The Coalition’s multi-technology NBN model was marketed as delivering a cheaper network sooner but ultimately faced huge cost blowouts.

“The one that is going to have the most impact in the medium to longer term is if Labor is able to identify how to move us back toward an all-fibre network whilst maintaining competition,” Gregory said.

NBN told Business Insider Australia they were unable to make a comment at this time due to caretaker provisions from the government during this election period.

Last edited:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I'm with Telstra. It's great because I'm with the number 1 telco in Australia. I've only had a few outage problems with it before but that's the exchange though not me alone. Beats the crappy ADSL we had before, plus it's great with Netflix.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
National bullshit network.... Kazakhstan has faster internet than Australia! And we pay way more....

https://www.afr.com/technology/mobi...lobal-internet-speed-rankings-20190430-p51ifx

Australia is now ranked in the 62nd spot in the global broadband speed rankings, falling down three spots from last year and well behind similar advanced economies.

According to the Ookla Speedtest Global Index, Australia ranks behind Kazakhstan and Cape Verde, but above Jordan, Brazil and Saudi Arabia, with an average download speed of 35.11 Mbps. This is well below the global average download speed of 57.91 Mbps.

Nations of similar size, or significantly greater numbers of connections, outperformed Australia. Glenn Hunt

The top spot is held by Singapore on 199.62 Mbps, followed by Hong Kong at 168.69 Mbps and Monaco at 137.86 Mbps.

However, Australia does rank much better in mobile broadband, at 5th place – with a speed of 58.87 Mbs. Norway took out the top spot with a speed of 67.54 Mbps.

The National Broadband Network (NBN) in Australia has been touted as a game-changer to Australian internet speeds, offering speeds of up to 100 Mbps. But the ACCC last year found only 69 per cent of all speed tests achieved download speeds of above 90 per cent of maximum plan speeds and 7 per cent of tests recorded less than 50 per cent of the maximum.

Recent figures from the NBN show there are now more than 4.6 million premises with the NBN, up 38 per cent from 2018. Despite this, speeds across the country have not increased.

NBN said in a statement that 57 per cent of activated premises were “connected to the 50 Mbps wholesale download speed tier plans or above” compared with 16 per cent for the same time last year.

RMIT University associate professor of engineering Mark Gregory told Business Insider Australia that anyone looking at the Ookla rankings “needs to temper their consideration” because the NBN is a national rollout and that some countries with access to high speeds compared with Australia had a much smaller user base.

“There’s a big difference between an outcome that’s national and an outcome that might only cover 10 per cent of a population in a country,” Gregory said.

You would have to say Australia is doing very poorly.

— RMIT University associate professor of engineering Mark Gregory

Although Kazakhstan ranks above Australia, 86 per cent of the population lacks access to fixed broadband, according to stats cited by a spokesman for Communications Minister Mitch Fifield in the Sydney Morning Herald.

Gregory added that despite the comparison being a difficult one, Australia is still not kicking any goals in the speed department.

“It’s a bit of comparing apples with oranges, but I would say that if you look at it in terms of the trend and the numbers of connections and what those connections are providing then you would have to say Australia is doing very poorly,” he said.

Advertisement
Gregory said nations of similar size, or significantly greater numbers of connections, outperformed Australia.

In March, the Labor party ruled out overhauling the NBN and Labor communications spokeswoman Michelle Rowland told the Sydney Institute the Liberal-National Coalition had driven up costs and done serious damage to the project.

She said that the Labor party, if elected, would spend $185 million on improving the network and a review of the $50 billion project would follow.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported that Labor plans to spend $125 million on fixing in-home wiring problems for up to 750,000 people and use the leftover $60 million on adding 20,000 people to the high-speed fibre network.

Gregory said he supported Labor’s proposal and believed that the Ookla figures demonstrated that the decision taken in 2013 to change technologies used in building the NBN was wrong.

Related

The broadband war has ended, Abbott won
Paul Smith
Ex-prime minister Malcolm Turnbull was the communications minister responsible for the NBN when the government, under the leadership of Tony Abbott, reworked the network with different technologies. In 2014, the majority of the network design switched from fibre to the premises (FTTP) to fibre to the node (FTTN), creating a mix of technologies. In 2016, the government announced another change to fibre to the curb (FTTC).

Alex Choros, managing editor at WhistleOut, told Business Insider the mix of technologies created issues about cost and maintenance as copper wiring degrades faster than fibre optic.

Advertisement
“Over a long period of time there may be some savings from using fibre to the premises,” he said.

He said that because NBN did not mix technologies within areas it made maintenance in some places easier, as the mix of technologies did not compete. However, he said the problem was more for consumers who were locked into technology types and connection speeds based on where they live and when they got the NBN.

“From a consumer perspective, it makes it more complicated in some ways and not in others,” he said.

“There are seven technologies in the multi-technology mix but as a consumer, you can only get one.”

The Coalition’s multi-technology NBN model was marketed as delivering a cheaper network sooner but ultimately faced huge cost blowouts.

“The one that is going to have the most impact in the medium to longer term is if Labor is able to identify how to move us back toward an all-fibre network whilst maintaining competition,” Gregory said.

NBN told Business Insider Australia they were unable to make a comment at this time due to caretaker provisions from the government during this election period.
Well Kazakhstan is the greatest country in the world. All other countries are run by little girls...

I've heard it a very nice place.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Well Kazakhstan is the greatest country in the world. All other countries are run by little girls...

I've heard it a very nice place.
In Kazakhstan you is pimp and sister is prostitute!

In all seriousness Australian internet is a joke.

We actually have a reputation for shit internet, so much I try to disguise my accent if I get online to game with Americans