Opinion Time to go shopping

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is bloody interesting!

You would think with all that cabbage coming from Canterbury Leagues, as well as the tremendous pulling power the club has, we would of pulled off some decent signings over the years like;

Latrell Mitchell
Cameron Munster
Brad Maloney
Cooper Cronk
James Tedesco

You really think that now, with the cap space we have available, we can entice superstars to come over here?

The way Ennis, Reynolds, Graham, Mbye & Woods were treated in open public, which "superstar" will be coming here?

Maybe we can entice them with your persuasive manner?!
We had the chance to have players like Cameron Munster and latrell Mitchell but the hasler camp didn't want them or overlooked them.

We could of had tedesco but he wouldn't sign unless we took Mitchell Moses as well. We could of had tedesco, Moses and woods together. But hasler wanted foran, So we lost tedesco to the roosters.

Hasler left us in a mess and the new board has a big challenge Infront of them. Don't think it's an easy fix it will take time. Hasler and castle screwed this club down to its core the only good thing that wasn't affected was the business side of the club which the new board would agree to us that it was run well. Ray Dib biggest mistake was to trust castle and hasler and let the hard work that was done over the years go to waste. He lost support because of this. This is why we have a new board and I personally believe things will change we just need to believe in the club. I hope they don't sign players on a million dollars. Invest in young players and get them cheap. I rather sacrafice the up coming 2 years and have this club fixed this for the long term success then sign players on top dollars and be the same hole in a few years time.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How coul

How could one be better than the other they were identical twins, Josh gave us many years of loyal service both in attack and defence, not many tries went in on the Morris side of the field, They probably would have stayed if we had offered them the right deal, But don't say they were crap. what about all the others we let go - Thurston, Graham, Reynolds, Mbye, Klemmer, Woods, Ennis, Kasiano, Eastwood, Lane, Pritchard, Rona, look at the way they were discarded from our club. Are you going to say that they were crap? They Where Bulldogs, just look around and see what we have left.
Dud decision letting Morris bros go.. both took unders elsewhere..

Their experience & leadership would have been handy in a rebuild phase, especially with the kids we got at the moment..

But Pay as coach wanted to stamp hos name on the squad and build his own team.. noth players being let go had nothing to do with salary cap..

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Their experience & leadership would have been handy in a rebuild phase, especially with the kids we got at the moment..

But Pay as coach wanted to stamp hos name on the squad and build his own team.. noth players being let go had nothing to do with salary cap..

But do you really believe Brett Morris took unders?

That’s garbage, rooster don’t pay unders for anyone

That’s just paper talk to make out roosters don’t cheat.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We had the chance to have players like Cameron Munster and latrell Mitchell but the hasler camp didn't want them or overlooked them.

We could of had tedesco but he wouldn't sign unless we took Mitchell Moses as well. We could of had tedesco, Moses and woods together. But hasler wanted foran, So we lost tedesco to the roosters.

Hasler left us in a mess and the new board has a big challenge Infront of them. Don't think it's an easy fix it will take time. Hasler and castle screwed this club down to its core the only good thing that wasn't affected was the business side of the club which the new board would agree to us that it was run well. Ray Dib biggest mistake was to trust castle and hasler and let the hard work that was done over the years go to waste. He lost support because of this. This is why we have a new board and I personally believe things will change we just need to believe in the club. I hope they don't sign players on a million dollars. Invest in young players and get them cheap. I rather sacrafice the up coming 2 years and have this club fixed this for the long term success then sign players on top dollars and be the same hole in a few years time.
Thank goodness someone on this forum really really knows what his talking about !!!
This deserves BEST POST x 10 from me !!!

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
But do you really believe Brett Morris took unders?

That’s garbage, rooster don’t pay unders for anyone

You have no idea
That’s just paper talk to make out roosters don’t cheat.
You can bet your life on this...
1. Canterbury offered them more for one year deal only.
2. They chose to go for two years deals on less per a year.

SoulCrusher

Banned
Reaction score
The Morris brothers signed for teams competing for a premiership instead of playing the last few years of their careers getting paid a reduced salary to play for a team competing to avoid the wooden spoon.

There was nothing we could have done to keep them.

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You are spot on mate! I tick off all your points about the business structures and success

I myself voted for the new board and they have done good as well as bad!

The most dissapointing move so far, has been the handling of Mbye, Woods & Klemmer moves. It was dissapointing how it was carried out for the public to see. That has created alot of damage for future players to come to the club.

The way they handled the Hasler fiasco was brilliant! Till this day noone knows what the payout was and it was done in a quick, professional and respectful manner.

The key to ongoing success, is the approach you take with recruitment and development. With that you need the best of the scouts and development coaches, something which we do not have now. (Just take a look at our squad and junior base now!)

One example of having a great coach, i.e Bellamy. How many undervalue players did he bring in from other clubs and slot them into the Storm system, and untapped their potential where other coaches couldnt, nor would of they dreamt about it?

It is so important to have the correct people in the recruitment and development department, so when you bring players through your system you can manage your cap well, and you would obviously have money leftover to purchase a player(s) where your development hasnt worked out.

imo Pay needs all the help he can get because the supporting staff he has just cant cut the mustard, and the way he is going, with a lackluster supporting staff, he wont be cutting the mustard.

Chris Anderson knows very well what he did for the Storm, as well as the understudies he had, along with other figures who have helped with the Storms recruitment and development success over the years. If Chris is fair dinkum he should bring O'Sullivan from across the ditch as well as Anthony Griffin
We definitely do need a miracle

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how much cap space they have. For some reason even unproven players are signing everywhere else but this club. Who knows how many decades it will be til we attract proven talent again..

Plus every other club but ours cheats the cap so until they wake up and realise playing within the rules in a corrupt competition gets you nowhere, then our club will languish at the bottom of the table.

Grow a pair of balls, and find ways to spend outside the cap like everyone else does. Do they not realise we've won one comp in 23 years? Do they think we can beat the power clubs that blatantly rort the cap solely through scouting and development?

You can't beat cheats without cheating as well. If 15 other teams cheat, its incredibly naive to think they'll catch up by staying under the cap.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score

I reckon it would have helped keeping mozzes longer, but that said they wanted more than a year we offered. With their age and increasing injury risk, it would be risky offering a multi year deal. We already have Foran after all, on a multi year deal and hes a high risk of not playing. Brett's just had a month off injured

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
We need a player like Josh Hodgson it's a shame he's wrapped up until 2022.. that Bateman is a cracking find..

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
We need a player like Josh Hodgson it's a shame he's wrapped up until 2022.. that Bateman is a cracking find..
Went to Raiders Broncos this arvo, Bateman is fucking great.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We will buy a few class players when we can afford to - 2021! Maybe we can get a decent dummy half sooner, but that's about it. Until then we blood some young guys who look like they've got some improvement in them, and grow some juniors. We've got a great foothold in Northern NSW which will pay off in the future. It's not fast enough for a lot of fans who think overnight success is somehow possible, but it is what it is. We're at the bottom and rebuilding. It's silly to say good players won't want to come when we can afford them, cause they will.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We will buy a few class players when we can afford to - 2021! Maybe we can get a decent dummy half sooner, but that's about it. Until then we blood some young guys who look like they've got some improvement in them, and grow some juniors. We've got a great foothold in Northern NSW which will pay off in the future. It's not fast enough for a lot of fans who think overnight success is somehow possible, but it is what it is. We're at the bottom and rebuilding. It's silly to say good players won't want to come when we can afford them, cause they will.
Since we have around $3/4m available this year and around $2m next year I'm not sure why we have to wait until 2021. That's made up of players off contract, which could be supplemented by releasing players. But even without that it's still a decent budget.

Go Dogs

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since we have around $3/4m available this year and around $2m next year I'm not sure why we have to wait until 2021. That's made up of players off contract, which could be supplemented by releasing players. But even without that it's still a decent budget.

Go Dogs
I really want to be wrong and, mate I hope you're right, especially about the $3/4 mil now. You might be right about the $2 mill too, if I'm correct that Brown, Fualalo, Lichaa, Martin, Okunbor, Olive, Saddler, C Smith and Tualau are off contract. Problem with the $2 mill is that those 9 blokes have got to be replaced by 9 other players. Even young blokes coming in (maybe Katoa and Roumanos), still take some of that. Apparently we've started negotiating with Okunbor (hopefully that's slowed down!), and we might want to keep Smith, maybe Martin? Even if we keep none of them I don't see many $$s for good players when we'll need 9, even if they free up a bit more than $2 mill. I can still only see one decent player coming next year (with that $3/4 mill) - unless we can release someone.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I really want to be wrong and, mate I hope you're right, especially about the $3/4 mil now. You might be right about the $2 mill too, if I'm correct that Brown, Fualalo, Lichaa, Martin, Okunbor, Olive, Saddler, C Smith and Tualau are off contract. Problem with the $2 mill is that those 9 blokes have got to be replaced by 9 other players. Even young blokes coming in (maybe Katoa and Roumanos), still take some of that. Apparently we've started negotiating with Okunbor (hopefully that's slowed down!), and we might want to keep Smith, maybe Martin? Even if we keep none of them I don't see many $$s for good players when we'll need 9, even if they free up a bit more than $2 mill. I can still only see one decent player coming next year (with that $3/4 mill) - unless we can release someone.
Minimum is $105k, out of the 9 my guess is only Saddler would be on close to the minimum, that's why I see $2m as being conservative. Salary cap juggling is an art, many things to take into consideration. Plus while back ended contracts aren't allowed it doesn't mean that players have to get paid (contracted) the exact same amount every year. Especially younger players still developing. There's 2 or 3 current development players that could be elevated on the minimum. All up it's not impossible for us to pick up 2 or 3 very decent players.

Go Dogs