Opinion Time to go shopping

Doomsdaydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We are absolutely no chance of snaring any topline player who is contracted with another club.

Our only hope is snaring an off-contract player or a promising player who cannot cement a 1st grade spot with their current club.

So players like Staggs, Fifita, Smith - BUCKLEYS CHANCE

As other kennelers have mentioned previously, players like Robson, Brailey, Lomax there might be the slightest of opportunities of snaring them, though the chances are very slim

If i was Lomax and Robson, i would ask Lafai and Graham their opinions on Canterbury, and how they treat their players.

Brailey could do the same with Josh Morris, Aaron Woods & Jim Dymock

You would also hope that these players are not managed by blokes who manage the likes of Mbye, Woods, Hasler and the likes.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Remember when the line was thrown out that "these kids will be better for it after 50 1st grade games"
Re; Nick Kouparitsas, Heka Nanai, Tim Winitana lol

Where are all the kids that benefited from getting thrown in the deep end at the Knights?

Buying is the only way out of this shit sandwhich so we need to be looking at options before June 30 and figure out who we can release beforehand

pupmichelle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are absolutely no chance of snaring any topline player who is contracted with another club.

Our only hope is snaring an off-contract player or a promising player who cannot cement a 1st grade spot with their current club.

So players like Staggs, Fifita, Smith - BUCKLEYS CHANCE

As other kennelers have mentioned previously, players like Robson, Brailey, Lomax there might be the slightest of opportunities of snaring them, though the chances are very slim

If i was Lomax and Robson, i would ask Lafai and Graham their opinions on Canterbury, and how they treat their players.

Brailey could do the same with Josh Morris, Aaron Woods & Jim Dymock

You would also hope that these players are not managed by blokes who manage the likes of Mbye, Woods, Hasler and the likes.
There are some very valid, yet very frightening points you make out

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes we are trying to go back to build and promote our juniors, which is all good in fantasyland, though we are years away from what we need

We have money in the cap and please dont say we dont. Take out that cheque book and do it the way Bullfrog did

We are in dire straits for a hooker, atleast one top class centre and 2 forwards.

This is not the way you build a team
We are waiting for 2020 end of financial year sales

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You just release a player who is off-contract this year, and there is about 9 of them from memory
True..but we then have to pay the remainder of this years wage as from the blokes off contract not many of them would get a gig elsewhere...and even though we know that contracts really don't mean much, we would be breaking that contract if the player does not want to leave....

Fa'amanu Brown, Danny Fualalo, Morgan Harper, Tui Katoa, Michael Lichaa, Rhyse Martin, John Olive, Francis Tualau

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t agree, we have the financial backing one of the most profitable leagues clubs in the country, meaning rock solid job security for players and their families, a full kit of sponsors, stable management, world class training and recovery facilities together with top shelf support staff. We will have reasonable cap space available next year and more than decent cap space in 2021. That has cost us last year and again this year but that price simply had to be paid. That cloud has fully cleared and we have the demonstrable capacity to develop the players that we have and recruit whoever we want.

Go Dogs
Well I hope your right, but 2001 is two years away and that's along time and what I'm trying to say is if you're a Lewis or Meanie or Okenbur & you get an offer from Souths, Easts , Melbourne , Sharks etc, where you know you have a chance to for fill every players dream of winning a GF. playing with some elite players, and even making representative teams you are not going to hang around for two years because "we have the financial backing one of the most profitable leagues clubs in the country, meaning rock solid job security for players and their families, a full kit of sponsors, stable management, world class training and recovery facilities together with top shelf support staff. We will have reasonable cap space available next year and more than decent cap space in 2021" The way you make sound is like we're on top of the world when in fact this is the worst predicament our club has ever faced.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is bloody interesting!

You would think with all that cabbage coming from Canterbury Leagues, as well as the tremendous pulling power the club has, we would of pulled off some decent signings over the years like;

Latrell Mitchell
Cameron Munster
Brad Maloney
Cooper Cronk
James Tedesco

You really think that now, with the cap space we have available, we can entice superstars to come over here?

The way Ennis, Reynolds, Graham, Mbye & Woods were treated in open public, which "superstar" will be coming here?

Maybe we can entice them with your persuasive manner?!
Thankyou Aucklanddog, I rest my case that's Exactly what I was trying to say & I 100% agree with you.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I really miss Josh Reynolds & the twins they Were BULLDOGS

The better of the two twins was Brett more a dragon.

Josh was crap walked away from the club for more money a real bulldog would have stuck around.

I was glad he walked away.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That is bloody interesting!
You would think with all that cabbage coming from Canterbury Leagues, as well as the tremendous pulling power the club has, we would of pulled off some decent signings over the years like;
Latrell Mitchell
Cameron Munster
Brad Maloney
Cooper Cronk
James Tedesco
You really think that now, with the cap space we have available, we can entice superstars to come over here?
The way Ennis, Reynolds, Graham, Mbye & Woods were treated in open public, which "superstar" will be coming here?
Maybe we can entice them with your persuasive manner?!
I don't believe that it's fair comparing where we are now with where we were. It's a completely different leadership group with a completely different philosophy. Players that we may not have been interested in or not pursued very strongly because of decisions made at the time, which may not be the same decisions that we would make now. It doesn't mater how much "cabbage" there is coming from the Leagues club as long as there is a salary cap that we follow. Many clubs, including us, have proven many times that just because you are down this year it doesn't mean that you are down forever. What keeps clubs down for long periods is a lack of funds, backing from their Leagues Club and sponsors, poor training and recovery facilities, low crowd turnout, etc. We suffer from none of that.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Staggs and Fifita would never happen. They play every game for the Broncos in a one team city with a better coach and squad so I don't see why they'd ever consider us.
A better coach ............... they are 1 from 4 and are now dropping out of most picks to make the 8.

Go Dogs

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A better coach ............... they are 1 from 4 and are now dropping out of most picks to make the 8.

Go Dogs
Seibold shits all over Pay, better squad or not Seibold finished 3rd last year whilst Pay finished 12th. A blind man can see that Seibold's team have some sort of structure and plan to their game whilst our team, well LOL.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't believe that it's fair comparing where we are now with where we were. It's a completely different leadership group with a completely different philosophy. Players that we may not have been interested in or not pursued very strongly because of decisions made at the time, which may not be the same decisions that we would make now. It doesn't mater how much "cabbage" there is coming from the Leagues club as long as there is a salary cap that we follow. Many clubs, including us, have proven many times that just because you are down this year it doesn't mean that you are down forever. What keeps clubs down for long periods is a lack of funds, backing from their Leagues Club and sponsors, poor training and recovery facilities, low crowd turnout, etc. We suffer from none of that.

Go Dogs
We suffer from being on the straight and narrow. Our club needs to bend the rules a little like all the other successful clubs. From 2001 - 2004 we were up there because of breaking the cap. We got busted in 2002 but we were still able to win the premiership in 2004 because we were able to keep the majority of the playing group who were part of the salary cap bust! They took pay cuts. There is no way we would of won the premiership if we didn’t rort the cap because those players wouldn’t of been there in 2004 if we didn’t rort the cap in 2001 & 2002.
It doesn’t matter how good your board or administration is, if we don’t have that little bit extra from power brokers you can forget about a premiership.

Go Dogs

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Seibold shits all over Pay, better squad or not Seibold finished 3rd last year whilst Pay finished 12th. A blind man can see that Seibold's team have some sort of structure and plan to their game whilst our team, well LOL.
Seibold shits all over Pay...LOL. Seibold walked into a star studded Souths squad with the gladiator behind him. Please

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Go Dogs

Financially we will never be down, as long as the Asians are slapping away.

In the football department we are down, and we will obviously one day work our way back up. The problem is that we are playing "catch up". When you have clubs with a terrific junior base, resources and influential people behind the organisation, it is very hard to catch up to there levels, as these clubs are always evolving and getting better year in year out. It does not mean they are winning GF's every year, but behind the scenes, they have protocols in place to always be on top of the opposition.

Take out the one city teams, as we know the type of advantages they have.

Stick to the Sydney market. What do we have as a club, who can provide more for a player and his family over the clubs like the Roosters, Cronulla (this present moment) & Rabbitohs? The junior base around Sydney is crap, other than Western Sydney which is covered by Penrith & Parra.

Off the top of my head, the rorters have a truckload of influential people like Politis, Bouris & Fennessey. How far can these blokes spread there wings? What can they provide for their players and family?

With Inglis retiring, how influential will he be to the future of South Sydney? There have been terrific indigenous players in the past along with current great indigenous players. There will always be a long line of indigenous players lining up to play the NRL, and how influential will Inglis be to bringing these kids over, whom would have Inglis as their idol?

How many club captains and long serving players have we fucked off during the past decade? What kind of precedence are we presenting? Our last "great" was Terry the Great Lamb and Andrew Ryan (not implying that Ryan is in the Terry Lamb league at all). There has been nothing but shenanigans since - SBW, Mason, Ennis, Graham, Reynolds, Klemmer, etc,etc

Roosters have had Minichello, Fittler, Fitzgibbon who finished there careers at the rorters on a high and proud

Souths have the coming of the lord Inglis, S. Burgess will finish up at the rabbitohs and so on

There is something very wrong with our club and if you cant see it, than unfortunately i cannot help you

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
David Fifita, Pangai Junior, Blake, Feki, Farah, Hetherington, Brailey

Seriously if Roosters can get Cronk & Tedesco in one off season why can't we land those players. That would sought our forward pack, dummy half & centre positions

And if Pay wants to run with a utility off the bench I'd rather bring back Reynolds on the cheap. Marshall-King & Lichaa are garbage. Reynolds is far better than those two.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Financially we will never be down, as long as the Asians are slapping away.

In the football department we are down, and we will obviously one day work our way back up. The problem is that we are playing "catch up". When you have clubs with a terrific junior base, resources and influential people behind the organisation, it is very hard to catch up to there levels, as these clubs are always evolving and getting better year in year out. It does not mean they are winning GF's every year, but behind the scenes, they have protocols in place to always be on top of the opposition.

Take out the one city teams, as we know the type of advantages they have.

Stick to the Sydney market. What do we have as a club, who can provide more for a player and his family over the clubs like the Roosters, Cronulla (this present moment) & Rabbitohs? The junior base around Sydney is crap, other than Western Sydney which is covered by Penrith & Parra.

Off the top of my head, the rorters have a truckload of influential people like Politis, Bouris & Fennessey. How far can these blokes spread there wings? What can they provide for their players and family?

With Inglis retiring, how influential will he be to the future of South Sydney? There have been terrific indigenous players in the past along with current great indigenous players. There will always be a long line of indigenous players lining up to play the NRL, and how influential will Inglis be to bringing these kids over, whom would have Inglis as their idol?

How many club captains and long serving players have we fucked off during the past decade? What kind of precedence are we presenting? Our last "great" was Terry the Great Lamb and Andrew Ryan (not implying that Ryan is in the Terry Lamb league at all). There has been nothing but shenanigans since - SBW, Mason, Ennis, Graham, Reynolds, Klemmer, etc,etc

Roosters have had Minichello, Fittler, Fitzgibbon who finished there careers at the rorters on a high and proud

Souths have the coming of the lord Inglis, S. Burgess will finish up at the rabbitohs and so on

There is something very wrong with our club and if you cant see it, than unfortunately i cannot help you
Great post mate. Too many people have blind folds on. While I actually like our board and I voted for them at the 2018 AGM, they are missing the real power brokers. Twin Turbo ate my head off when I suggested we vote a few off and bring in some real hard hitters. I guess he was missing the point and started rattling off all of our current boards qualifications. Who cares if our current board have university degrees or were general managers of successful rsl or rugby clubs back in the 80’s. I myself have a university degree and I’m a qualified CPA. I have people that report to me at work and I have successfully completed a development project and I bleed blue and white. Does that make me a champion football administrator? No it doesn’t.

The fact of the matter is the bar has been raised! Clubs need heavy duty hard hitters these days, the cream of the crop type of power brokers. The question to all clubs is WHAT CAN YOU GIVE A PLAYER BETTER THAN ANOTHER CLUB CAN GIVE? What value can you add to that players future, his life and family? Can you g’tee him a job after he retires? Can you provide real investment opportunities which will see his contract money grow ten fold? Where is the player and his family being housed? Is it just a normal house in the shire or are you providing him and his family with a beach side 5 star apartment on Bondi Beach? Are you providing a housekeeper to clean and cook for him? Is the club dropping off and picking up his children from school? Is the club providing the player with a nanny to look after the kids while he goes out with his wife to dinner? Are you writing off some groceries that are made to look like they are Leagues club expenses but really they are groceries for the players family? These are just some off the perks smart clubs can get away with to win a player over.

You know the great Bullfrog Moore used to provide scholarships to players to come play for the dogs. He used to pay for their college tuition. Back then that was our edge, bullfrog knew exactly what was needed. Obviously stuff like that now are adapted by a lot of clubs, the bar has been raised. What can we now provide or offer a player that’s different to what other clubs can offer?

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Great post mate. Too many people have blind folds on. While I actually like our board and I voted for them at the 2018 AGM, they are missing the real power brokers. Twin Turbo ate my head off when I suggested we vote a few off and bring in some real hard hitters. I guess he was missing the point and started rattling off all of our current boards qualifications. Who cares if our current board have university degrees or were general managers of successful rsl or rugby clubs back in the 80’s. I myself have a university degree and I’m a qualified CPA. I have people that report to me at work and I have successfully completed a development project and I bleed blue and white. Does that make me a champion football administrator? No it doesn’t.

The fact of the matter is the bar has been raised! Clubs need heavy duty hard hitters these days, the cream of the crop type of power brokers. The question to all clubs is WHAT CAN YOU GIVE A PLAYER BETTER THAN ANOTHER CLUB CAN GIVE? What value can you add to that players future, his life and family? Can you g’tee him a job after he retires? Can you provide real investment opportunities which will see his contract money grow ten fold? Where is the player and his family being housed? Is it just a normal house in the shire or are you providing him and his family with a beach side 5 star apartment on Bondi Beach? Are you providing a housekeeper to clean and cook for him? Is the club dropping off and picking up his children from school? Is the club providing the player with a nanny to look after the kids while he goes out with his wife to dinner? Are you writing off some groceries that are made to look like they are Leagues club expenses but really they are groceries for the players family? These are just some off the perks smart clubs can get away with to win a player over.

You know the great Bullfrog Moore used to provide scholarships to players to come play for the dogs. He used to pay for their college tuition. Back then that was our edge, bullfrog knew exactly what was needed. Obviously stuff like that now are adapted by a lot of clubs, the bar has been raised. What can we now provide or offer a player that’s different to what other clubs can offer?

You are spot on mate! I tick off all your points about the business structures and success

I myself voted for the new board and they have done good as well as bad!

The most dissapointing move so far, has been the handling of Mbye, Woods & Klemmer moves. It was dissapointing how it was carried out for the public to see. That has created alot of damage for future players to come to the club.

The way they handled the Hasler fiasco was brilliant! Till this day noone knows what the payout was and it was done in a quick, professional and respectful manner.

The key to ongoing success, is the approach you take with recruitment and development. With that you need the best of the scouts and development coaches, something which we do not have now. (Just take a look at our squad and junior base now!)

One example of having a great coach, i.e Bellamy. How many undervalue players did he bring in from other clubs and slot them into the Storm system, and untapped their potential where other coaches couldnt, nor would of they dreamt about it?

It is so important to have the correct people in the recruitment and development department, so when you bring players through your system you can manage your cap well, and you would obviously have money leftover to purchase a player(s) where your development hasnt worked out.

imo Pay needs all the help he can get because the supporting staff he has just cant cut the mustard, and the way he is going, with a lackluster supporting staff, he wont be cutting the mustard.

Chris Anderson knows very well what he did for the Storm, as well as the understudies he had, along with other figures who have helped with the Storms recruitment and development success over the years. If Chris is fair dinkum he should bring O'Sullivan from across the ditch as well as Anthony Griffin

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How coul
The better of the two twins was Brett more a dragon.

Josh was crap walked away from the club for more money a real bulldog would have stuck around.

I was glad he walked away.
How could one be better than the other they were identical twins, Josh gave us many years of loyal service both in attack and defence, not many tries went in on the Morris side of the field, They probably would have stayed if we had offered them the right deal, But don't say they were crap. what about all the others we let go - Thurston, Graham, Reynolds, Mbye, Klemmer, Woods, Ennis, Kasiano, Eastwood, Lane, Pritchard, Rona, look at the way they were discarded from our club. Are you going to say that they were crap? They Where Bulldogs, just look around and see what we have left.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How coul

How could one be better than the other they were identical twins, Josh gave us many years of loyal service both in attack and defence, not many tries went in on the Morris side of the field, They probably would have stayed if we had offered them the right deal, But don't say they were crap. what about all the others we let go - Thurston, Graham, Reynolds, Mbye, Klemmer, Woods, Ennis, Kasiano, Eastwood, Lane, Pritchard, Rona, look at the way they were discarded from our club. Are you going to say that they were crap? They Where Bulldogs, just look around and see what we have left.
I said renoylds was crap. Didn’t say anyone else was.