Dean Pay on NRL360 tonight

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Be nice to see what he has to say.. make for an interesting watch anyway..!!

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
And I thought I had hairy arms. Someone needs to tell him to wear long sleeve shirts.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And I thought I had hairy arms. Someone needs to tell him to wear long sleeve shirts.
Why? I mean girls are being empowered by having hairy armpits. A man shouldn’t hide his testosterone effects. But he could do with a wax it was quite eye catchy lol

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Played really well and played some good footy.. good stuff pay old boy :smiley:

Now Kent is grilling him lol..!! Crawley is a tosser too.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
basically wants to invest more in juniors

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
- Get more NRL games into our young guys and develop them into stars.
- Create a line where if a player goes another fills in (Melbourne style when stars leave)
- Salary cap restricted until 2021.
- 2021 we'll be going after a big franchise player (Ponga was used as an example by Pay)

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He spoke well....bringing juniors through and being competitive.

He will grow into this role nicely as he gets more comfortable with the media stuff.

I think Pay will be a long term coach

Would have liked to see him give Crawley a back hander but wishful thinking

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wants a good Production line for juniors, wants these young guys to get 40/50 games under their belts , looking for a franchise name type player (ponga) for example.. and was also asked if he wanted the 12 month contact.. he said of corse, he would like 10 years lol.

After hearing him chat tonight I have a little more respect for Pay and I am happy to back him and his plan going forward.

Until he puts no more faith in me I will give him the Benefit of the doubt for his future plans.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
- spoke a lot about the salary cap
- said the club basically has its hands tied until 2021 because of the back ended contracts
- back ended contracts wont be done at the club after that
- the club is investing in juniors now so by the time 2021 comes around and we can purchase a marquee player(s) then the rest of our squad will be experienced while taking up less cap space
- Both morris boys were offered contracts but it was their decision to leave as they wanted to finish their careers at a club they saw could win a premiership
- The decision to move on klemmer was because we could use his back ended contract money to buy napa and also get 2-3 younger players

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Imagine fast forwarding to 2021.

The likes of Lewis, Martin, JMK etc. will all be 50+ NRL game players who had built up experience and combinations altogether and then also knowing we have an ability to be aggressive in the player market again.

It really does put things into perspective on how we're going at the moment. Things are going to be tough for a little while longer, but as long as we show up and give it a crack like we did last week every round - we'll definitely shake things up.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just a summary if you missed it:

Parra game – the score wasn’t representative of real game.

Kieran Foran fantastic few games. Had surgery this afternoon, gone for 10-12 weeks, real blow to team.

Players brought in did well, added enthusiasm. Put Jackson in the middle which helped, That allowed Napa to play more minutes.

Competed with warriors first 20, longer with Parra then better again with tigers – it took 54 minutes for them to score.

Panel wanted to understand cap issues. Asked about the Klemmer/Napa situation. Pay said we saved money because Klemmer was backended and we can channel the savings to younger players. Mbye and Woods exactly the same situation – backended contracts.

Problems until 2021 with backended contracts, won’t happen again with current administration..

Crawley says how do you release players but still have issues. Pay said we have some money to spend but we need to be careful how we spend it.

Pay was asked about the Morris boys – said they were both coming to end career, wanted to go to squad where they could challenge for premiership. Decision to leave was theirs.

To manage salary cap we need to develop players – if other clubs come to poach good players need to have others ready to replace them. Used the Storm as an example of a team who had replacement players for those who leave/retire.

Was asked if the previous board/coach left things in a bad way – Pay said they were creating a window to win a comp, they almost got there but the gamble didn’t pay off.

Crawley defended Hasler – Ikin was asking how the roster would have been able to work going forward. Kent chimed in and also defended Hasler. Kent says he made it work at Manly, lol.

Final say on recruitment is by a committee with 4 or 5 people including Andrew Hill.

Pay was asked if he had players in mind for 2021 – he said we have to target player similar to Ponga, we have to identify that player, he called it a franchise player.

Pay said his contract extension allowed some certainty, would have loved longer.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
That was an interesting question about which marquee players we might target in 21.
Even mentioning Pongas name will ruffle a few feathers.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The photo of Dean Pay, at first I thought it's a remake of the Planet of the Apes.

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a summary if you missed it:

Parra game – the score wasn’t representative of real game.

Kieran Foran fantastic few games. Had surgery this afternoon, gone for 10-12 weeks, real blow to team.

Players brought in did well, added enthusiasm. Put Jackson in the middle which helped, That allowed Napa to play more minutes.

Competed with warriors first 20, longer with Parra then better again with tigers – it took 54 minutes for them to score.

Panel wanted to understand cap issues. Asked about the Klemmer/Napa situation. Pay said we saved money because Klemmer was backended and we can channel the savings to younger players. Mbye and Woods exactly the same situation – backended contracts.

Problems until 2021 with backended contracts, won’t happen again with current administration..

Crawley says how do you release players but still have issues. Pay said we have some money to spend but we need to be careful how we spend it.

Pay was asked about the Morris boys – said they were both coming to end career, wanted to go to squad where they could challenge for premiership. Decision to leave was theirs.

To manage salary cap we need to develop players – if other clubs come to poach good players need to have others ready to replace them. Used the Storm as an example of a team who had replacement players for those who leave/retire.

Was asked if the previous board/coach left things in a bad way – Pay said they were creating a window to win a comp, they almost got there but the gamble didn’t pay off.

Crawley defended Hasler – Ikin was asking how the roster would have been able to work going forward. Kent chimed in and also defended Hasler. Kent says he made it work at Manly, lol.

Final say on recruitment is by a committee with 4 or 5 people including Andrew Hill.

Pay was asked if he had players in mind for 2021 – he said we have to target player similar to Ponga, we have to identify that player, he called it a franchise player.

Pay said his contract extension allowed some certainty, would have loved longer.
He spoke very well. I think we all have to be patient.
Some people have to realise its not the middle east where they would kill for less.
Hopefully we sign brailey or robson for next year and maybe have a look for a centre and front rower. Look to england.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting to note that Zero Tackle has Kayln Ponga's contract up after 2021...

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Played really well and played some good footy.. good stuff pay old boy :smiley:

Now Kent is grilling him lol..!! Crawley is a tosser too.
Do you want Kent to be “nice” and not hurt his feelings?
Dean gay is a grown man I’m sure he’ll survive as will you.