Simple but effective recruitment strategy

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We just need to start enticing players to break their contracts - every other club does it to us.

Let's throw some ridiculous coin at Ponga just to piss off Newcastle - 10 year, 20 mil deal starting in 2021 or whenever his contract is due to end.
Agree we are a sitting duck no backbone and other clubs shit on us

Grow some fkn balls and go after the opposition key players ffs

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good ideas good pros and cons put forward I think an AFL draft is the way to go to spread talent seem to work for the Aussie rules why can’t it work for nrl?
Dont really know the details about draft but wouldnt this involve nrl paying for all junior development bills? Otherwise why would clubs subsidise junior clubs when they wont have the first pick of players?
Wouldnt ppl be able to challenge this as the arl lost the case years ago when they tried to introduce draft?

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Good ideas good pros and cons put forward I think an AFL draft is the way to go to spread talent seem to work for the Aussie rules why can’t it work for nrl?
The problem with the AFL draft is that it completely destroys any semblance of local players making their way through the grades. Plus it don't actually work (in evening up the competition), for example we complain about not having won the NRL big one for 15 years, the Brisbane Lyons haven't cracked it for even longer (2003) and Hawthorn won 3 years in a row (2013, 2014 & 2015). Compared to the NRL where no one has won even 2 in row since the Broncos in 1992/93.

Go Dogs

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the club has been working on this principle since they cleared some cap space. CHN is the first example of it. Robson may become the next example. And if Cogger and Meaney wind up being any good, it's proof that our re-build is progressing well. Slowly but steadily. The main issue is that we're not the only club trying this. Even the Broncos will poach good juniors if they see merit in them.

At the end of the day some will head our way for the opportunity to progress into the NRL. Others won't. It's not a simple task to sign quality players. It's a competitive market and player managers do a good job of making quality youngsters money hungry. So despite sometimes offering fair contracts it won't always work.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have a recruitment strategy...

How about continuing to offer contracts to x bulldogs juniors and players including SBW.

Barba ( redemption mission ) lol
Okunbor
Hoppa
Rona
Smith
Foran
Lewis
Tapau
Cook / Mahoney
Napa
CHN
SBW
Jacko

Kasiano
Finucane
RFM
Reynolds / Elliot

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Then that will kill the tribalism of the NRL and the family club aura we still cling too.

Besides, the market economy works in the nrl if contracts were enforced better. Deals get made and all teams come out relatively equal.
Also teams will tank to get draft picks

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I was actually snooping around for talent to inbox via Facebook to bring to the dogs but something struck me. There’s actually not a lot of known talent in the lower grades. In previous years there wa always guys I’d look at the lineups and be surprised they would find themselves in the lower grades, but after snooping the weekend, the only player of note was Bevan Besanvalle French.
The onset of retirements and crim charges from last season has left a massive talent depth gap that you see in the lower grades. Maybe we aren’t far off the pace, just need a hooker, centre and half

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yep super league is choc full of solid players ATM. Would love a handful of them, pretty jealous Canberra got Bateman
Oliver Partington ( Storm are after him), Bemjamin Jullien ( already spent time at Broncos ), Ryan Sutton, James Bentley and Matty Costello are very good forwards.

Hakim Miloudi, Will Dagger, Will Oakes, Darnell McIntosh, Nick Rawsthorne, James Roby, Jonny Lomax are good three quarters, the last 2 formed a lethal combination with Barba.

Danny Walker is a traditional gritty pommy dummy half similar to Hodgson, Josh Ganson is an outstanding defensive hooker, can kick in general play and has a killer pass.

Harvey Livett is a versatile player that can play center, half-back or even in the back-row.

I just returned to Australia after spending nearly 6 months in Europe. These are a few talented young players off the top of my head that have shown interest in playing in the NRL. I believe most are better then what we have at the moment.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oliver Partington ( Storm are after him), Bemjamin Jullien ( already spent time at Broncos ), Ryan Sutton, James Bentley and Matty Costello are very good forwards.

Hakim Miloudi, Will Dagger, Will Oakes, Darnell McIntosh, Nick Rawsthorne, James Roby, Jonny Lomax are good three quarters, the last 2 formed a lethal combination with Barba.

Danny Walker is a traditional gritty pommy dummy half similar to Hodgson, Josh Ganson is an outstanding defensive hooker, can kick in general play and has a killer pass.

Harvey Livett is a versatile player that can play center, half-back or even in the back-row.

I just returned to Australia after spending nearly 6 months in Europe. These are a few talented young players off the top of my head that have shown interest in playing in the NRL. I believe most are better then what we have at the moment.
Sutton is already playing in nrl

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep super league is choc full of solid players ATM. Would love a handful of them, pretty jealous Canberra got Bateman
Oath, he's a good one. I love these SL guys because they want to make a statement everytime they take the field

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Yeah man plenty of exciting players in that list. I'm loving the super league. Was a St.Helens fan in the Sean Long days. Followed Danny Brough throughout his career wasn't not a fun of Huddersfield... but now he's back at Wakefield I'm on their bandwagon, gutted Tommy Johnstone got injured though, he's one player I would love to see in the NRL, preferably at the Dogs

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score

This is just a reminder to some how we use to defend. Can you imagine our current pack playing against the old mob lol

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thomas Flegler is wow and believe the hype
Dylan brown wants to go “fishing”
Britton Nikora won’t stay at crapolla and is a gun
Reece Robson is a class hooker or manese Fainu

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hayze perham
Harris tevita from the warriors are easy targets too

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

This is just a reminder to some how we use to defend. Can you imagine our current pack playing against the old mob lol
No teams in the modern era would be tough enough to take that team on!!

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah man plenty of exciting players in that list. I'm loving the super league. Was a St.Helens fan in the Sean Long days. Followed Danny Brough throughout his career wasn't not a fun of Huddersfield... but now he's back at Wakefield I'm on their bandwagon, gutted Tommy Johnstone got injured though, he's one player I would love to see in the NRL, preferably at the Dogs
Danny Brough the old warhorse, winner of the 2013 Super League 'Man of Steel' and the first player ever to win a second 'Albert Goldthorpe' medal. A perfect player that we could have signed for 2019/20 to kick start our rebuilding. Without a doubt, along with Cameron Smith, he is one of the best captain/hooker/goal kickers in the last 15 years. After the 2013 World Cup, Brough alongside Sonny Bill Williams and Greg Inglis, was shortlisted for the RLIF International Player of the Year. He also beat Smith for the hooking spot in the RLIF team of the year, not an easy feat when you consider that Australia won the World Cup and Scotland were knocked out in the quarter finals. His performances and leadership in the 2014 European Cup earned him 'Player of the Tournament' and easily won the 'Prince of Scots' award as the best player to play for the Bravehearts.

Tommy Johnstone is regarded as the best young talent, in English rugby league. He's one of the fastest three quarters and without a doubt best finishers in the game. He's as fast, if not faster then Addo-Carr and James Roberts. Before settling on Rugby League as his main sporting priority, Tommy represented and achieved accolades for Leeds and Yorkshire sprinting team at Indoor athletics. Last year he had a stellar year for Trinity scoring 24 tries, the second most in 2018. One was an unbelievable length of the field effort considered to be the try of the season. His defense is solid and has displayed his ability to handle bigger men like Konrad Hurrell and Josh Charnley. He will not come cheap as Wakefield Trinity have signed him for four seasons, an unprecedented step by the club.

Like you I'll sign those two in a flash.