Opinion My dad would have been proud!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My father grew up in Canterbury and went to Canterbury boys high. He was a life long Bulldogs supporter. He was the only person in my life that really loved football and the Bulldogs club, because sadly, none of my friends are really into football. (fucking ridiculous right?)
Sadly, my dad suddenly became ill and passed away in early December, and I will dearly miss him! I will miss those chats we would have after a win or a loss, a new signing, or about our seasons chances.
Given the letter that Dean Pay has penned to us fans recently, I have been thinking of my old man a lot, and I know how proud he would be of where our club is at right now.
We really are on the way up, and it looks to have been a great choice by our club members to vote in the new board including Lynn and Chris Anderson, and a great choice by these leaders to bring Dean Pay back to the club as coach.
I'm not sharing this story to invite your sympathies, I'm writing this story because like my father, I am also very proud of where our club is at right now.
I also want to thank you all for being a part of this forum as it is now the only place where I can share my love and passion for our great club.

GO THE DOGGIES!!!!!

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
i know dean said he wants people to stop looking down on the club, but im happy to make an exception because your dad will be looking down at you and the doggies so hopefully we can make him even more proud this year

_BT_

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My father grew up in Canterbury and went to Canterbury boys high. He was a life long Bulldogs supporter. He was the only person in my life that really loved football and the Bulldogs club, because sadly, none of my friends are really into football. (fucking ridiculous right?)
Sadly, my dad suddenly became ill and passed away in early December, and I will dearly miss him! I will miss those chats we would have after a win or a loss, a new signing, or about our seasons chances.
Given the letter that Dean Pay has penned to us fans recently, I have been thinking of my old man a lot, and I know how proud he would be of where our club is at right now.
We really are on the way up, and it looks to have been a great choice by our club members to vote in the new board including Lynn and Chris Anderson, and a great choice by these leaders to bring Dean Pay back to the club as coach.
I'm not sharing this story to invite your sympathies, I'm writing this story because like my father, I am also very proud of where our club is at right now.
I also want to thank you all for being a part of this forum as it is now the only place where I can share my love and passion for our great club.

GO THE DOGGIES!!!!!
Beautiful post.

I lost my parents recently. I miss the small things like talking footy and weekly tips with my Dad. :(

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

GO THE DOGGIES!!!!!
Great post. Sorry for your loss.

Let's hope for a great season.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
My father was also a lifelong Dogs fan before he passed in 2008. He is still with me every game in spirit.

His favourite player was Steve Mortimer. He would rave on about his cover defence especially and how my brother and I should try replicate this in our own games, rolling tyre tubes down the sidelines for us to practice our technique.

I miss talking footy with him but I am grateful for my Bulldogs mates here at TK. Nobody really understands a dogs fan but a dogs fan.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm with you.
My dad, who lived his early life within walking distance from Belmore Oval, passed away 2 months after the 2004 Grand Final, my son was there with us, making 3 generations. Hopefully there will be 3 generations of us at the next Grand Final win, with the 4th looking down as I know he will.

Go Dogs

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

GO THE DOGGIES!!!!!
Great post. For what it's worth I usually go to most games with just 1 of my mates, we would be more than happy to have another doggies supporter with us to talk footy and enjoy the game.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. Hopefully the Dogs can keep your fond memories alive.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i know dean said he wants people to stop looking down on the club, but im happy to make an exception because your dad will be looking down at you and the doggies so hopefully we can make him even more proud this year
Very well said. Thanks for the kind words.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your father.

My grandparents (both since passed) got me (and the entire family) into Rugby League (and the Bulldogs). They lived walking distance from Belmore Sports Ground so as kids we'd stay over their place on a weekend and they'd dress us in our dogs gear and take us to games.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Beautiful post.

I lost my parents recently. I miss the small things like talking footy and weekly tips with my Dad. :(
Sorry to hear of your loss mate. Must be tough without them both?!
Lucky we have a place like the Kennel to discuss our team.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My father was also a lifelong Dogs fan before he passed in 2008. He is still with me every game in spirit.

His favourite player was Steve Mortimer. He would rave on about his cover defence especially and how my brother and I should try replicate this in our own games, rolling tyre tubes down the sidelines for us to practice our technique.

I miss talking footy with him but I am grateful for my Bulldogs mates here at TK. Nobody really understands a dogs fan but a dogs fan.
So true. There is something special amongst fans of the same team, especially our team!

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

GO THE DOGGIES!!!!!
Hey flame, sorry for you and your family’s losss.
That was an awesome story and thank you for sharing Mate. I’m sure the boys will do your old man proud. It’s shapping up to be a massive 2019.. and we will all be there cheering on the doggies!!

GO DOGGS

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm with you.
My dad, who lived his early life within walking distance from Belmore Oval, passed away 2 months after the 2004 Grand Final, my son was there with us, making 3 generations. Hopefully there will be 3 generations of us at the next Grand Final win, with the 4th looking down as I know he will.

Go Dogs
Nice to hear he went out on a high. I'm sure my old man will be watching on as we surprise everyone this year!

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I lost my old man nearly 3 years ago, he was a bulldogs fan every week except when we played the dragons.
I miss giving him shit when the dogs would inevitably beat them.
You don’t need to hang on to those memories, they’ll never go away.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Great post. For what it's worth I usually go to most games with just 1 of my mates, we would be more than happy to have another doggies supporter with us to talk footy and enjoy the game.
If I make it down to Sydney this year for a game I will let you know!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hey flame, sorry for you and your family’s losss.
That was an awesome story and thank you for sharing Mate. I’m sure the boys will do your old man proud. It’s shapping up to be a massive 2019.. and we will all be there cheering on the doggies!!

GO DOGGS
Cheers mate. Thanks for your kind words. I'm confident we are going to have a very good year!

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Cheers mate. Thanks for your kind words. I'm confident we are going to have a very good year!
Very welcome brother, I’ve only known you through being on TK for the past year, but we all like family and We all with ya 110% Let’s get this season started already. Have a good day mate..!!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Very welcome brother, I’ve only known you through being on TK for the past year, but we all like family and We all with ya 110% Let’s get this season started already. Have a good day mate..!!
Cheers mate. Really appreciate it!