Official Bulldogs vs Raiders NRL Trial - Sat 23rd Feb - Discussion Thread

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Hoppa was great at fullback, but id rather Meaney at fullback and let him develop instead of having to deal with Montoya at centre...
If Will is to be fullback we have to try sign a decent centre from another club asap.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hoppa was great at fullback, but id rather Meaney at fullback and let him develop instead of having to deal with Montoya at centre...
If Will is to be fullback we have to try sign a decent centre from another club asap.
What did Montoya do wrong? Defended well and ran off Foran well. Couldn't have asked for more. Hopoate has to start at 1.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't think Pay will be too disappointed, if anything performances of players in First half and non performance in second would have only confirmed his views on certain players...

If we do look at making a mid season signing, I know the players we would want to move on....John Olive. Useless in attack and terrible in defense.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
More penalties for Raiders.. *rolls eyes*

I thought the Canberra player was going to end up over the fence.

Only chink in Okunbors armour is defence.

Refs blowing them over the line.
He’s out of position constantly coming in because John Olive has no idea what he’s doing out there

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't think Pay will be too disappointed, if anything performances of players in First half and non performance in second would have only confirmed his views on certain players...

If we do look at making a mid season signing, I know the players we would want to move on....John Olive. Useless in attack and terrible in defense.
Shouldn’t have made it past B grade in a local comp

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
What did Montoya do wrong? Defended well and ran off Foran well. Couldn't have asked for more. Hopoate has to start at 1.
Nah not a fan of his at centre, can carry an honest type like Holland as hes really putting in, but not Montoya, just a stop gap solution tbh.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What I saw today.
Foz is still the best half at the club, and is looking good. If we’re any chance this year, it’ll be on his back.
Prince carrying form from last season.
Team playing fast and looking fit.
Meanys gonna be ok.
Hoppa is deadly at center.
Okinbour is proof you need to be more than just tall to play wing.
Hoppa will be fullback round one

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoppa has to play center. We just don't have the depth to not play him there and Meany at FB. Olive is garbage, Montaya is barely a winger and I don't know what Pay is thinking playing him there, Harper is not ready. Only other options are playing either CHN or Chris Smith there.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I really like the style of play from that first 40 minutes.
Offloads, quick hands good support play. Simple game plan but will be effective most weeks.
A lot of positives to take out of that first 40 minutes.
Round 1 I'd have;
Hoppa
Smith Right Wing
Harper Right Centre
Holland Left Centre
CC Left wing
Foran right side D
Lewis Left side D
Tolman
Liccha
Napa
Jackson Left edge
RFM Right edge
Elliot
JMK - played well today.
Sue
CHN
Ogden or Fualalo

I'd throw Harper in there and see how he goes, otherwise it would have to be Montoya. It will be an inexperienced right edge with Foran, RFM, Harper and Smith but nothing to lose.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wouldn’t have Montoya or olive any where near our fg side ever
Might contaminate them with incompotence

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like the style of play from that first 40 minutes.
Offloads, quick hands good support play. Simple game plan but will be effective most weeks.
A lot of positives to take out of that first 40 minutes.
Round 1 I'd have;
Hoppa
Smith Right Wing
Harper Right Centre
Holland Left Centre
CC Left wing
Foran right side D
Lewis Left side D
Tolman
Liccha
Napa
Jackson Left edge
RFM Right edge
Elliot
JMK - played well today.
Sue
CHN
Ogden or Fualalo

I'd throw Harper in there and see how he goes, otherwise it would have to be Montoya. It will be an inexperienced right edge with Foran, RFM, Harper and Smith but nothing to lose.
C Smith too slow and heavy for a centre position. CHN just hasn’t impressed me at all...he’s bloody lazy

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not concerned personally about certain players not going 100 miles an hour... who wants to cop an injury in a trial and miss the opener