News Broncos next forward superstar Pat Carrigan rejects huge bid from the Canterbury Bulldogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Brisbane have staved off a poaching raid for one of the code’s next forward superstars with young gun Pat Carrigan rejecting a $1 million bid from the Bulldogs in his quest to be a 10-year Bronco.

Carrigan will make his senior Broncos debut on Saturday night in a trial against Souths Logan at Warwick and is rated Brisbane’s next ironman in the mould of Origin hardmen Josh McGuire and Corey Parker.

Such is Brisbane’s regard for Carrigan, Broncos recruitment chiefs were prepared to release McGuire to the Cowboys to retain the 21-year-old as three NRL rivals _ Canberra, Newcastle and Canterbury _ targeted him over summer.

The Bulldogs went hard for the Queensland under-20s skipper, with club legend Chris Anderson flying to Brisbane last year to meet with Carrigan armed with a lucrative three-year NRL contract.

Pat Carrigan has rejected an offer the Canterbury Bulldogs. Pic Peter Wallis
When chief enforcer David Klemmer quit the Bulldogs, Canterbury upped the ante to poach Carrigan, but Brisbane delivered an emphatic riposte, securing the forward sensation to an upgraded deal until the end of 2022.

Broncos legend Darren Lockyer believes Carrigan can be the discovery of 2019 and the Junior Kangaroos star has rocketed into contention for the NRL season-opener against Melbourne _ starting on Saturday in his Brisbane baptism.

Leading NRL coaches Nathan Brown, Ricky Stuart and Dean Pay all liked the look of Carrigan, but the 104kg workhorse is determined to be part of Brisbane’s next generation hungry for another Broncos title.

“The Bulldogs went really hard for Pat,” said his agent Jeff Jurotte.

“We received interest from several NRL clubs but Canterbury led the way. They flew up and had meetings with Pat and myself, we spoke for about four or five hours and they were really determined to get him.

Carrigan, in action for Wynnum-Manly wants to be a 10-year player at the Broncos. (AAP Image/Richard Walker)
“I was up front with the Broncos _ I said there is a good offer from the Bulldogs on the table.

“But Pat said, ‘It’s not all about the money, I want to back myself and make it here at the Broncos, I want to play for the club for the next 10 years’.

“He is the most mature, dedicated young player I have ever seen.

“Pat is a born leader. He was school captain at Gregory Terrace, he captained the Queensland under-20s last year and he can be a future captain of the Broncos.”

In his maiden year in the Intrust Super Cup last season, Carrigan excelled against hardened bookends. The Wynnum Manly rookie averaged 67 minutes, 148 metres and 35 tackles per game _ the type of numbers synonymous with former Broncos hardmen McGuire and Parker.

Carrigan has been compared to Corey Parker and Josh McGuire. (Photo by Ian Hitchcock/Getty Images)
Brisbane assistant coach Kurt Richards, who will take charge of the Baby Broncos in Warwick, confirmed Carrigan is pushing for an NRL debut in round one against the Storm.

“Certainly that is one of Patty’s goals (to play NRL this year),” Richards said.

“We see him as someone that can fill a hole for us. He has a few things to work on, but he’s a great talent and this game is a good chance for him.

“With Josh McGuire moving on, the young guys like Pat have an opportunity now.

“He reminds me of Jai Arrow (Titans’ Origin forward) with his workrate and effort and what he brings in that regard.

“Once he fixes the little things, he has the effort areas to be a very good player.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/a88db37436ce1e947f9eca1035874084

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Are the club that impressed with the players and depth we have in 1-5 that they keep looking for forwards.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
What salary cap...
As if Broncos could match our offer to a player that will see minimal first grade. Under the table payments and incentives for sure

Last edited:

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What salary cap As if Broncos could match our offer to a player that will see minimal first grade. Under the table payments and incentives for sure
Haha. Just remember that "players take less to play at Brisbane" but when said player leaves he was on $1,000,000,000,000,000,000.43 a season.

Like when that woman basher Jimmy the overrated jet joined them from Gold Coke. He was on a billion dollars at whatever Gold Coke is called this week but is now playing for $20 a season for the Gronkos.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Brisbane's forwards coming through atm are probably the best batch I have seen and they are all coming through at the same time. It's wild.

8. Tom Flegler
10. Payne Haas
11. David Fifita
12. Jaydn Su'A
13. Patrick Carrigan

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We got the roosters superstar forward........ so im happy with that................ hahahahahahaha NOT!!!

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Making the Broncos have to pay more and any other Club is a good consolation prize. No point allowing competition to fly under the radar with great talent without ensuring they experience the salary cap pressure for the privilege. ;)

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Making the Broncos have to pay more and any other Club is a good consolation prize. No point allowing competition to fly under the radar with great talent without ensuring they experience the salary cap pressure for the privilege. ;)
We didn't really make the Broncos pay more though. We offered him a huge contract and he knocked us back to stay with them with a view of beong a 10 year player there.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Brisbane's forwards coming through atm are probably the best batch I have seen and they are all coming through at the same time. It's wild.

8. Tom Flegler
10. Payne Haas
11. David Fifita
12. Jaydn Su'A
13. Patrick Carrigan
Be nice to be a one team town....
Imagine us get first choice of the best in Sydney ....
in the end they won’t be able to keep that group of forwards in the one team even with under the table payments

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We didn't really make the Broncos pay more though. We offered him a huge contract and he knocked us back to stay with them with a view of beong a 10 year player there.
"Brisbane delivered an emphatic riposte, securing the forward sensation to an upgraded deal until the end of 2022".

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Are the club that impressed with the players and depth we have in 1-5 that they keep looking for forwards.
Keep in mind the offer was made in the time after Klemmer left and before we signed Napa.
So I see it as being very logical and smart.

Go Dogs

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mr I must have taken down the rumour I posted about Carrigan coming to dogs last year, Mr I probably knew that the deal fell through. Well done Mr I great moderating work champ, very pro active and quick on the buttons!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its virtually impossible to lure away any players from Brisbane that they want to keep but this the smart way of recruiting and sooner or later we will land the right players.

Last edited:

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

8. Tom Flegler
10. Payne Haas
11. David Fifita
12. Jaydn Su'A
13. Patrick Carrigan
Agree
Haas is an absolute monster.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I reckon we may have gone for him before Napa, with Pay always looking for youth with potential, who are also cheaper than Napa. But now we have Napa we probably aren't looking for forwards now.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
"Quest to be a 10 year Bronco" ... and he's 21 already. So he's expecting to be signed to the Broncos till 31 years of age or more (and without a season of injury). OK .. right.

I'd rather have a player who WANTS to play for the club than one just coming for the money.

We have quite a few decent forwards already, don't need anymore.

Besides now that Skeletor has moved on from Brisbane, if Seibold fails to fire players will question signing with them.

Mr I must have taken down the rumour I posted about Carrigan coming to dogs last year, Mr I probably knew that the deal fell through. Well done Mr I great moderating work champ, very pro active and quick on the buttons!
No, the Rumour forum gets cleared every year to make way for more rumours. When they done eventuate or go quiet they get moved to the Rumour archive :grinning:.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

8. Tom Flegler
10. Payne Haas
11. David Fifita
12. Jaydn Su'A
13. Patrick Carrigan
Pangai Jnr and Ofahengaue?

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
"Quest to be a 10 year Bronco" ... and he's 21 already. So he's expecting to be signed to the Broncos till 31 years of age or more (and without a season of injury). OK .. right.

I'd rather have a player who WANTS to play for the club than one just coming for the money.

We have quite a few decent forwards already, don't need anymore.

Besides now that Skeletor has moved on from Brisbane, if Seibold fails to fire players will question signing with them.

No, the Rumour forum gets cleared every year to make way for more rumours. When they done eventuate or go quiet they get moved to the Rumour archive :grinning:.
Just giving you a compliment champ