News Former NRL star Michael Ennis joins Canberra Raiders coaching staff

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Former NRL star Michael Ennis joins Canberra Raiders coaching staff

He once earned the ire of the Canberra faithful after a post-game Viking clap celebration in 2016.

Now, Michael Ennis will be working with the Raiders in a bid to develop their stars and take them to another level.

The former Cronulla premiership winner has signed on with the Green Machine as a coaching consultant which will involve attending weekly training sessions and working alongside Raiders coach Ricky Stuart.

I’ve always stayed in touch with ‘Sticky’ (Stuart), he coached me a number of years ago,” Ennis told the Raiders website.

“I’ve always loved his passion for the game and we’ve stayed in touch and talk footy.

“He approached me about coming down here and doing some work and it was the right fit.

“I like the potential in the squad — (Josh) Hodgson’s a terrific player so to work with him will be a good experience. (Siliva) Havili there played terrific last year as well, and a forward pack that’s had a number of changes to it. It’ll be nice to see them evolve without Shannon Boyd and Junior Paulo.”

Raiders fans still won’t have forgotten the sight of Ennis mimicking the Viking clap after the Sharks beat their team in qualifying final in 2016 — a victory that propelled the black, white and blue to their history-making title win.

Ennis said he hoped to turn the Raiders’ fortunes around after just one finals appearance since 2013.

“I’ve always enjoyed the passion of the Raiders fans,” Ennis said.

“That night, I’ve never seen GIO Stadium like it. It was a pretty special night for us.

“It was one of the hardest matches in my career which proved to be vital … the carry-on afterwards probably not so good now!

“Hopefully I can help bring some enjoyment to Raiders fans this year.”

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should have hired him. Just to stop him from bitching about us

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yup!! Should have grabbed him for a role at our club.. in fact should have kept him instead of letting him go to the sharks.

What’s done is done but he was great as a bulldog and should have remained. Never mind .. onto the next chapter,bigger an better things are ahead for the doggies !!

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ennis: so mouth off and run and hide behind your own players because the ref can't do anything.

Canberra player: but what if he comes at me?

Ennis: run faster?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Fans will love this after he completely mocked the shit out of them and took the piss whilst playing for Cronulla, over the Viking Clap! :D

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shows how much of a hypocrite Ricky is.

Didn’t he say he disrespected the crowd or something?

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It makes no sense that he wasn’t asked to assist at Canterbury in some capacity. Painful stuff and a real opportunity missed.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Fuck hes an annoying **** and overrated player

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The journeyman is going to ruin Hodgson's game.

Hodgson shits all over him in every aspect of his game.

Hope this means we see less of his head on Foxsports...

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At this rate in a few years time Ennis will have been involved in every nrl club! Can't respect someone that hops from club to club as much as this goose

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
The Kennel logic when a player leaves the Dogs at becomes involved in another club - He is a fucking shit **** who was overrated and is an idiot who has no clue

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Not at all... bloke was dead average for us the last year or two of his contract.

He hates us... deal with it.
Come on man. Des was a fan of his number 9's just tackling that was fucked Ennis. He clearly showed why he is a great 9 when he was at the Sharks.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not at all... bloke was dead average for us the last year or two of his contract.

He hates us... deal with it.
Despite the limitations Des put on him, he learned to manage the game beautifully for us from dummy-half and his absence from the GF team ruined our chances. He was then the best 9 in the comp at Cronulla and without his brains they don’t win in ’16.

The bloke obviously doesn’t hate the club — he spent 6 years here, half of them as captain, was passionate about the club’s values and didn’t want to leave. His job is to be a critic and he’s entitled to be critical about Canterbury.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they are giving him $$ why should he not. No one has to stay loyal to one job, people should always look out for the best interests not someone else's especially if it's in the sporting world and its a fan
If they are giving him $$ why should he not. No one has to stay loyal to one job, people should always look out for the best interests not someone else's especially if it's in the sporting world and its a fan
Look I agree but to a extent.
This bloke has been through a tonne of employers since he came into the nrl.
Dragons, knights, Broncos, dogs, sharks, fox, and now raiders.
By 2021 he should be involved with another 2 clubs

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Look I agree but to a extent.
This bloke has been through a tonne of employers since he came into the nrl.
Dragons, knights, Broncos, dogs, sharks, fox, and now raiders.
By 2021 he should be involved with another 2 clubs
So what should he do? Not work?