Pay day coming article -The Roar

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Agree with everything except liking trying to move on Tolman. He's a staple in the front row, and that reliable workhorse teams need.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a good read, bit like a lot off the stuff we have been saying here. Supporters say i think that might be The Kennel . Its nice for a change to read something positive about the dogs with the new players and what us as supporters are expecting from our Team. For a Roar rookie Daniel has done a good job and agree with most off his comments. love to read more in the future.
I don’t like how he undersold Tolmans impact and contribution to our team. That would be my only criticism.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice article.

Like most on here I am optimistic about the season. However if I am being 100% objective I still think we have the worst roster in the comp. This is especially the case in the spine. Meaney/Lewis/Foran/Lichha is easily the weakest spine in the comp.

Of course having the worst team on paper doesnt mean we will come last. It just means my expectations are relatively low.

Unfortunately the Foran signing has killed us. He played like $250k player last year but we have him on a $1 million plus. If we had Pearce instead of Foran I would put us as Top 6 certainties. Look at the knights last year without Pearce. They couldnt win a game despite still having Ponga. It shows how much teams need a quality half.

Hope I am proven wrong
I disagree. I think we have one of the most underrated spines. Hoppa in for Meaney.

1. Hoppa
6. Lewis
7. Foran
9. Lichaa

Better than half the other teams

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t like how he undersold Tolmans impact and contribution to our team. That would be my only criticism.
Yes he did single out tolman but it was a good read a lot better than we get from the telecrap.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Once Woods fucked off we started to play a lot better. As long as the off field dramas haven't affected the group we should (hopefully) have a decent run this year.
I am encouraged by who they kept and who they bought. Also their are some young players who joined us this year which are going to suprise a few doggies fans in Meaney for one. Not many on here have given this kid a good wrap but i will. Only playing a handful of fg games for newcastle thats understandable but i will predict he will be amongst the teams top try scorers. They have built a strong team with some competition for most positions. Compared to no competition last year. The dogs are going to be underestimated by most teams in the first half of the season.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I disagree. I think we have one of the most underrated spines. Hoppa in for Meaney.

1. Hoppa
6. Lewis
7. Foran
9. Lichaa

Better than half the other teams
None of those players would be in the top 8 player of that position and that spine has never player together so its completely unknown if it will gel.

Its way below average.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Meaney/Lewis/Foran/Lichha is easily the weakest spine in the comp.
Really, worse than;
Gutherson//Moses/Brown/Pritchard
OR
Gordon/Taylor/Peats and whoever they choose for 5/8 when they make up their effen mind.
OR
Dufty/Hunt/Widdop/McInnes
OR
Wighton/Sezer/Hodsgson and whoever they choose for 5/8 when they make up their effen mind.
OR
Mbye/Brooks/Reynolds/Farrar
OR
Barba/Morgan/Martin/Granville

I have to say I'm not much on this "spine" thing being the be all and end all of a team. For example, Manly have a pretty reasonable spine in Trbojevic/DCE/Hodko/Korioisau, but no one rates rest of the team, so they linger lower in the pecking order.

Go Dogs

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The problem with any such comparison is the 1995 team is "legendary" in Bulldogs circles. As a result I know this is a no win scenario, so just a few comparisons.

Chris Anderson, an ex Bulldogs premiership winning player, was the coach, as is Dean Pay who was a prop in the winning 1995 team.
The centres were John Timu and Mathew Ryan, highly competent but hardly world beaters (sound familiar?). Ryan was the leading try scorer in the NRL but not for a couple more years, same year he played for NSW.
The wingers were Jason Williams and the goal kicking legend Darryl Halligan, who is Rhyse Martin's kicking coach.
Steve Price was in his 1st full year, playing 2nd row, and wouldn't play for the Cane Toads for another couple of years, but on their radar (sound familiar?).
Of course Terry Lamb is .....well ... Terry Lamb and hence incomparable.

What I liked about the 1995 team was that they played as team, for the team and hunted in a pack. They were ruthless, especially in defence (just ask Glen Lazarus). My biggest hope is this team can emulate that attitude.

Go Dogs
The only thing that is not similar is the difference in how the game is officiated. Our biggest hurdle is keeping the refs out of the big picture. Time and time again the controversy at most times involves our team. If you find a solution to THAT white elephant in the room, well then i give us every chance.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Really, worse than;
OR
Gordon/Taylor/Peats and whoever they choose for 5/8 when they make up their effen mind.
OR
OR
Wighton/Sezer/Hodsgson and whoever they choose for 5/8 when they make up their effen mind.
OR
OR

I have to say I'm not much on this "spine" thing being the be all and end all of a team. For example, Manly have a pretty reasonable spine in Trbojevic/DCE/Hodko/Korioisau, but no one rates rest of the team, so they linger lower in the pecking order.

Go Dogs
I'd only rate ours above Parra........

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really, worse than;
OR
OR
OR
OR
OR

Go Dogs
Entitled to your opinion but you have some serious blue and white glasses lol.

I will say that Parra's spine is weak so I will give you that one. But the other spines shit all over ours. Ours is a 4 out of 10

Saints - Widdop/Norman/Hunt/Mcinnes. 8 out of 10
Gold Coast - Brimson/Roberts/Taylor/Peats. 7 out of 10
Raiders - Wighton/Sezer/Hodgson - 7 out of 10 even without a 5/8th
Tigers - Mbye/Reynolds/Brooks/Farrar - 8 out of 10
Cowboys - Barba/Morgan/Martin/Granville - 7 out of 10

Not sure how anyone could objectively say our spine competes with any of the above

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Entitled to your opinion but you have some serious blue and white glasses lol.

I will say that Parra's spine is weak so I will give you that one. But the other spines shit all over ours. Ours is a 4 out of 10

Saints - Widdop/Norman/Hunt/Mcinnes. 8 out of 10
Gold Coast - Brimson/Roberts/Taylor/Peats. 7 out of 10
Raiders - Wighton/Sezer/Hodgson - 7 out of 10 even without a 5/8th
Tigers - Mbye/Reynolds/Brooks/Farrar - 8 out of 10
Cowboys - Barba/Morgan/Martin/Granville - 7 out of 10

Not sure how anyone could objectively say our spine competes with any of the above
Hoppa better than Mbye, Lewis better than Reynolds, Foran better than Brooks, Lichaa better than Farah (the pensioner)

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hard judge. Get you into the District Court quick smart.
Hoppa is a average fullback he is not good but not bad.
Lewis has literally 9 games to his name while he look promising its way too early to judge him yet.
Foran hasn't delivered consistently since 2014.
Lichaa has a handful of games where he has looked like a NRL player.

Right now they are a below average spine but by the end of the season things might change and hopefully they do.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Big call, the Titans and Raiders haven't even settled on 5/8's as yet and you rate them higher?
The Tigers have 2 ex Bulldogs players and a has been?

Out of those ~30 players I'd take the 2 pommies, one of whom is going home at the end of the season (or earlier).

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Big call, the Titans and Raiders haven't even settled on 5/8's as yet and you rate them higher?
The Tigers have 2 ex Bulldogs players and a has been?

Out of those ~30 players I'd take the 2 pommies, one of whom is going home at the end of the season (or earlier).

Go Dogs
I really like the Titans spine it has plenty of potential and Hodgson alone gets the Raiders above ours.

Tigers doesn't excite me much but it would still have ours covered.

Even if you put our spine above these teams its still in the bottom 4 of the comp.........

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It just goes to show how little footy some people actually watch and that they're trapped within this Bulldog bubble. Literally jusy named the Titans spine with Gordon at fullback and left out AJ Brimson all together haha.