Official Position Breakdown: Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2018/12/06/2019-position-breakdown---centre/

Today we take a look at the centre position.

Will Hopoate:
Hopoate played 14 games at centre in 2018 before shifting to fullback and starring over the second half of the 2018 season.

The 26-year old scored three tries in the number four jersey and with the arrival of Nick Meaney, a shift to the centres for the Tongan international could help the balance of the side.

One of the more experienced players on the roster, Hopoate is reliable, safe and consistent.

Kerrod Holland:
Holland made 20 appearances in 2018, with ten of those spent in the centre position, including five tries. There were doubles against the Newcastle Knights in round 16 and the Wests Tigers in round 20.

Since making his debut for the club in 2016, the 26-year old has played 24 games at centre out of his 46 matches and has crossed the try-line on eight occasions.

Holland has a goal kicking percentage of 78.65 and although he was used as a utility throughout the 2018 season, centre is the preferred position for the Singleton Greyhound junior.

John Olive:
Olive arrived at Belmore at the beginning of the 2018 season from the Gold Coast Titans.

A former Canterbury junior, having previously played for the Revesby Heights Rhinos and Chester Hill clubs, the 21-year old made his NRL club debut in round 12 against the Wests Tigers.

He managed three NRL games for the club in the centre position, averaging 127 metres per game and scoring a try against the Gold Coast Titans at Belmore. Olive was a member of the club's successful ISP team and scored seven tries from his 19 appearances in 2018.

Interesting they left out Montoya whose been training at centre apparently.

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
Shows we are still in the hunt for a centre, no depth at all and one spot in the roster to fill. Hmmmm but who??

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope Holland works hard on his defence this preseason

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Shows we are still in the hunt for a centre, no depth at all and one spot in the roster to fill. Hmmmm but who??
Yeah, an obvious area we need to strengthen...let’s hope we don’t fill that last spot with a 2nd rower then eh??!!

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The team has to play Hopoate where they can use his tackle break and offload ability.
Smith's fantastic try against against St George started with a half break and offload by Hopoate to Holland then onto Smith.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Olive - yikes- is he still with us?

That game against the Titans at Belmore still gives me nightmares...

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
WE NEED TO FIND A CENTRE!!!!!! Holland as back-up.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holland will be Right Centre, we need a left Centre.
Centre is our Achilles heel, we have the money for a good centre- there won’t be a panic buy. At present several combinations Okunbor/Crichton’s left side & Smith/Holland right look the most likely-not ideal but.......

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Where's our two gun centres in Chris Smith and CHN?!

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Centre is our Achilles heel, we have the money for a good centre- there won’t be a panic buy. At present several combinations Okunbor/Crichton’s left side & Smith/Holland right look the most likely-not ideal but.......
Thats it though, we do have the cash it would seem, no one really available though worth signing. 300-500k would be a top quality Centre, who's out there. And NO not fkn Walker haha.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Holland needs to be in the team next to Smith, they formed a great combo at the end of the season and im sure he will improve his defence over the pre-season. However we do need to sign another centre for the other side, I've seen Staggs been mentioned however we are no chance of getting the Broncos to approve a release, I'm not to sure who is available but the club needs to try and bring in someone.

Will also be interesting to see how Harper develops over the season, he might be a good shout towards the end of the season.

Reactions: jof

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Meany
2. Crighton
3. Hoppa
4. Holland
5. Smith
Pretty much our only option. I've seen enough of Montoya to think he should stay in cup, although Crighton is not a whole lot quicker either with his little hamster legs.

Will also be interesting to see how Harper develops over the season
Harper impresses me a lot. I really think he has the potential to be another Smith or Lewis and just glide into first grade when we need him. I rate him more than Olive or Okunbor in the three quarters.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pretty much our only option. I've seen enough of Montoya to think he should stay in cup, although Crighton is not a whole lot quicker either with his little hamster legs.

Harper impresses me a lot. I really think he has the potential to be another Smith or Lewis and just glide into first grade when we need him. I rate him more than Olive or Okunbor in the three quarters.

I can easily see Harper putting the work in to make FG, just a matter of time.. He's switched on as well, always looking for a heads up play... couple of nice effective rakes in the ISP finals campaign

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Holland will be Right Centre, we need a left Centre.
Hoppa will slot into the left... We need to find an all rounder to play on the right like a Chambers.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The team has to play Hopoate where they can use his tackle break and offload ability.
Smith's fantastic try against against St George started with a half break and offload by Hopoate to Holland then onto Smith.
We'll miss Hoppa at the back if he doesn't play there but Meaney's got some ball play in him don't worry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.