Official Position Breakdown - Wing

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2018/12/03/2019-position-breakdown---wing/

After making his debut in 2016, Smith's second NRL match came in round 15 of the 2018 season and his on-field performances were highlighted by impressive stats that included, 29 tackle breaks, 12 line-breaks and an average of 139.1 run metres per game.

Christian Crichton:
Crichton joined Canterbury on a three-year deal from the Penrith Panthers.

The 100 kg speedster was born in Samoa and made his NRL debut during the 2018 season in round three against the Bulldogs.

The 21-year old had an impressive rookie NRL season with 20 games, four tries, 35 tackle breaks and an average of 106.3 run metres per game. He has also played International Football for Samoa.

Marcelo Montoya:
Following a 2017 season that featured an NRL debut, 19 games and a spot in Fiji's World Cup team, Montoya's 2018 season was cut short with a serious hamstring injury.

The local junior finished last year with 15 games, 38 tackle breaks, two tries and an average of 103.1 run metres per game.

Fit and firing, the 22-year old has impressed in the first month of pre-season.

Jayden Okunbor:
Okunbor is yet to play an NRL game, but has long been earmarked as a player of promise.

A local junior from the Milperra Colts, he has been selected in the NRL top 30 for the first time.

Standing at 196cm and weighing 108kg, he crossed the try-line on eight occasions from his 25 appearances for the club's 2018 ISP side.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lol in what world is 4 tries in 20 games "impressive" for a winger, Crichton needs to shed some muscle and just focus on being explosive and a good finisher for us,

Montoya looked crap last season but Im willing to give him this season too considering it was only 12 months ago that he looked promising, I hope we get more opportunities to see his finishing ability next season.

Okunbor in my opinion is overrated, for a person his size he doesn't exactly run that hard and lacks any consistency to his game, I can see the raw potential in him only because of his size but I doubt he will ever make the step up.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We need to target Alex Johnston for Fullback

Doomsdaydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need to target Alex Johnston for Fullback
Soft as butter in D, though imo he would be a pretty good winger. Problem is blokes like AJ, French, Wighton all "want" to play FB because they are after the big "bucks" FB's command. I'd love to see Fusitua in the blue n white. Bloke is heavily underrated, and needs to move across the ditch

Meaney needs to be given a fair go and by the looks of it he has bulked up a bit.

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
what about hoppa on the wing? might just work somehow

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
what about hoppa on the wing? might just work somehow

We are already very weak in the backline if we move our most experienced outside back out to the wing God help us.

I think he needs to stay in the centre postition with a quick winger outside him.. I think hoppa and smith on the same side would be magic.

Hoppa can create opportunities for his outside man without being quick.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
we got the Chilean side of Montoya play for us last year, I hope the Fijian side comes out this year..

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are already very weak in the backline if we move our most experienced outside back out to the wing God help us.

I think he needs to stay in the centre postition with a quick winger outside him.. I think hoppa and smith on the same side would be magic.

holland and smith combo is magic, hoppa is too inconsistent

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I think Hoppa and Smith on the same side would be tragic.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Holland and Smith will be a force next year... A lot of fans are not sold on Holland because of his defence... but do you remember what that right side was like with Montoya and Hoppa? Christ! the Dutchman is in for a big season

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Holland and Smith will be a force next year... A lot of fans are not sold on Holland because of his defence... but do you remember what that right side was like with Montoya and Hoppa? Christ! the Dutchman is in for a big season

Holland at his best is an average player and then he has his bad games.

I lose interest in next year thinking he will be our centre. Although he did finish the year okay last year