Opinion How I will be judging our season in 2019.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lot's of threads about player movements, the boards ability, the coaching and back office staff, player positions, and finally where we finish the at the end of 2019. Whilst I love reading and contributing to these threads I am quite simplistic in my approach as a Bulldogs Supporter and I guess when I think about it I always have been. So let me break down what I will be looking for next year.

The last few seasons, since Des took over I have watched before my own eyes a culture shift in the whole club. We really did move away from playing aggressive and exciting football, and looking after our own, most importantly juniors. Yes there were 2 Grand Final appearances and some highlights, but overall I must admit I was getting bored watching us play. This season despite the losses, I actually enjoyed pockets of our play much more than I have in the past few years. I have also enjoyed watching young players take their chances and our ISP win the big one. Finally I have most enjoyed the feel that despite a lack of playing talent and poor salary cap position, we are a club on the up.

So whilst I will not sit here and write who's doing or lack thereof is behind all of this, because as I mentioned earlier, there are numerous threads in here about these things that can be argued till the cows come home. What I will say is that next year this is what I will judge the club on and in the same order:

1. Brand of footy/Culture. (Closer to Dogs of War and Entertainers, than Desball)
2. Junior development (our younger teams continuing to improve and bring through players)
3. Retention of the right players (we have 14 players of contract in 2020 and some hard decisions will need to be made next season on who we re-sign and let go. I believe the club got it right this year but next year will be a bigger challenge)

Whilst I believe that these measures can be subjective, I do believe that most of us will be able to judge these pretty fairly and mostly in agreement, as long as we remain realistic. I would love to see finals footy but would be happy with continued improvements in the 3 areas above for the next 2 years, with a big push in 2021 and beyond. As for the players, coach, and board, I am happy to give them a clean slate in 2019 and base it on its own. I believe they have done enough this season to warrant that.

Wishing it was March now. Go the Doggies.

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
pretty good criteria for the moment really. I really don't know what to expect results wise. But there could be some surprises if things fall into place for us. But realistically we need to get the attitude right from every player. The board seems to be saying the right things. But if that doesn't translate into success over the next season or two they'll be under a lot of pressure.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said, I couldn't agree more.
If we play 2019 the way we did in the last quarter of this season I will be satisfied.
We have bought very well and wisely with what we have and I think Pay and Gorgarlis are the perfect coaches to steer the team and though the days of the "one club man" is pretty much a thing of the past, I hope we have plans (I'm sure we do) to retain our top performers and keep them happy and in the blue and white for many seasons to come.
I will go out on a limb and say even now that if the team plays to their potential we should be in the top 6 or even 4 at the business end of next season.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lot's of threads about player movements, the boards ability, the coaching and back office staff, player positions, and finally where we finish the at the end of 2019. Whilst I love reading and contributing to these threads I am quite simplistic in my approach as a Bulldogs Supporter and I guess when I think about it I always have been. So let me break down what I will be looking for next year.

The last few seasons, since Des took over I have watched before my own eyes a culture shift in the whole club. We really did move away from playing aggressive and exciting football, and looking after our own, most importantly juniors. Yes there were 2 Grand Final appearances and some highlights, but overall I must admit I was getting bored watching us play. This season despite the losses, I actually enjoyed pockets of our play much more than I have in the past few years. I have also enjoyed watching young players take their chances and our ISP win the big one. Finally I have most enjoyed the feel that despite a lack of playing talent and poor salary cap position, we are a club on the up.

So whilst I will not sit here and write who's doing or lack thereof is behind all of this, because as I mentioned earlier, there are numerous threads in here about these things that can be argued till the cows come home. What I will say is that next year this is what I will judge the club on and in the same order:

1. Brand of footy/Culture. (Closer to Dogs of War and Entertainers, than Desball)
2. Junior development (our younger teams continuing to improve and bring through players)
3. Retention of the right players (we have 14 players of contract in 2020 and some hard decisions will need to be made next season on who we re-sign and let go. I believe the club got it right this year but next year will be a bigger challenge)

Whilst I believe that these measures can be subjective, I do believe that most of us will be able to judge these pretty fairly and mostly in agreement, as long as we remain realistic. I would love to see finals footy but would be happy with continued improvements in the 3 areas above for the next 2 years, with a big push in 2021 and beyond. As for the players, coach, and board, I am happy to give them a clean slate in 2019 and base it on its own. I believe they have done enough this to warrant that.

Wishing it was March now. Go the Doggies.
Very sensible post mate. I agree on everything you said.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Realistically we are 2 or 3 good players short of making the 8. But if each player buys into the long term 2 to 3 year plan and buckles down like their captain, then we'll punch above expectations. And with each year, if we retain and recruit well, then who knows, we'll find ourselves in the 4 sooner than expected.

Next year is about - resilience, playing for coach and club. Being competitive in every game and making teams hate playing us. If we do this, end up tenth or better, then I'm good with that.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I watched the 1995 Grand Final over the weekend and that team, coached by Chris Anderson and lead by Terry Lamb played like I would like to see the 2019 team play. Uncompromising, hard ass, tough, never say die, heavy hitters that attacked with their defence (that hit by Lamb on Toovey still makes me smile). Threw the ball around in attack when they needed to, used the full width of the field, took the chances whenever they were presented and backed up, there was always someone there to pass to. Dean Pay was in that team and I hope he can instill into this team the essence of what that team had ingrained in them, it was in their blood, their DNA. Win or lose, if they play like that I'll go home from every game happy.

Go Dogs

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yep.
Meaney, Cogger, Lewis, hope they all have good seasons. Avoiding the spoon would be excellent aswell.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have enough new faces in the team to either; A). do really well and shock all pundits that have written us off for 2019 by making the top 8 or B). sticking at the bottom of the ladder with the ageless excuse of "rebuilding" "Young team" etc.

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Realistically we are 2 or 3 good players short of making the 8. But if each player buys into the long term 2 to 3 year plan and buckles down like their captain, then we'll punch above expectations. And with each year, if we retain and recruit well, then who knows, we'll find ourselves in the 4 sooner than expected.

Next year is about - resilience, playing for coach and club. Being competitive in every game and making teams hate playing us. If we do this, end up tenth or better, then I'm good with that.
I agree. It's more a week to week prospect than a goal set in stone. If we come up against a really good team who are having an off day then we need to win that game. Similarly, we might play a bottom team who happen to be on fire and need to take that into account when looking at wins/losses.

Dogs2004

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The bulldogs club demands short term success, I hope Deano is given the time he deserves the roster he has so far assembled is close to his now just needs to put his touchs on it, you could see last year the team was still struggling to play post des and still stuck in there structures until the last few games it really felt like the shackles were off with Rhyse Martin running riot at belmore I know we lost that but i really thought that was the turning point in the way we played going forward

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bulldogs club demands short term success, I hope Deano is given the time he deserves the roster he has so far assembled is close to his now just needs to put his touchs on it, you could see last year the team was still struggling to play post des and still stuck in there structures until the last few games it really felt like the shackles were off with Rhyse Martin running riot at belmore I know we lost that but i really thought that was the turning point in the way we played going forward
The turning point was when we got rid of Woods.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A little unfair to say he has the team he wanted now

Yes With limited funds and I wouldn’t say he wanted to let go of Klemmer

I would have loved to have Klemmer and Napa As my props and gave Newcastle tolman.

Pay will need 3 or 4 years to assemble a team he wants

Last edited:

Dogs2004

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
A little unfair to say he has the team he wanted now

Yes With limited funds and I wouldn’t say he wanted to let go of Klemmer

I would have loved to have Klemmer and Napa As my props and gave Newcastle tolman.

Pay we need 3 or 4 years to assemble a team he wants
I never said it was the team he wanted now but with key positional changes under Deano e.g Lewis at half , Cogger I guess as back up half to Foran , lichaa re signed under deano and Meaney he has essentially assembled the spine bar Foran he will be accountable at some stage and like I said I hope he is given the time he deserves

You are right I’m sure his recruitment has been hindered due to cap restraints , mate I was pissed about Klemmer leaving at first but at the end of the day he didn’t want to be here , it refreshing to hear the comments made by Ogden in his interview state “ I love the club , I’m a proud bulldog now “ there the players you want

As for tolman he should have gone before graham and you can blame helmuts son for that he wanted his girlfriend Dora the explorer here

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We could have just made the 8 this year if Martin was the goal kicker from the start of the season. The truth is that there is very little between the bottom 10 teams so a loose pass here and missed tackle there and a couple of fluky trys from bombs will
determine who makes the 8. I think we are a team on the up but we be battling in that bottom 10 somewhere so 7th or 8th are up for grabs in 2019. A lot on pressure on Lewis to continue his creative form. I hope he doesn't get injured as he seems to throw himself into tackles a bit which worries me. Go the Dogs

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can’t remember the last time we missed the 8 three years straight

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Alex Johnston is being shunted to the wing by Bennett and is unhappy

How about our club show some foresight and sign him as our fullback

We need fkn speed