Cap Situation

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Whatever any of us think of the Klemmer/Napa situation, at least its confirmed now. What remains unknown is how much Napa was signed for, how much cap space the club actually has short term and how much we project to have in a year or two.

Will there be more signings? A strike outside back is desperately needed as is a hooker. We can't have Lichaa play 24 more games and expect to be a well oiled machine.

Ideally long term a partner for Lewis is needed also.

What moves do you think the club should make short term and who knows what the current cap situation is?

Hopefully now that this saga is resolved, they can shore up other positions that need addressing as soon as possible.

I think after being put through the emotional ringer as a fanbase for years now, moving forward Hill and the Andersons owe it to us to be a bit more vocal and honest and stop the subterfuge.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
You would think that Klemm leaving and Napa coming would leave us with 200k - 300k surplus just from that exchange?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think after being put through the emotional ringer as a fanbase for years now, moving forward Hill and the Andersons owe it to us to be a bit more vocal and honest and stop the subterfuge.
In what way haven’t they been vocal and honest? A lot of the things that go on at a club are on a need to know basis unfortunately and it’s kept out public view for a reason.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
moving forward Hill and the Andersons owe it to us to be a bit more vocal and honest and stop the subterfuge.
Let me get this right, are you seriously suggesting that we disclose our plans on what players we want, what players we don’t want, how money we have or don’t have and the timing? I don’t know about you but that’s not at all how I want to see my club run. Telling the opposition in advance what we are planning, I don’t think so. Commercial in confidence, tells us when the deal is done, thanks.

Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
In what way haven’t they been vocal and honest? A lot of the things that go on at a club are on a need to know basis unfortunately and it’s kept out public view for a reason.
I know that it was deliberate and understand why. But now that they've offloaded Mbye, Woods and Klemmer and probably won't find homes for Foran and Lichaa, well then there's no reason to leave us all completely on the dark moving forward.

Obviously they still want to play certain cards close to their chest and for good reason, but hopefully from now on we can get more little more insight and truth out of them than you'd get out of the White House, North Korea and Russia combined.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Let me get this right, are you seriously suggesting that we disclose our plans on what players we want, what players we don’t want, how money we have or don’t have and the timing? I don’t know about you but that’s not at all how I want to see my club run. Telling the opposition in advance what we are planning, I don’t think so. Commercial in confidence, tells us when the deal is done, thanks.

Go Dogs
No. Read what i said instead of jumping to conclusions. I said a bit more honest and vocal. Not to tell us everything.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You would think that Klemm leaving and Napa coming would leave us with 200k - 300k surplus just from that exchange?
Probably. Hopefully more.

What other realistic centre and hooker options would there be for 2019? Or is Liddle arriving just a formality like Napa was?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know that it was deliberate and understand why. But now that they've offloaded Mbye, Woods and Klemmer and probably won't find homes for Foran and Lichaa, well then there's no reason to leave us all completely on the dark moving forward.

Obviously they still want to play certain cards close to their chest and for good reason, but hopefully from now on we can get more little more insight and truth out of them than you'd get out of the White House, North Korea and Russia combined.
I’m not sure what they are keeping you in the dark about? There’s only one roster spot to fill so what are they going to come out and say?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
No. Read what i said instead of jumping to conclusions. I said a bit more honest and vocal. Not to tell us everything.
Perhaps it would help me understand if you gave an example of what you would have the Board tell us that they haven’t already.

Go Dogs

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We must have made at least 300,000 on the exchange and as i understood it we already had some money left over for 1 more player so i think we must have at least 500,000 in the kitty.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Perhaps it would help me understand if you gave an example of what you would have the Board tell us that they haven’t already.

Go Dogs
What part of "moving forward" don't you understand?

You're missing the point. I'm saying let's move on and forward.

Hopefully we don't have to be a basketcase club anymore that auctions off our key assets. Hopefully those days are over.

Hopefully now we can talk about players we'll gain instead of key representative players we have to replace. Hopefully the club MOVING FORWARD can reassure some fans that all of this player turnover will be worth it.

Generally in a position such as CEO or Chairman of a football club, you have a duty to address your fanbase and the media every now and then. I apologise for suggesting that they do that.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Centre, hooker, half are where we need to recruit. Only players that could possibly fill those roles in the near future are Harper, Wakeham and Cogger...

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whatever any of us think of the Klemmer/Napa situation, at least its confirmed now. What remains unknown is how much Napa was signed for, how much cap space the club actually has short term and how much we project to have in a year or two.

Will there be more signings? A strike outside back is desperately needed as is a hooker. We can't have Lichaa play 24 more games and expect to be a well oiled machine.

Ideally long term a partner for Lewis is needed also.

What moves do you think the club should make short term and who knows what the current cap situation is?

Hopefully now that this saga is resolved, they can shore up other positions that need addressing as soon as possible.

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2018/11/26/bulldogs-finalise-their-squad-for-2019/

Under the terms of the CBA between the NRL and RLPA, each club is required to have the contracts of a minimum of 24 players registered by November 1. Clubs then have until March 1 to register 29 players and June 30 to finalise their top 30 squad.

The Bulldogs have now finalised their roster with the announcement of Dylan Napa joining the club on a three-year deal.

Napa arrives at Belmore from the Sydney Roosters and will commence training with his new teammates later in the week.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Centre, hooker, half are where we need to recruit. Only players that could possibly fill those roles in the near future are Harper, Wakeham and Cogger...
Hopefully some of our prospects seize the opportunity in those positions the way Smith, Lewis and Martin did.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2018/11/26/bulldogs-finalise-their-squad-for-2019/

Under the terms of the CBA between the NRL and RLPA, each club is required to have the contracts of a minimum of 24 players registered by November 1. Clubs then have until March 1 to register 29 players and June 30 to finalise their top 30 squad.

The Bulldogs have now finalised their roster with the announcement of Dylan Napa joining the club on a three-year deal.

Napa arrives at Belmore from the Sydney Roosters and will commence training with his new teammates later in the week.
So there are still four or five spots up for grabs before March the 1st.

There is still a lot of time between now and then for any potential squad moves from within or other clubs.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What part of "moving forward" don't you understand?

You're missing the point. I'm saying let's move on and forward.

Hopefully we don't have to be a basketcase club anymore that auctions off our key assets. Hopefully those days are over.

Hopefully now we can talk about players we'll gain instead of key representative players we have to replace. Hopefully the club MOVING FORWARD can reassure some fans that all of this player turnover will be worth it.

Generally in a position such as CEO or Chairman of a football club, you have a duty to address your fanbase and the media every now and then. I apologise for suggesting that they do that.
Yep, I’m missing your point, help me out here, please just give me an example of what you mean by “moving forward”?

I already know that shedding players was absolutely necessary to get us out of a dire salary cap situation, I don’t need to be told that again. I’ve moved on.

I already know that Klemmer wanted to move to Newcastle, I don’t need to be told that.

I already know that the Mozzies wanted 2 year contracts and we only offered one year. No needs to tell me that again.

I don’t want opposition teams to know what “players we will gain”. Of course I’m curious, but in telling me they are going to tell them. So their silence is a sacrifice that I’m willing to make.

Back to the question at hand, explicitly what do you mean by “moving forward”?

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
So there are still five spots up for grabs before March the 1st.
I recall that we have declared 29 players, leaving one spot available. Maybe we can change them before 1st March?

Go Dogs

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So there are still four or five spots up for grabs before March the 1st.

There is still a lot of time between now and then for any potential squad moves from within or other clubs.
Nope - just 1 spot.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yep, I’m missing your point, help me out here, please just give me an example of what you mean by “moving forward”?

I already know that shedding players was absolutely necessary to get us out of a dire salary cap situation, I don’t need to be told that again. I’ve moved on.

I already know that Klemmer wanted to move to Newcastle, I don’t need to be told that.

I already know that the Mozzies wanted 2 year contracts and we only offered one year. No needs to tell me that again.

I don’t want opposition teams to know what “players we will gain”. Of course I’m curious, but in telling me they are going to tell them. So their silence is a sacrifice that I’m willing to make.

Back to the question at hand, explicitly what do you mean by “moving forward”?

Go Dogs
What are you even talking about?

The point of this thread is what is our cap situation and what positions or players should the club look out for before next season if any?

Please stay on topic. I'm not attacking the club. Stop making it into something it's not.