Official David klemmer signs 5 year 4.3m deal with Newcastle Knights

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If anyone thinks that klemmer was not predictable with the footy in his hands is blind. Not denying the bloke's ability to gain metres. But, that is all he has done for us and will cpntinue to do at knights. 900k a year for that? Very good decision by the club.

I see a good replacement in Napa. He is strong. Aggressive. Most importantly, knows how to smash players in defence. I see a true dog in his game. Welcome to Belmore!
Once Napa realises who Dean Pay is surely he will elevate his game.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not happy Klemmer left and the circumstances in the way he did as he came up through the junior ranks, sadly a contract has as much worth as the paper it’s written really shows now in the NRL with all the recent chopping and changing
To me if Klemmer has stayed with his head not in it he would only put in 50% performances on decent coin. I’m not a Napa fan but looking through what was available makes me think we didn’t to too bad in the situation
In the end I think there is more to it with the way we punted Woods (who I don’t know why was signed when we had Graham, Klemmer and Tolman?) Paul Dunn having a dig at his performances for us? (Was it Dunn that bagged him?) and then the contract being not what he wanted
I’m starting to agree with many here if you don’t want to put in 100% for the dogs then don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out.
I was a huge Klemmer fan (and still will watch him as a good player) but in the end Napa (not a favourite of mine) is in blue and white so hopeful he can fulfil some potential play well for us and possibly become and international in the future

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Complete and utter incompetence from our board and CEO.

Is was about money and nothing else, we couldn't come up with the money to cover the 3rd party deal that fell through.

Klemmer had 3 meetings with the club in the last 12 months to try and resolve, but the board bottled it!

He went to the Nights for 860k a season.

Our club is a mess because of stupid politics at board level.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not really stupid... we are still coming out of a big mess and matching or bettering the Knights offer would not help us at all.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Is was about money and nothing else, we couldn't come up with the money to cover the 3rd party deal that fell through.
Klemmer had 3 meetings with the club in the last 12 months to try and resolve, but the board bottled it!
The evidence seems to indicate it, the need to move to a Newcastle, wasn’t about money, certainly not a lot money. Plainly there were “personal issues” that for some reason/s we couldn’t overcome. If, as you claim, there were 3 meetings then it’s not like we didn’t try. Legally we are not allowed (by the NRL) to interfere in TPA’s. They are between the player (his manager) and the third party. If we interceded on the payers behalf then it would no longer be a TPA.

Go Dogs

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

OK Ray

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
David Klemmer has spoken for the first time about his abrupt exit from Canterbury, adamant his decision to sign a five-year deal with the Knights isn't about money.

Klemmer hasn't surfaced since requesting an immediate release from the Bulldogs last month, but the 24-year-old sat down with NRL.com after finalising his deal on Monday to address the issues surrounding his premature departure from Belmore.

The NSW and Australian prop insists money wasn't the motivation behind his release, despite suggestions the father of three was heading to the Knights to fill his wallet.

NRL.com understands Klemmer will earn less per season at the Knights over five years than he stood to earn per year in his final two years at the Bulldogs.

"I'm not going for money," Klemmer told NRL.com.

"People think they know what happens in people's lives but I'm not selfish. I am taking my family to an environment that I think they need. I am putting what I believe is my family's best interests ahead of everything else. If people think that's selfish then I can live with it."

While it has been well documented their have been some delicate contractual issues with Klemmer's most recent deal at the Bulldogs, the prop refused to take aim at the club.

"I love the Bulldogs. Always have, always will," he said.

"I grew up pretending I was Hazem El Masri and all I've ever wanted was to play for the Bulldogs. I'm proud of everything I achieved and did for the club. I'm proud I am part of the history of such a great club.

"In business, things happen, but I'll never say a bad word about the club. They've given me everything I've got. I know the fans will be disappointed and they have every right to be, but at this point in my life I know I am making the right decision."

When Klemmer fronted Bulldogs chief executive Andrew Hill last month alongside his wife Chloe - his high school girlfriend he has since married and had three boys with - it was clear Newcastle was his preferred destination given his desire to move away from Sydney.

He asked for a release from the club on compassionate grounds but didn't want to delve into his private affairs.

"I'm not going to get into it," he said.

"I don't feel the need to justify it. It's my own business. What I will say is that I think Newcastle, not just as a club but as a city, will make me a better person. And I hope I can contribute to helping make Newcastle a better football team in return.

"I have a lot of development left in me and I think that fits in well with what Browny is building at the club.

"From the outside, as a footy fan it's been exciting to see the way Newcastle has been rebuilt and I want to be part of it. From the moment I met Browny I knew I wanted to be there."

Knights recruitment manager Troy Pezet, who was also Klemmer's first manager, led the club's pursuit of Klemmer alongside Brown.

However, Knights halfback and captain Mitchell Pearce has also played a significant role in convincing Klemmer his future belonged in Newcastle.

"Pearcey has been great," Klemmer said.

"I've played Origin with him and he actually tried to help me out on a personal level during our time together. He gave me a book on spirituality in camp last year to try help me deal with things away from the field.

"I think we're pretty similar. We can play things out in our head, so sometimes we need help clearing the head noise. To hear how much Newcastle helped him, it definitely made me comfortable knowing it’s where I want to call home for the next five years."

Klemmer is one of a number of high profile players to depart Belmore in the past 12 months.

His close friend Aaron Woods was moved on mid-season, so too fullback Moses Mbye. It comes on the back of favourite sons Josh Reynolds and James Graham being squeezed out at the end of 2017.

The departure of those players has had a significant impact on the squad, but probably none more so than Klemmer.

"I'd be lying if I said that it hasn’t taken a toll," he said.

"Those guys are some of the closest people in my life and it hurt seeing them leave. One by one the people you love and respected were gone. It showed me that this is a business. The club did what the club had to do. It wasn't personal but they put the club first. I'm doing the same thing.

"Players come and players go. It's sad that my time at the club is up but they've got a world class player in Dylan Napa coming in to go with some of the impressive talent that came through last year. I really hope the club returns to success very soon."

While Klemmer isn't due back to training until mid-December, the prop is expected to begin his tenure with the Knights on Monday such is his willingness to be part of the preseason.

"I just want to get into it," he said.

"I'm so excited about this new chapter in my life. I'm excited about playing alongside blokes like Pearcey and Kalyn Ponga. I can't tell you how much I'm excited about next year. You look at that roster and there's so much potential in it. I've heard it's a special place to play, and I want to be part of doing special things up there."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/26/david-klemmer-says-joining-newcastle-knights-not-about-money/

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Weak turn coat.

Can’t say you will always love the club when you shit on them.

Sbw, barba, klemmer.

That’s where you fit now.

***** that shat on their club. I guarantee sbw and barba regretted it. Hope he does too!

Not a single word changes my thoughts. He’s gone cause a few blokes have and he now has a long big pay day.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I will never get sick of saying this but the NRL muppets at the HQ are the worst run sporting body in Australia. You give hockey the base the NRL has and all its media money and they will shit on league.
AFL, FFA, Netball and now NBL are run so well, not long before league gets mowed down.
If the NRL ever wanted to show how strong they can be, this was the time to stick up for what’s right.
It’s time that a Draft kind of system was implemented

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Goes back to grimace, destroyer and Dibshit

Lose graham his father figure, lose grub his little bro and lose sharron his best mate
Made him realise there is no loyalty in football so fuck it
The Bulldogs paid the price for it... in paying part of the salary. That’s a fair business deal. But to lose Klemmer for nothing. And the Knights get off scot free even when they weren’t supposed to interfere until end of next year? Thats what pisses me off. Again, NRL is a farce

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Goes back to grimace, destroyer and Dibshit

Lose graham his father figure, lose grub his little bro and lose sharron his best mate
Made him realise there is no loyalty in football so fuck it
The poof needs to hold every ones hands? Fkn weak ****, be a fucking man and just do your job.

This **** wouldn't become a man even if he lived to 400.

I'm no Hulk, but imagine this poofter had to go through my illness for nearly 7 years, the weak **** would of offed himself in the hour.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
When the going get’s tough, Klemm get’s going, just shows how low in charachter the guy is, what a Judas! Unbelievable how our club has layed down for yet another of our biggest stars with years to run on his contract, Ben Hannant, Ben Barba, Mybe, Woods the list go’s on and on... We used to be run with on iron fist but nowadays we have become the lackey of the competition, only proves as to why I’m so disenfranchised with the NRL and now the club, have nothing but contempt for both due to this and many other examples. Faith is a word I am in short supply of these days!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The Bulldogs paid the price for it... in paying part of the salary. That’s a fair business deal. But to lose Klemmer for nothing. And the Knights get off scot free even when they weren’t supposed to interfere until end of next year? Thats what pisses me off. Again, NRL is a farce
I'm actually waiting and excited for the nrlol going bust.

Maybe a professional rouge comp will take over and return it to a man's game, not like this poofter rorted competition it is now.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t mind the move for money but don’t come out and bullshit.

Newcastle is not a place where your kids need to grow up. They need to grow up in Sydney, where the best schools are etc. you have money, pay for a private school.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I don’t mind the move for money but don’t come out and bullshit.

Newcastle is not a place where your kids need to grow up. They need to grow up in Sydney, where the best schools are etc. you have money, pay for a private school.
Agree. He is a **** for lying, not for going for money.