News Storm in sell-off mode to keep skipper Smith

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Melbourne are attempting to offload players in order to free up the funds required to meet Cameron Smith’s seven-figure asking price.

The development comes as Storm winger Josh Addo-Carr expressed an interest in taking over from retiring superstar Billy Slater at fullback.

Million-dollar man: Storm captain Cameron Smith's future remains clouded.
Million-dollar man: Storm captain Cameron Smith's future remains clouded.NRL Photos

Smith, still arguably the best player in the world at the age of 35, was not part of the 27-man squad the club named earlier this month. The Storm skipper remains unsigned seven weeks after the grand final loss to the Roosters, with the parties yet to come to terms ahead of his scheduled return to pre-season.

Fairfax Media can reveal Melbourne are attempting to move on several contracted players in a bid to extend Smith’s career into an 18th season. Former New Zealand international Sam Kasiano, fellow forward Patrick Kaufusi and utility back Cheyse Blair are among the players the club is willing to release to free up the funds required to allow Smith to become the first man to break the magical 400-game mark.

Kasiano is the biggest-name player deemed surplus to requirements. The former Bulldog still has two years to go on his Melbourne contract, but the club is prepared to pay a portion of his freight should another club attempt to accommodate him. It is understood the Warriors have expressed some interest, although their own salary cap issues mean a player swap is probably their best chance of fitting him in.

At his best, Kasiano is one of the most destructive front-rowers in the game. However, he made just 14 appearances in an injury-plagued first season at the Storm.

The Melbourne hierarchy is still hopeful Smith will lead them into the 2019 season, although it is understood there are some third-party arrangements that need to be resolved. The Victorian outfit desperately needs his experience after losing superstars Cooper Cronk and Slater in the space of 12 months and can ill afford to lose another marquee man.

Addo-Carr said he was hopeful a deal will be struck shortly.

“I haven’t spoken to Smithy since Mad Monday, he’s having a good time with his family,” Addo-Carr said.

“I suppose a decision will come up in the next couple of weeks. It depends on how happy he is and I believe he is happy.

“I hope he signs for the next five years. He is the best player in the world. It depends on how his body pulls up. I’ve got no doubt he’ll play.”

The Storm’s other retention priority is Cameron Munster. The Queensland and Australian representative is off contract but has agreed to terms on a new long-term deal. That has left the Storm with little wiggle room in the cap, even after the departure of Tim Glasby to Newcastle and the retirements of Ryan Hoffman and Slater.

Coach Craig Bellamy faces a huge call on who will replace Slater in the No.1 jersey. While Munster plays his representative football at pivot he is viable option, as is Jahrome Hughes and Ryan Papenhuyzen. A left-field alternative is Addo-Carr, with the NSW winger revealing he would be amenable to the move.

“I’d love to take up the challenge,” Addo-Carr said.

“It depends on what the coaches want, if the coaches said to trial at fullback, I will.

“I’ve played everywhere in the back line. No one can compete with Billy, you’ve got to be very fit to play fullback.

“I don’t see why not. The coaches can chuck me in at fullback at training and I’ll see how I go.“We’ve got Scott Drinkwater and Jahrome Hughes coming through who play fullback, so I’m happy where I’m at. If the coach wants me to play fullback, I’ll play fullback.”

We should honestly forget about spending klemmers money on Napa, and instead save it and bring Kasiano back on the cheap and since storm are willing to chip in, plus I think Kasiano offers more then Napa for the similar minutes and a lot cheaper, and the rest of klems money can be spent else where.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, I'd be happy to do that.

Also, how selfish is Smith to hold his club to ransom and force them to shed players of the future for the sake of one more year?

Classic grub.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
People have short memories.

Kasiano was at his best when the shoulder charge was still allowed, and before the gamed moved to more mobile forward packs.

Kasiano (towards the end of his stint with us) was shit. Overweight and couldn't last more than 10 minutes before he was stuffed. A penalty machine as well.
Kasiano was shit with the Storm. Lost a stack of weight and played more minutes but had fuck all impact.

If Bellamy couldn't bring him back to form, we have no chance.

If we are going to even consider bringing back Kasiano, may as well offer Beastwood a small contract as well.

silva

Utility
Reaction score

Kasiano was at his best when the shoulder charge was still allowed, and before the gamed moved to more mobile forward packs.

Kasiano (towards the end of his stint with us) was shit. Overweight and couldn't last more than 10 minutes before he was stuffed. A penalty machine as well.
Kasiano was shit with the Storm. Lost a stack of weight and played more minutes but had fuck all impact.

If we are going to even consider bringing back Kasiano, may as well offer Beastwood a small contract as well.
Ive never seen him throw a shoulder charge once tbh in his debut year.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure, I'm not suggesting he will be the best prop in the game but with Melbourne paying freight and him not being able to command much of a salary, it isn't the end of the world. It's about time someone else was passing for our players than vice versa

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kasiano was only effective because of his weight..

And he lost his will to play when pritchard was sacked too

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

I used to get nervous whenever the ball went near Kas in his final couple of seasons with us. Both players were good for us but we've got to move forward with the new generation of Doggies forwards - Ogden, Toomaga, Martin, Chris Smith and co

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Supercoach can't save the fat boys it seems.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If they get desperate enough hopefully we can snag chambers

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kas is a huge step backwards. We are building a team for line speed and heavy shoulders in defence. Kas is not that at all. No way would i waste one of the 2 remaining spots on kas. Find someone young or at least a first grader.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep, I'd be happy to do that.

Also, how selfish is Smith to hold his club to ransom and force them to shed players of the future for the sake of one more year?

Classic grub.
His manager is Isaac Moses so that's all you need to know

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
How selfish is smith are people serious? Hes best player in the game in his last years he deserves to be paid well and unlike klemmer he hasnt tried to go to another club

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Absolutely bring Kasiano back at a fraction of the price compared to Napa.
Also at his best he is better than Napa, Napa is a good defensive middle, but we have enough of them.

Bring Latu down from the Titans also, hearing he is surplus to requirements up there also.

2 Local juniors back in the house.

Napa massively over rated.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Scott or Chambers please, Chambers did have a pretty poor 2018 season though but i'd still welcome him. Munster would be the ideal recruit for 2020 though idk how he would do in Sydney...

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Scott or Chambers please, Chambers did have a pretty poor 2018 season though but i'd still welcome him. Munster would be the ideal recruit for 2020 though idk how he would do in Sydney...
I’m sure I read somewhere else that Chambers was already “on the outer”.

He was pretty rubbish last year but would be great for our young guys, I reckon he’s a Group 1 fuckwit, but emotions aside, he’d be a good one to get.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Ummm... how on Earth is Smith still considered the best player in the world? He couldn't even guide Melbourne to victory over a 12-man Roosters side in the Grand Final... they never once looked like scoring, and their only try came off a Roosters error and Addo-Carr was never going to get caught against the run of play!