News Bulldogs working overtime to restore credibility to ‘family club’

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
LAST week, Canterbury Bulldogs appointed a person to help out the NRL club’s WAGs.

Yvette Davey recently joined the Bulldogs football club staff as “player engagement co-ordinator’’, a job that requires her to look after the footballers, as well as wives, girlfriends and families.

Already, Davey has hosted a day with the top 30 players’ families that concluded with a dinner. Wives and girlfriends were also given a small present.

Her role is understood to include keeping the partners “all settled” on match day and one of her tasks is helping players and their families with housing.

Davey’s job is all about inclusiveness and welfare. Cementing that “family’’ club environment.

“Yvette’s role is to look after the welfare of players, staff and families in a more detailed way than the traditional welfare role,” Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill says.

“As ‘the family club’, we believe in looking after our people and their families off the field and Yvette’s appointment was the next step in making sure we had created a role that catered for that.

“It’s important that we provide support from the time someone joins the Bulldogs all the way through until they leave the club; and to make sure that we can help them in any areas that will enhance their lives.”

Davey declined to comment, but a Bulldogs spokesman said she wants to “stay in the background and go about her job quietly” though on the surface, her addition can only be viewed as a good move by the club after a turbulent time.

The spokesman was quick to point out that Davey’s role wasn’t born out of the Dogs’ Mad Monday scandal.

On the field, Mortimer points to the young talent coming through on the club list and fans should be excited.

“We’ve got a helluva lot of young guys that Des Hasler didn’t want to try out,” Mortimer says.

“But young players, Dean Pay is willing to give a go.

“You saw a few of them towards the end of last season. It (2019) is going to be exciting. It is something to look forward to.”

And this is where Davey’s role becomes important to the Bulldogs’ on-field success.

Anecdotally, players who have a content personal and family life are more likely to perform better on the field.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fuck the mad Monday fiasco!!! Embarrassed for what??? For being hounded and harassed by a garbage tabloid hell bent on bringing the club down at all costs, while pushing their own bullshit agenda playing puppet master pulling the strings of that moron Greenturd. The Telecrap and the NRL are a fucking joke!!! Reading that a club legend like Steve Mortimer felt embarrassed and still feels embarrassed because the boys tied one on, on their mad Monday celebrations turns my stomach. Sorry Steve but that's how I feel. The ones that should be embarrassed are the dip shits that instigated and went to all measures to invade our players celebrations and their right to privacy. Fuck the Telecrap, and the sooner Greenturd and Bite me are gone from the NRL the better for the game.

P.S great move by the club creating the player engagement co-ordinator role. Positive move going forward.

Last edited:

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
P.S great move by the club creating the player engagement co-ordinator role
I thought every club had one, but using a different job title.

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
lol @ the article talking about one thing then shoving in the mad money shit that's completely irrelevant to take up wordcount...garbage

Nevertheless a good idea to have that role if it's needed and I hope it works out well

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Meant to be a positive thing but went back to the negative and tried to shovel his way out. Turvey is a club legend but fmd he had become a benny elias, always has something to say. Must say though not as stupid as benny, fmd the shit that comes out of that blokes mouth.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
“The spokesman was quick to point out that Davey’s role wasn’t born out of the Dogs’ Mad Monday scandal”
Reporter goes on to re-cover the story for another 2 pages.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fuck the mad Monday fiasco!!! Embarrassed for what??? For being hounded and harassed by a garbage tabloid hell bent on bringing the club down at all costs, while pushing their own bullshit agenda playing puppet master pulling the strings of that moron Greenturd. The Telecrap and the NRL are a fucking joke!!! Reading that a club legend like Steve Mortimer felt embarrassed and still feels embarrassed because the boys tied one on, on their mad Monday celebrations turns my stomach. Sorry Steve but that's how I feel. The ones that should be embarrassed are the dip shits that instigated and went to all measures to invade our players celebrations and their right to privacy. Fuck the Telecrap, and the sooner Greenturd and Bite me are gone from the NRL the better for the game.

P.S great move by the club creating the player engagement co-ordinator role. Positive move going forward.
Cant believe you just dont get it!!

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We’ve got a helluva lot of young guys that Des Hasler didn’t want to try out,” Mortimer says.

My favourite piece in the article...

Nice having someone looking after wives/girlfriends/families etc. only good things can come of that.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I find it ironic that this article is written by Jessica Halloran and she was so quick to bring up the Mad Monday scandal when she just happens to be married to James Hooper! I'm still waiting for her article on her drunken mess of a husband facing court!

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The go to man, Steve Mortimer.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The club needs to step up its media for fans and have some control
Eliminate any need for people to click on telegraph or herald bullshit .
These maggots know anything negative in dogs will keep them in a job.
Ignore all these ***** and their bullshit articles

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
These articles poorly attempt to spin good vibes. I will feel good in 2021 when our salary cap debacle is over. I just cant understand why we just aren't focusing on young talent recruitment and not bothering with marquees because none of the marquees making the press are exciting at all. In fact they are cringe worthy. Just sign up junior kangaroos and pilfer young talent that are 1st graders but are stuck behind rorted rosters. 2 years ago we didn't know Ramien, Cotric, Doueli, Croft, Radley, Haas, Kikau, Murray, Jacks & Brailey yet they are now established 1st graders. I can add to that if I put in some of the young broncos who are going to be beasts in the coming years. My point is we just don't need players like Hayne, the Burgess twins etc if we have skilled talent scouts who land quality players like the ones I mentioned.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
These articles poorly attempt to spin good vibes. I will feel good in 2021 when our salary cap debacle is over. I just cant understand why we just aren't focusing on young talent recruitment and not bothering with marquees because none of the marquees making the press are exciting at all. In fact they are cringe worthy. Just sign up junior kangaroos and pilfer young talent that are 1st graders but are stuck behind rorted rosters. 2 years ago we didn't know Ramien, Cotric, Doueli, Croft, Radley, Haas, Kikau, Murray, Jacks & Brailey yet they are now established 1st graders. I can add to that if I put in some of the young broncos who are going to be beasts in the coming years. My point is we just don't need players like Hayne, the Burgess twins etc if we have skilled talent scouts who land quality players like the ones I mentioned.
Agree mate have said before that if Klemmer goes our no one target should be Thomas Flegler I have known and coached this kid since u8s so I’m probably a little biased but with good reason. He has an awesome work ethic and attitude and his aggression has always reminded me of mark omealy. Melbourne are having a go but I know he’s not keen .we should be at least having a conversation with the kid

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree mate have said before that if Klemmer goes our no one target should be Thomas Flegler I have known and coached this kid since u8s so I’m probably a little biased but with good reason. He has an awesome work ethic and attitude and his aggression has always reminded me of mark omealy. Melbourne are having a go but I know he’s not keen .we should be at least having a conversation with the kid
You had me at reminded me of Mark O'mealy. One of my all time favorite Bulldog players. Bulldogs are you listening????

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You had me at reminded me of Mark O'mealy. One of my all time favorite Bulldog players. Bulldogs are you listening????
Yep the more opposition packs get into him the more he goes to the next level pure controlled mongrel no stupid penalties just broken rib cages

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Write to the club and give them a heads up. If you believe in the kid that much then don't be afraid to let them know. You could end up doing us all a massive favour which is a great great thing!!

Also great to see the club create this position. It's very positive and something that is needed as part of the rebuild.

Only negative thing to say is.... Todd Greenberg, your the biggest embarrassment to the game... In fact your a spineless knee jerk reacting ****. Sooner you and that other Muppet beatie get the flick the absolute better for the game in general

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Flegler re-signed with Brisbane on a top 30 contract til 2020

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Flegler re-signed with Brisbane on a top 30 contract til 2020
True but it’s getting crowded Broncs are letting him feel out other clubs like I said Melbourne tabled a pretty good offer but he’s not that keen