Official Jackson says refreshed Bulldogs on the improve

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Josh Jackson admits there were some "challenges" that came with his debut year as an NRL club captain but is excited about what a refreshed Bulldogs roster can achieve.

Dogs players returned to training last week with new faces Corey Harawira-Naera, Sauaso Sue, Nick Meaney, Jack Cogger, Chris Smith and Christian Crichton on deck.

"There's a lot of competition this pre-season, we've got a lot of spots up for grabs and all those players are going to be big players in the future," he told NRL.com.

"Jesse Sue is an experienced player and we're lucky to have him on board. He's really skilful with the footy, he's got great footwork and he's a really aggressive player in defence which is really the type of player we're looking for.

"Plus the experience he brings, I'm really looking forward to playing with Jesse and seeing what he has to offer.

"Some younger guys in Nick Meaney and Jack Cogger from Newcastle who have played a little bit of first grade will be itching to try and nail down a spot over the pre-season.

Five key matchups of the Bulldogs’ 2019 draw

"Corey has been unlucky, he was picked for New Zealand after the season and had a few issues with injury but I'm sure he'll play a lot of Tests in the future."

In 2018 the Bulldogs benefited from the emergence or development of players already within their squad - Lachlan Lewis and Rhyse Martin were eye-catching at times.

The progress of forwards like Renouf To'omaga, Ofahiki Ogden and Francis Tualau will be even more important if Test prop David Klemmer is released to take up a lucrative offer from Newcastle.

Bulldogs 2019 draw snapshot
What you need to know for your NRL team's 2019 draw
While Jackson was hopeful Klemmer would remain at Belmore, he was also encouraged by the depth among the forwards.

"Those guys got a bit of a taste last year and no doubt they'll be playing a lot more first grade this year," he added.

"They had a fantastic season in the ISP [Intrust Super Premiership], winning both competitions [the ISP and State Championship against Intrust Super Cup winners Redcliffe]. They're not back at training yet but I'm really excited to get those guys back – there's a lot of competition for spots [in the pack]."

Jackson's leadership impressed many as he and Pay helped the squad recover from a hugely disappointing first half of the season to show plenty of spirit to win four of their final six games.

"[The captaincy] is still growing and something that was really new to me at the start of the season but I really enjoyed it," Jackson said.

New Bulldogs signing Sauaso Sue.
New Bulldogs signing Sauaso Sue. bulldogs.com.au
"It was challenging, there were a lot of obstacles and things that went on during the season we had to get through but I can't take credit for [the turnaround at the end], that was the whole team and Deano especially as a coach, it was a hard first year for him as well but the group we have and the relationships everyone has with each other.

"We've only been training together this last week and those guys fit in really well. Everyone's getting along well and that's a big part of being a successful team.

"We went through a fair bit [in 2018], a lot of media speculation and a lot of other things went on during the year so I'm really excited to put that behind us.

"It's a very new team, very young squad we've got together this year so we'll spend the summer getting to know each other, getting to know each other's games.

"I'm really excited about the next couple of years. I think we can achieve a lot in the next few years together."

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a bad feeling pay will over look renouf t and he will leave and be a star somewhere,he is a star of the future and needs to be in first grade

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I have a bad feeling pay will over look renouf t and he will leave and be a star somewhere,he is a star of the future and needs to be in first grade
Renouf will slowly transition into first grade....no rush

Pay gave Renouf a few shots this year and Renouf shit himself playing against the big boys...

Some players transition from the lower grades to first grade from the get go (Lewis) while some players need more time...

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Josh Jackson admits there were some "challenges" that came with his debut year as an NRL club captain but is excited about what a refreshed Bulldogs roster can achieve.

Dogs players returned to training last week with new faces Corey Harawira-Naera, Sauaso Sue, Nick Meaney, Jack Cogger, Chris Smith and Christian Crichton on deck.

"There's a lot of competition this pre-season, we've got a lot of spots up for grabs and all those players are going to be big players in the future," he told NRL.com.

"Jesse Sue is an experienced player and we're lucky to have him on board. He's really skilful with the footy, he's got great footwork and he's a really aggressive player in defence which is really the type of player we're looking for.

"Plus the experience he brings, I'm really looking forward to playing with Jesse and seeing what he has to offer.

"Some younger guys in Nick Meaney and Jack Cogger from Newcastle who have played a little bit of first grade will be itching to try and nail down a spot over the pre-season.

Five key matchups of the Bulldogs’ 2019 draw

"Corey has been unlucky, he was picked for New Zealand after the season and had a few issues with injury but I'm sure he'll play a lot of Tests in the future."

In 2018 the Bulldogs benefited from the emergence or development of players already within their squad - Lachlan Lewis and Rhyse Martin were eye-catching at times.

The progress of forwards like Renouf To'omaga, Ofahiki Ogden and Francis Tualau will be even more important if Test prop David Klemmer is released to take up a lucrative offer from Newcastle.

Bulldogs 2019 draw snapshot
What you need to know for your NRL team's 2019 draw
While Jackson was hopeful Klemmer would remain at Belmore, he was also encouraged by the depth among the forwards.

"Those guys got a bit of a taste last year and no doubt they'll be playing a lot more first grade this year," he added.

"They had a fantastic season in the ISP [Intrust Super Premiership], winning both competitions [the ISP and State Championship against Intrust Super Cup winners Redcliffe]. They're not back at training yet but I'm really excited to get those guys back – there's a lot of competition for spots [in the pack]."

Jackson's leadership impressed many as he and Pay helped the squad recover from a hugely disappointing first half of the season to show plenty of spirit to win four of their final six games.

"[The captaincy] is still growing and something that was really new to me at the start of the season but I really enjoyed it," Jackson said.

New Bulldogs signing Sauaso Sue.
New Bulldogs signing Sauaso Sue. bulldogs.com.au
"It was challenging, there were a lot of obstacles and things that went on during the season we had to get through but I can't take credit for [the turnaround at the end], that was the whole team and Deano especially as a coach, it was a hard first year for him as well but the group we have and the relationships everyone has with each other.

"We've only been training together this last week and those guys fit in really well. Everyone's getting along well and that's a big part of being a successful team.

"We went through a fair bit [in 2018], a lot of media speculation and a lot of other things went on during the year so I'm really excited to put that behind us.

"It's a very new team, very young squad we've got together this year so we'll spend the summer getting to know each other, getting to know each other's games.

"I'm really excited about the next couple of years. I think we can achieve a lot in the next few years together."

Isn't it amazing how guys like Jackson can have a really upbeat feeling and then us supporters have already written us off.
Just shows the character of the guy. Hope he remains a one club player and goes down as a doggies legend.
Would be great if Jacko can lift that trophy up one day. It would be a great reward for having faith in the club and busting his back side week in week out.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I really don’t want Sue starting, we already have to deal with Tolmans soft hit ups.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I really don’t want Sue starting, we already have to deal with Tolmans soft hit ups.
Nothing wrong with Sues hitups though. Runs hard and with a low centre of gravity and usually finds his front..blokes just inconsistent because he gets knocked out once a month lol. Defensively he's average though has a strong hit in him at times.

Just looked at his stats.
91 run metres per game
35 minutes per game
9.9m per run
105 runs over 8m
34 runs under 8m
2 line breaks

Those definitely aren't bad stats and it's possible he can make the step up to starting prop if forced and he works on his fitness. His metres per run were the 4th best for any prop last season.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Sues hitups though. Runs hard and with a low centre of gravity and usually finds his front..blokes just inconsistent because he gets knocked out once a month lol. Defensively he's average though has a strong hit in him at times.

Just looked at his stats.
91 run metres per game
35 minutes per game
9.9m per run
105 runs over 8m
34 runs under 8m
2 line breaks

Those definitely aren't bad stats and it's possible he can make the step up to starting prop if forced and he works on his fitness. His metres per run were the 4th best for any prop last season.
Damn the stats definitely tell a different story to what I saw, sometimes he looked like he was running in quick sand but if he can get out those stats next season he can be a decent signing, still don’t want him starting though, I want to see a forward with a good offload and good footwork, I actually really rate Ogden highly and think he will be really pushing for a starting spot by the end of next season

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well of course our captain is going to say things are rosy at Belmore but a glance at our roster, our noted salary cap woes, the David Klemmer saga & TAB's current odds on dogs suggest that things are not rosy. I would far more prefer an honest objective assessment given by management rather than the spin of this article. The fact is we are a long way off where we want to be however our constraints mean this is the best we can do at this juncture. If our salary cap was fixed I doubt we would have signed Sue and at least a further 10 players in our top 30 wouldn't be here. Lets stop going to press with fucking spin & just say it like it is.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn the stats definitely tell a different story to what I saw, sometimes he looked like he was running in quick sand but if he can get out those stats next season he can be a decent signing, still don’t want him starting though, I want to see a forward with a good offload and good footwork, I actually really rate Ogden highly and think he will be really pushing for a starting spot by the end of next season
yeah I was looking forward to sue coming over. He was going to fill one of our problem areas. impact off the bench. I guess maybe he won't now.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Hopefully Steve doesn't let that happen

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Nick Meaney and Jack Cogger from Newcastle who have played a little bit of first grade will be itching to try and nail down a spot over the pre-season.
So there it is.. Meaney and Cogger not starting in first grade but "trying to nail down a spot over the pre-season".

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Wasn’t too keen on Sue at the start but now I’m starting to realise he could be extremely valuable for us. Don’t see him as a starter but he could add some impact and experience to our bench for sure.

14. Elliot
15. Sue
16. RFM
17. To’omaga

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sue will start in the backrow with Martin on the bench.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So there it is.. Meaney and Cogger not starting in first grade but "trying to nail down a spot over the pre-season".
I think both meaney and cogger will be in first grade next year

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sue is not a backrower.

He will be coming off the bench playing prop
He started off in the back row years ago but he’s lost all that mobility. He’s definitely a prop.