Des Hasler returns to Manly

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’ll do well man. As long they don’t give him the keys to everything, he should pull through alright.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Manly may as well rename Lottoland to "FourNTwenty" or "Mrs Macs" Stadium now that Cleals back.

The capitulation of Manly is going to be glorius.

Maybe haslers back to finish what he begun when he left Manly.... total anihillation of the club.

He’ll do well man. As long they don’t give him the keys to everything, he should pull through alright.
Haslers a control freak... he wants control over everything or nothing... there is no middle ground.

Dog Till I Die

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is fantastic! You couldn't have scripted it better.
Any spotlight on the Dogs has suddenly vanished and we can enter pre-season knowing all the media focus will be on Des, no million-dollar hyperbaric chamber, just rusty old bars n bells, and the looming head conflict between him and that other overpaid ****, DCW.
War of the Posers!

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Des has a keen eye for talent.

Which ever junior manly player he lets go , sign him up straight away , he would be a guaranteed star.

Also already feel sorry for who ever is going to play hooker for Manly..... his career is finished , the poor guy just doesn't know it yet.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Which ever junior manly player he lets go , sign him up straight away , he would be a guaranteed star.

Also already feel sorry for who ever is going to play hooker for Manly..... his career is finished , the poor guy just doesn't know it yet.
Lichaa would be a perfect fit for manly let’s swap him and api

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
this has gotta be a dead set gee up, nrl give ya self a triple upper cut

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
ON the day Manly announced Des Hasler’s comeback to the club, another Sea Eagles legend also agreed to make a return.

Former Sea Eagles and Test star Noel ‘Crusher’ Cleal has taken on Manly’s head of recruitment role on Hasler’s football club staff from next season.

Cleal has long been regarded as one of rugby league’s best recruitment managers, having previously spotted the likes of Daly Cherry-Evans, Jamie Lyon, Steve Matai, Kieran Foran, Luke Burt, Andrew Ryan, Damian Cook, Matt Ballin, Rhyse Martin, Marcelo Montoya, David Williams and Michael Lichha.

Cleal was Hasler’s recruitment manager during Manly’s golden years when the club made grand finals in 2007, 2008 and 2011.

“I still have the music in me,” Cleal told The Daily Telegraph. “I am absolutely happy to be back, especially with Des being back.

“It was an opportunity too good to refuse. I cannot wait to get my nose in the trough again.

“When Des rang, I jumped at the chance. I am over the moon and am really looking forward to it.

“There is plenty of talent at Manly that the club can build on.”

Cleal played 10 Tests for Australia and 13 State of Origin matches for NSW. He also played 125 games for Manly between 1983 and 1989, scoring 43 tries.

He has made as much impact off the field in recruitment as he did on the field as a rampaging centre and second rower.

When employed as Canterbury’s recruitment guru, Cleal spotted Cook playing fullback in St George’s Illawarra lower grades before luring him to Belmore.

Cook is now the NSW hooker.

Cleal also pulled Cherry-Evans out of suburban Brisbane while, when boss of Parramatta’s recruitment, lured the great Lyon out Wee Waa of back in 2000.
just on Noel cleals job, seriously how hard could it be to recruit stand out players from younger league .

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
just on Noel cleals job, seriously how hard could it be to recruit stand out players from younger league .
As hard as spotting the kid’s talent who “was not part of the group sex” back in 2004.

This is why Peter mullholland was cut above the rest, he gave us SBW and the other dog we can’t talk about.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Would love it if we can get Taupau back. I know he’s a bit hit and miss though we lack that kind of player.

If Des seriously wants to talk trades re Tolman we should be all for it
Taupau is a good player...for about 15 minutes and then he goes MIA.
Tolman plays and puts in for 80 minutes. He doesnt stop and usually tops the tackle count.
Taupau's go forward is a myth. He is usually easy to contain.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not sure if mentioned but good ole NOLE CRUSHER CLEAL is back at Manly with him. Haha

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Clean is back too? Shit just got real...

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dont stress man, this will work out good for us. We give dess his dess ball guys and pluck the eyes out of there best talent. Dont be surprised if we do get api now. He has a clause in his contract that triggers if manly got a new coach, i think he has right too look elsewhere from minute des became new coach. Still has contract with manly but is free to walk away if he wants too.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
He'll sign Buhrer and Foz on the cheap. Plus he's already got his dream spine combo of Trebojevic, Hodkinson & Cherry-Evans.
Des isnt known for buying players "on the cheap"

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Manly may as well rename Lottoland to "FourNTwenty" or "Mrs Macs" Stadium now that Cleals back.

The capitulation of Manly is going to be glorius.

Maybe haslers back to finish what he begun when he left Manly.... total anihillation of the club.

Haslers a control freak... he wants control over everything or nothing... there is no middle ground.
Just wondering where this leaves Marty Tapau and to a lesser extent Sean lane considering it was those 2 knuckleheads in clear and Hasler that deemed these 2 not up to NRL ..

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Just wondering where this leaves Marty Tapau and to a lesser extent Sean lane considering it was those 2 knuckleheads in clear and Hasler that deemed these 2 not up to NRL ..
Lane plays for Parra now.
Taupau will chase the money at the Roosters/Souths.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
I wish Hasler all the best.
He coached us to 2 grand finals, respect to him for that.
He made some mistakes:
- Trying to keep the GF team together to win the comp, and
- became overly obsessed with stats and went away from what he does best.

Hasler has always behaved respectfully and never had an inappropriate word to say about a player or the club in all of the messy Dib vs Andos politics that occurred.

He will be sucessful at Manly.
Respectful to the players maybe but the 2 times I went to an official function where questions were thrown at him by our fans he was nothing but totally arrogant and disrespectful.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is Penn taking the piss ??
That slob Dean Ritchie reports today that Scott Penn described Hasler as rugby leagues salary cap master.
He said Des is one of the masters of cap management.
Is he for real ?

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Taupau is a good player...for about 15 minutes and then he goes MIA.
Tolman plays and puts in for 80 minutes. He doesnt stop and usually tops the tackle count.
Taupau's go forward is a myth. He is usually easy to contain.
Taupu has an average of 157m a game that’s not to bad. What do you mean his go forward is a myth? Your right about Toleman !

Last edited: