Des Hasler returns to Manly

Smirrors

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Their forwards are solid as. Trbrojevic, Taupau, Fonua Blake, Joel Thompson, Api, Sironen, Tanginoa.

Wingers and centres a bit bare.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me...!"

Manly hasn't learnt from their past mistakes and will probably (hopefully :smilingimp:) repeat them...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I just can't see it. Manly have lazy forwards, and an overrated backline.

Not to mention a half with a massive ego.

I see them ending up about 10-12th next season.

2018 Team Stats:
All Run Metres - 10/16 (Bulldogs 8)
All Runs - 14/16 (Bulldogs 7)
Post Contact Metres - 9/16 (Bulldogs 7)
Possession - 3/16 (Bulldogs 7/16) BUT Completions 15/16 (Bulldogs 1/16).

Put simply their forwards are lazy/unfit, get gassed too quickly, and make too many mistakes.

Last edited:

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My first reaction was “hahaha sucked in Manly” my next was... shit he’s and got a good spine, great ball playing forwards a quick dummy half.. everything he craved for with us and we still almost win a comp..I’m concerned!
Yeah well we had cook... Nuff said

Donkey Slayer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish we kept this gronk, flipped him over and tied him to a mop then given to the cleaners to wash our floors at belmore for his 1.3 mil or whatever ....
When you think about it lol

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
He apparently came out today and said he isn't changing his style.

Desball is back because he is an arrogant fraud.

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
And the paper yesterday said Hasler may bring back recruitment GURU* Noel Cleale.
*Paper word, not mine!!!!

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Y'know, we always talk about Dez' game plan, and sure it was an issue.. but do you think a spine of Reynolds, Mbye, Lichaa places better under another coach? those past couple of seasons? we were worse this year till a decent half came into the picture
Des had 5 years to fix it. Instead, he made it worse as time went on. Tends to happen when u heavily backend contracts.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day no one wanted des and no one wanted manly but at the end of the day desssies heart was always at manly

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
“I’ve always had a pretty robust philosophy towards the best way to manage cap and list management at the time,” Hasler said as he appeared to read a pre- written answer in Monday’s press conference to trumpet his arrival, after first saying it wasn’t the time to discuss Canterbury’s cap matters.

“With an incumbent coach it’s always that coach’s priority to look at that list and to manage that list and carve out a way going forward.

“I think that exercise shouldn’t be about laying the blame but rather (about) going forward.

“It will be no different for me and I will adopt that and it will be the same as when I was at Canterbury and also at Manly here prior to 2012.

“Players’ values are very subjective and it’s got to fit in with the coach’s plans at that particular time.

“I think it’s naive to suggest that one salary cap management plan is another’s misery.” Hasler indicated on Monday he’d likely take a similar approach into his return at Manly, defending the method that took the club to two premierships.

“I’ve always had a plan. I’ve always been committed to executing that plan going into the future in my time at the Dogs and in time here prior to Manly,” Hasler said.

“Had I been retained in those coaching roles I would have been committed to seeing those plans through and manage those matters that I’ve always had.

“In my coaching time we’ve had some success.

“The notion of back-ended deals as reported is simplistic and generally wrong. It does not have regard to many factors that come into list management.”

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
ON the day Manly announced Des Hasler’s comeback to the club, another Sea Eagles legend also agreed to make a return.

Former Sea Eagles and Test star Noel ‘Crusher’ Cleal has taken on Manly’s head of recruitment role on Hasler’s football club staff from next season.

Cleal has long been regarded as one of rugby league’s best recruitment managers, having previously spotted the likes of Daly Cherry-Evans, Jamie Lyon, Steve Matai, Kieran Foran, Luke Burt, Andrew Ryan, Damian Cook, Matt Ballin, Rhyse Martin, Marcelo Montoya, David Williams and Michael Lichha.

Cleal was Hasler’s recruitment manager during Manly’s golden years when the club made grand finals in 2007, 2008 and 2011.

“I still have the music in me,” Cleal told The Daily Telegraph. “I am absolutely happy to be back, especially with Des being back.

“It was an opportunity too good to refuse. I cannot wait to get my nose in the trough again.

“When Des rang, I jumped at the chance. I am over the moon and am really looking forward to it.

“There is plenty of talent at Manly that the club can build on.”

Cleal played 10 Tests for Australia and 13 State of Origin matches for NSW. He also played 125 games for Manly between 1983 and 1989, scoring 43 tries.

He has made as much impact off the field in recruitment as he did on the field as a rampaging centre and second rower.

When employed as Canterbury’s recruitment guru, Cleal spotted Cook playing fullback in St George’s Illawarra lower grades before luring him to Belmore.

Cook is now the NSW hooker.

Cleal also pulled Cherry-Evans out of suburban Brisbane while, when boss of Parramatta’s recruitment, lured the great Lyon out Wee Waa of back in 2000.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
CONFIRMED: https://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2018/10/22/des-hasler-appointed-manly-head-coach/

I give it 6 months before fans are calling for Toovey.

They will play Desball, they will flop, fans will be up in arms.

Des Hasler hasn't changed his style of coaching in like a decade.. he's not about to start now.

Hasler coached sides rely on tight defence and very little on attack.

He'll get caught out really fast these days.
Let’s make a bet. 6 months into the premiership of Hasler is exceeding expectations I get to be super moderator for a week, if I lose I’m banned for a week.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
ON the day Manly announced Des Hasler’s comeback to the club, another Sea Eagles legend also agreed to make a return.

Former Sea Eagles and Test star Noel ‘Crusher’ Cleal has taken on Manly’s head of recruitment role on Hasler’s football club staff from next season.

Cleal has long been regarded as one of rugby league’s best recruitment managers, having previously spotted the likes of Daly Cherry-Evans, Jamie Lyon, Steve Matai, Kieran Foran, Luke Burt, Andrew Ryan, Damian Cook, Matt Ballin, Rhyse Martin, Marcelo Montoya, David Williams and Michael Lichha.

Cleal was Hasler’s recruitment manager during Manly’s golden years when the club made grand finals in 2007, 2008 and 2011.

“I still have the music in me,” Cleal told The Daily Telegraph. “I am absolutely happy to be back, especially with Des being back.

“It was an opportunity too good to refuse. I cannot wait to get my nose in the trough again.

“When Des rang, I jumped at the chance. I am over the moon and am really looking forward to it.

Cleal played 10 Tests for Australia and 13 State of Origin matches for NSW. He also played 125 games for Manly between 1983 and 1989, scoring 43 tries.

He has made as much impact off the field in recruitment as he did on the field as a rampaging centre and second rower.

When employed as Canterbury’s recruitment guru, Cleal spotted Cook playing fullback in St George’s Illawarra lower grades before luring him to Belmore.

Cleal also pulled Cherry-Evans out of suburban Brisbane while, when boss of Parramatta’s recruitment, lured the great Lyon out Wee Waa of back in 2000.
Haha cleal as well and des in denial of his salary cap mismanagement its good to see he has learnt from his mistakes fuck me talk about a stubborn prick

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol, the silvertails forum is calling him Desus.

It was an opportunity too good to refuse. I cannot wait to get my nose in the trough again.
He certainly had his snout in the trough with us. Got plenty of money for doing nothing.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Best quote from Cleal