Who’s better Montoya or Crichton?

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you had to choose for the last wing position, who would it be Montoya or Crichton?

Barry Fozzard 1

Waterboy
Reaction score
If you had to choose for the last wing position, who would it be Montoya or Crichton?
The only thing Montoya is good at is catching bombs. Other than that he offers nothing in attack and nothing in defence. Too slow. I haven't seen anything really of Crichton but surely he can't be as average as Montoya.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
hard to say really, everyone is quick to bash montoya this year and fair enough he copped some 2nd year syndrome but this whole forum thought we had a diamond when he came onto the scene in 2017. if he goes back to that form I would think he would be ahead of what ive seen on crichton so far

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Literally any player that played wing in the NRL in 2018 over Montoya.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Pay mentioned somewhere (I think it was in a presser), that Montoya would start and probably play centre next year.

Can't recall exactly where I saw/read it though.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Montoya needs to understand that he needs to add different aspects to his game considering he doesn't really have speed or size. He needs to become a better defender and also become a better runner from dummy half coming out of our own end.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Crichton isn’t a world beater. But what they both have in their favour is hoppa is the only first grader we have as a back. Remis probably deserves first shot at a wing spot. So 3 positions up for grabs between Montoya, Crichton, Holland and meany.

You’d think hoppa is our only genuine fullback option? And if remis is injury free that leaves 2 centre and a wing spot up for grabs.

I just can’t see critchon being a game breaker. In Montoya’s defence he was our top try scorer in 17 with something like 11 or so. Critchon only has 4 first grade tries so definitely not a Ferguson, tupou, holmes, vunuvalu type. Montoya is skin and bones. He literally has no calves and chicken leg ankles. So neither are amazing options. But I can honestly see them probably both getting a chance. We don’t have other options with experience unfortunately.

Let’s just hope Remis can kick on because our back line makes Australia post look fast.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Montoya can play. I think he got into a slump and lost confidence. I haven't seen a lot of Crighton since I pretty much just watch Dogs games, but if Lewis can offer decent bombs next year it will play to Montoya's strengths. He was dropped around the time Lewis was promoted if memory serves me well. So I'm not writing him off yet. A little confidence can bring out the best in players and his debut season was pretty good. I'd need to see what Chrighton offers to judge.

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
when they did that touching segment on montoya on sunday football i thought he was bullshit

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not too comfortable with either.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Montoya is a good winger. He failed a bit last year because he tried to cover for Hopoates defensive liabilities.
I would like to see Montoya as winger with CHN playing centre inside him.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Both are average and lack pace I don’t really think there’s much between them.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
i think the most disappointing thing about Montoya in 2018 was his decision making.. on countless times in both attack and defence he mad the wrong choice .. its difficult to teach someone a footy brain and unfortunately his natural abilities aren't enough to make up for his lack of footy brain...

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Montoya continues his recent form, he’ll be playing for moorebank before long.

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Crichton purely for the fact of starting sets from dummy half scoots. I think he is a strong runner but he is shorter and could be a liability from cross field kicks. For team balance id prob leave hoppa at fullback for this season and play meaney on the wing. Rather than chuck him straight in the deep end with a inexperienced spine, he can bide his time on the wing and get used to fg like chooks did with RTS (not comparing the players rather the coaching strategy)