Member and corporate update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
We thought that it was important to write to you regarding recent events as part of our commitment to being transparent with you as the most important part of our club. We have waited until this time to do so as we have been finalising the club's response to the recent NRL Breach Notice. That response has now been submitted.

As a club we were disappointed at some of the behaviours that took place at our end of season celebration. We understand that it was unacceptable and a bad look for the club and the game.

However, we also need to take stock of the facts around the day and how this situation transpired.

Our players were celebrating the end of their season at a private function at a venue that they had used for three consecutive years.

The function was in a private area on the third floor and there was no access to the public. This was consistent with previous years.

The invasion of privacy that has followed and the subsequent stories that evolved have had a major impact on the individuals involved, their families and the club.

What we need to remember here is that these are good people who have worked hard within the community and our club. It is important that we remember this as we deal with the fallout from this situation. We as a club will stand by our people and support them as part of the Bulldogs family.

We think that it is also important to correct some of the information that has been reported :

* Lachlan Lewis was not in attendance at the event as was initially reported in some quarters

* The club attempted to make contact with Jaycar the morning after the event. However, it is important to acknowledge and thank Jaycar for their long standing association with the Bulldogs as a major partner

* The report of a GoFundMe page being set up by a member of staff was incorrect

We are now in the process of a full review of the day that has included speaking with both players and staff. All parties involved have acknowledged that there was behaviour on the day that was not up to the standards expected by our club and that stronger processes should have been in place to prevent and react to it differently.

We will now put steps in place to make sure that we respond to the learnings of this review and have submitted our response to the NRL Breach Notice.

It is disappointing that this has taken away from a positive end to our season on the field that offers great optimism for next year.

As always we appreciate your support and passion for the Bulldogs.

Kind Regards

Lynne Anderson and Andrew Hill

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
About time the club stands up for itself against the media bullshit

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury have apologised to members for the “unacceptable” behaviour of players during Mad Monday celebrations, claiming the “invasion of privacy” during the event has taken a heavy toll on the Family Club.

The NRL has slugged the Bulldogs with a proposed $250,000 fine, the highest ever for player misbehaviour. The club responded to the breach notice on Thursday, with a final determination expected after the grand final.

The players have also been hit in the hip pocket, with Adam Elliott and Asipeli Fine fined $25,000 each ($10,000 suspended) for their naked antics at the Harbour View Hotel in The Rocks. The pair have also been charged by police with wilful and obscene exposure, while Marcelo Montoya $10,000 ($5000 suspended) and Woolford $10,000 ($5000 suspended) have also been fined by the club.

Bulldogs chair Lynne Anderson was overseas on business during the fallout,\ but addressed the issue for the first time in a letter to members. The letter, co-authored by chief executive Andrew Hill, apologised for the incident.

“As a club we were disappointed at some of the behaviours that took place at our end of season celebration,” they wrote.

“We understand that it was unacceptable and a bad look for the club and the game. However, we also need to take stock of the facts around the day and how this situation transpired. Our players were celebrating the end of their season at a private function at a venue that they had used for three consecutive years.

“The function was in a private area on the third floor and there was no access to the public. This was consistent with previous years.

“The invasion of privacy that has followed and the subsequent stories that evolved have had a major impact on the individuals involved, their families and the club.

“What we need to remember here is that these are good people who have worked hard within the community and our club. It is important that we remember this as we deal with the fallout from this situation. We as a club will stand by our people and support them as part of the Bulldogs family.”

Having hit Canterbury with the biggest fine for player misbehaviour in the game’s history, all eyes will be on the NRL’s response following allegations South Sydney players exposed themselves to a woman in a video chat. However, they governing body must first determine whether its initial punishment of the Bulldogs will stand.

The club has already paid a heavy price after long-time sponsor Jaycar officially severed ties.

Hill and Anderson wanted to clear up some of the misinformation surrounding the Canterbury incident in the message to members.

“Lachlan Lewis was not in attendance at the event as was initially reported in some quarters,” the pair wrote.

“The club attempted to make contact with Jaycar the morning after the event. However, it is important to acknowledge and thank Jaycar for their long-standing association with the Bulldogs as a major partner.

“The report of a GoFundMe page being set up by a member of staff was incorrect.

“We are now in the process of a full review of the day that has included speaking with both players and staff. All parties involved have acknowledged that there was behaviour on the day that was not up to the standards expected by our club and that stronger processes should have been in place to prevent and react to it differently.

“We will now put steps in place to make sure that we respond to the learnings of this review and have submitted our response to the NRL breach notice.

“It is disappointing that this has taken away from a positive end to our season on the field that offers great optimism for next year.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bu...nday-invasion-of-privacy-20180914-p503u9.html

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We thought that it was important to write to you regarding recent events as part of our commitment to being transparent with you as the most important part of our club. We have waited until this time to do so as we have been finalising the club's response to the recent NRL Breach Notice. That response has now been submitted.

As a club we were disappointed at some of the behaviours that took place at our end of season celebration. We understand that it was unacceptable and a bad look for the club and the game.

However, we also need to take stock of the facts around the day and how this situation transpired.

Our players were celebrating the end of their season at a private function at a venue that they had used for three consecutive years.

The function was in a private area on the third floor and there was no access to the public. This was consistent with previous years.

The invasion of privacy that has followed and the subsequent stories that evolved have had a major impact on the individuals involved, their families and the club.

What we need to remember here is that these are good people who have worked hard within the community and our club. It is important that we remember this as we deal with the fallout from this situation. We as a club will stand by our people and support them as part of the Bulldogs family.

We think that it is also important to correct some of the information that has been reported :

* Lachlan Lewis was not in attendance at the event as was initially reported in some quarters

* The club attempted to make contact with Jaycar the morning after the event. However, it is important to acknowledge and thank Jaycar for their long standing association with the Bulldogs as a major partner

* The report of a GoFundMe page being set up by a member of staff was incorrect

We are now in the process of a full review of the day that has included speaking with both players and staff. All parties involved have acknowledged that there was behaviour on the day that was not up to the standards expected by our club and that stronger processes should have been in place to prevent and react to it differently.

We will now put steps in place to make sure that we respond to the learnings of this review and have submitted our response to the NRL Breach Notice.

It is disappointing that this has taken away from a positive end to our season on the field that offers great optimism for next year.

As always we appreciate your support and passion for the Bulldogs.

Kind Regards

Lynne Anderson and Andrew Hill

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2018/09/14/member-and-corporate-partner-update/

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I just read this same email and went to post it on here but was beaten to it. I just want to add that it seems like we aren't taking this lying down and I love this line "The invasion of privacy that has followed and the subsequent stories that evolved have had a major impact on the individuals involved, their families and the club."

It would be safe to say that this would be along the same lines as the reply to the NRL. I am very pleased with it. With the Souths scandal going on right now I expect the NRL to come out and reduce our fine to no more than $100k. Which I still think is $100k too much personally. I also have a sneaky suspicion based on the wording in this email that the club will go after the Telegraph once the NRL finalises the fine.

I am actually excited. Thanks Souffs. More importantly thanks Lyn.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How the Fuck do the shit journos get the facts so incredibly wrong? Saying someone is there when they weren’t is blaintant defimation. What a bunch of amateurs.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This comment will probably draw some slack but I want an apology for the board not standing up to NRL and the media when this was in the spotlight, not when it started to die down. This is what I'd want:

1. A public apology to Elliot for not standing up for him last week.
2. The club to take care of Fine for next year, not only did they leave him out for the wolves last week but he got seriously injured playing for the club 2 days after they left him out to dry, yeah fucking equality right.
3. A refusal to pay the fine, if the players had their privacy invaded then why are they going to accept the fine.

Malla

Reaction score
This comment will probably draw some slack but I want an apology for the board not standing up to NRL and the media when this was in the spotlight, not when it started to die down. This is what I'd want:

1. A public apology to Elliot for not standing up for him last week.
2. The club to take care of Fine for next year, not only did they leave him out for the wolves last week but he got seriously injured playing for the club 2 days after they left him out to dry, yeah fucking equality right.
3. A refusal to pay the fine, if the players had their privacy invaded then why are they going to accept the fine.
1. How much more did you want them to stand up for Elliot?
2. Why should the club take care of Fine? He got injured. Part of the game.
3. If you get fined by the cops and refuse to pay then what happens?

You’re a flog

Malla

Reaction score
How the Fuck do the shit journos get the facts so incredibly wrong? Saying someone is there when they weren’t is blaintant defimation. What a bunch of amateurs.
I think you’ll find that journos purposely made shit up because they knew it would create the shit storm it did

I really hope Bulldogs pursue this to the death. There needs to be reform in the way journo’s go about their business

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you’ll find that journos purposely made shit up because they knew it would create the shit storm it did

I really hope Bulldogs pursue this to the death. There needs to be reform in the way journo’s go about their business
Reading some of Lynne’s quotes I wouldn’t be surprised if we launched legal action.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This sounds like the Dogs have left themselves open for legal action against the DT.

1. Lachlan Lewis named as being there but wasn't.
2. Was a private function and an invasion of privacy.
3. False reporting regarding a Go Fund Me page.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
This sounds like the Dogs have left themselves open for legal action against the DT.

1. Lachlan Lewis named as being there but wasn't.
2. Was a private function and an invasion of privacy.
3. False reporting regarding a Go Fund Me page.
We should sue the Tele and ask for dt least $250k in damages. They have defamed the club and I think we’d win.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can only assume Lachlan Lewis and his family have received a sincere apology from the Daily Telecrap. :sob: I still can't believe his (or whoever it actually was) supposed misdemeanor of hopping into a Uber as a passenger was considering worthy of including in the 'story'.

Status
Not open for further replies.