Opinion Should we Pay the $250000 Fine or Just say No

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My thoughts are we should inform the NRL we have fined the players and will not be paying the $250K fine, at the end of the day what can the NRL do to impose it? if we dont pay it are they going to Fine us again?

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't think it works that way unfortunately. We will be forced to the full $250k unless the NRL are satisfied with our response. The 3 players fined is start and will reduce the fine. But they really want to see heads roll. Only this will drop the final amount issued by the NRL. They failed to do it to Cronulla after the Dugan and Fifita podcast so will make the example out of us. AGAIN. We are always the dummy case. Like when we cheated the cap and lost all our points, and since then they have softened on it, look at Parra last season. We can't not pay it as they will deduct it from our NRL grant. They control the purse. I just hope that we don't make anyone fall on their sword for this just to reduce the amount. We have money, so I would hope they stay loyal and just pay up. I still burn about Turvey stepping down after Coffs Harbour.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
If anyone had seen the Kent V Beattie interview that was floating around on FB (Linked below now) then we would all be saying NO. I would be advising the NRL that we will pay 20k fine as that would be about on par for the normal, we will not continue to be made an example of (which is what Beattie said) especially while other clubs continue to be unsanctioned for their episodes (Fafita & Dugan podcast, Matt Lodge, Cronulla cheating, Cam Smith cheating etc etc etc). I would saying 250k is ridiculous and you cannot justify the amount based on precedence and if you wish to go to court than let's go. Plus the amount of disrepute the admin is putting the game through is way more damaging than a private function with some stalker taking picture with a telescopic lens.

Edit: Plus for once public opinion is clearly on our side in this issue, I would say 90% of the RL fans agree this is BS.

Edit2: Furthermore I would be taking the DT and photographers to court regarding the pictures and lack of permission. I would rather our club throw 250k towards court costs and making a statement that our club will no longer allow the biased attitude to continue and be made examples of just because we can afford it.

Last edited:

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Is the figure non-negotiable? I would argue the severity of the fine.

Last edited:

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
We should pay it on the condition the Daily Telegraph match it. They profited heavily from stalking and invading someone's privacy and a 250K fine should be giving to Charity. Or the DT should be paying half the fine given they profited so well from it.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I recon it will end up being $100k or $150k and the rest suspended.
I think there will be a "suspended" portion too. I doubt they thought that such a huge portion of the public would call it BS. Suspended is a way of reducing while keeping face.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
$100K, $150K, $200K or $250K....its all unacceptable and way over the top IMO. I think it will be reduced to a more acceptable amount! we will find out soon enough I guess!
Today is the day the club have to tell the NRL if we are appealing I’d be shocked and disappointed if we don’t.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Today is the day the club have to tell the NRL if we are appealing I’d be shocked and disappointed if we don’t.
The last thing the NRL would want is us to appeal it and make them justify the decision. I think the facts about how this came about should see the light of day!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
theongoing dispute would bring the game into more disrepute than mad monday ever did.

if NRL had just let it go or imposed a small fine it wouldnt have blown up. They are too blame

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fuck paying it and fuck the administration the useless pricks

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree that I think some of it will eventually be "suspended".

But as others ave said, if we don't pay up, it will just be taken out of the club grant.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't know but I get the feeling from hearing some things last Sunday that the club is extremely unhappy with the way the NRL has looked at the Mad Monday episode. I believe they will be working in private to have the fine reduced substantially and that the skeletons in the NRL closet will be rattled. There are so many things inherently wrong with the way this was handled by the NRL including their blinkered understanding of the fact that if the Tele did not go out of its way to MAKE this a sordid little party piece in their publication NOTHING would have been ever known.The fact that Greenberg actually was allowed to watch the video ( still can't work out how he was) defies belief. Yeah if it was a CCTV footage that was the property of the NRL I could understand but it is the property of the establishment in which it was taken. I read that under the law the footage is only kept for a specific period of time and then deleted unless required by the LAW and that it is a big no no to ever use the footage for private gain or purposes.

Listening to Beattie he made little sense in relation to answering the questions re inaction in other things ( Fafita etc). They were unhappy with the Canberra punishment and increased that but were happy with the Cronulla ones involving Fafita and Dugan and took no such action in increasing them. He bumbled and stumbled trying to cover his and his NRL asses.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
If u took a photo of somebody nude on a public beach and published it, you would be arrested and sued. You take a nude photo of a partner and publish it with the intent of embarrassing them, you get arrested and sued. Yet u take a nude photo of someone at a private function, and publish it with the intent of embarassing them and their employer, nothing, and the person photographed and their club get a fine and the person photographed is arrested.

I dont get it....

Todd is a deadset muppet

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone had seen the Kent V Beattie interview that was floating around on FB (Linked below now) then we would all be saying NO. I would be advising the NRL that we will pay 20k fine as that would be about on par for the normal, we will not continue to be made an example of (which is what Beattie said) especially while other clubs continue to be unsanctioned for their episodes (Fafita & Dugan podcast, Matt Lodge, Cronulla cheating, Cam Smith cheating etc etc etc). I would saying 250k is ridiculous and you cannot justify the amount based on precedence and if you wish to go to court than let's go. Plus the amount of disrepute the admin is putting the game through is way more damaging than a private function with some stalker taking picture with a telescopic lens.

Edit: Plus for once public opinion is clearly on our side in this issue, I would say 90% of the RL fans agree this is BS.

Edit2: Furthermore I would be taking the DT and photographers to court regarding the pictures and lack of permission. I would rather our club throw 250k towards court costs and making a statement that our club will no longer allow the biased attitude to continue and be made examples of just because we can afford it.

100% agree. Also we've always been at war with the media and that won't change so better off fighting than playing nice.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My thoughts are we should inform the NRL we have fined the players and will not be paying the $250K fine, at the end of the day what can the NRL do to impose it? if we dont pay it are they going to Fine us again?
We should Say NO to the criminals
Stop Your BULLYING News Ltd, Channel 9 and The National Rorters League !!!

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure we don't pay the fine. The fine comes out of funding allocated next year.