Are we shooting ourselves in the foot by making too many promises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We have promised CHN, Meaney, Cogger and Crichton first grade football next season, I've seen quotes or videos from each of them confirming this throughout the year. The problem is this was before Lewis, Smith and Martin broke out into the scene.

Problem 1: We have Foran on a million dollar contract and Lewis looking like a future star so there is no room for Cogger unless he is playing utility off the bench.

Problem 2: We have CHN, Elliot, Jackson, RFM and Martin all playing for 3 positions and with Jackson being captain and CHN being promised a spot then that leaves 1 spot for 3 players and out of the three you have Elliot who is a Pay favourite, RFM who made the Kiwis team and Martin being our best goalkicker. None of the 3 will want to play from the bench.

If we honour the promises then it will result in some players becoming unsettled because they will be stuck on the bench or reserve grade whilst if we break them then it will turn off free agents in the future as we would be seen with a bad rep.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you sure we have promised them they will play first grade or said there is a chance for them if they earn it?

I don’t see a problem with competing for positions and if they get unsettled we have depth for them to get settled in ISP.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure we have promised them they will play first grade or said there is a chance for them if they earn it?

I don’t see a problem with competing for positions and if they get unsettled we have depth for them to get settled in ISP.
Im sure it wouldn't have been a promise for a first grade spot, but rather a promise of a spot subject to them meeting certain conditions, i.e strength and conditioning, performance in the trials, attitude during the offseason etc...

With the exception of CHN i cant see any of the recruits playing FG with us next year unless injuries arise.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know Cogger has confirmed that he was not promised a First Grade spot only a chance for a first grade spot. Out of those 4 probably only CHN may have been told.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have promised CHN, Meaney, Cogger and Crichton first grade football next season, I've seen quotes or videos from each of them confirming this throughout the year. The problem is this was before Lewis, Smith and Martin broke out into the scene.

Problem 1: We have Foran on a million dollar contract and Lewis looking like a future star so there is no room for Cogger unless he is playing utility off the bench.

Problem 2: We have CHN, Elliot, Jackson, RFM and Martin all playing for 3 positions and with Jackson being captain and CHN being promised a spot then that leaves 1 spot for 3 players and out of the three you have Elliot who is a Pay favourite, RFM who made the Kiwis team and Martin being our best goalkicker. None of the 3 will want to play from the bench.

If we honour the promises then it will result in some players becoming unsettled because they will be stuck on the bench or reserve grade whilst if we break them then it will turn off free agents in the future as we would be seen with a bad rep.
Well I say, for once we have competition for spots.

Meaney will play fullback, pay has confirmed it.
Crichton will play wing
Smith other wing of course
Hoppa centre

Jackson lock
CHN second row
Martin/Mariner to battle it out

Bench
Elliot
Sue
Ogden
Cogger/Marshall king (please no)

Really the only spot that needs to be filled is the other centre position, for those of you who think holland is the answer please do not respond to my thread

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen Cogger interviewed saying he's been promised nothing. Don't know about the others.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
OP must of got a job at NewsCorp with all the baseless assumptions he’s making

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
None of those players would of been promised a spot

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If true and If all fit this is what the starting team could be with current roster
1. meaney
2. crichton
3. holland
4. hopoate
5. smith
6. lewis
7. foran
8. tolman
9. lichaa
10. klemmer
11. CHN
12. martin
13. jackson
14. cogger
15. elliott
16. ogden
17. fualalo

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sorry my bad guys, I just seem to remember the majority of the article about Cogger saying he moved because he wanted to play first grade and the Bulldogs were going to give him first shot. The article about CHN definitely mentioned today that he was given a leadership role and a starting spot next season.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The kennel and selective reading/hearing lol

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Crichton will play wing
Hoppa centre

Jackson lock
CHN second row

Bench
Elliot
Sue
Ogden

Really the only spot that needs to be filled is the other centre position, for those of you who think holland is the answer please do not respond to my thread
1.Meaney
2.crichton
3.Holland/montoya
4.Hoppa
5.smith
6.Lewis
7.Foran
8.tolman
9.lichaa
10 klemmer
11.CHN
12.Martin
13.Jackson

Bench
14.Elliot - interchange with Jackson
15.Mariner - interchange with CHN
16.Ogden/Sue - interchange with Klemmer
17.Marshall King - interchange with lichaa

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Crichton will play wing
Hoppa centre

Jackson lock
CHN second row

Bench
Elliot
Sue
Ogden

where has Pay confirmed Meaney will play FB? please post link...

Hoppa will stay at FB...Meaney will play FB in trials only...Meaney is our third best FB behind Hoppa & Cerutto

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
where has Pay confirmed Meaney will play FB? please post link...

Hoppa will stay at FB...Meaney will play FB in trials only...Meaney is our third best FB behind Hoppa & Cerutto
Also the Smith,Holland partnership will not be altered.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Crichton will play wing
Hoppa centre

Jackson lock
CHN second row

Bench
Elliot
Sue
Ogden

Holland is a better centre than Hoppa, don't @ me.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If true and If all fit this is what the starting team could be with current roster
1. meaney
2. crichton
3. holland
4. hopoate
5. smith
6. lewis
7. foran
8. tolman
9. lichaa
10. klemmer
11. CHN
12. martin