Ivan Cleary to stay at Tigers in 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/11/ivan-cleary-to-stay-with-wests-tigers-in-2019/

Ivan Cleary has ruled out a return to Penrith, confirming he will continue to coach the Wests Tigers in 2019.

After days of speculation, Cleary addressed a large media contingent on Saturday morning, insisting he had not received an offer from the Panthers and would honour his contract with the Tigers.

Never one to seek the limelight, Cleary appeared anything but comfortable as he read from a prepared statement and spoke of the "misinformation" surrounding his coaching future.

Cleary also made it clear he would not take any questions regarding the issue.

"When I was approached by the Panthers I had no idea it was about coaching their club. I was told at that meeting the club was looking at the head coaching position. I advised the Panthers of my ongoing contract status with the Wests Tigers. I advised the Chair and CEO of the Tigers of the discussions I had with the Panthers."

Cleary said he had no idea the Panthers were going to sack coach Anthony Griffin last Monday.

"I was as surprised as anyone on the announcement of the dismissal of Anthony Griffin. I have not received any offer from the Panthers nor have I asked the Wests Tigers for a release. I am enjoying my contribution at this club and the club is growing nicely. I respect the contract I have with the Wests Tigers and I intend to honour this contract."

A move to Penrith would've allowed Cleary to coach his son Nathan. That won't happen next year but the pair openly admit they eventually want to be at the same club.

"It is common knowledge that my son Nathan and I have acknowledged our desire to work together at some time. That remains the case."

@Tacky breathes a sigh of relief.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Never one to seek the limelight, Cleary appeared anything but comfortable as he read from a prepared statement and spoke of the "misinformation" surrounding his coaching future.

The above statements still raises flags for me. The fact that he seemed uncomfortable reading a prepared statement (Was he reading his own prepared statement or did the club prepare it for him) and was unwilling to answer any questions regarding the issue makes me feel there is more to the rumors than Cleary wants to divulge.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Either way suck shit Panthers ... Gould must be perched on his seat hoping his plan works, else members might move to out him.

Tacky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/11/ivan-cleary-to-stay-with-wests-tigers-in-2019/

Ivan Cleary has ruled out a return to Penrith, confirming he will continue to coach the Wests Tigers in 2019.

After days of speculation, Cleary addressed a large media contingent on Saturday morning, insisting he had not received an offer from the Panthers and would honour his contract with the Tigers.

"When I was approached by the Panthers I had no idea it was about coaching their club. I was told at that meeting the club was looking at the head coaching position. I advised the Panthers of my ongoing contract status with the Wests Tigers. I advised the Chair and CEO of the Tigers of the discussions I had with the Panthers."

Cleary said he had no idea the Panthers were going to sack coach Anthony Griffin last Monday.

"I was as surprised as anyone on the announcement of the dismissal of Anthony Griffin. I have not received any offer from the Panthers nor have I asked the Wests Tigers for a release. I am enjoying my contribution at this club and the club is growing nicely. I respect the contract I have with the Wests Tigers and I intend to honour this contract."

A move to Penrith would've allowed Cleary to coach his son Nathan. That won't happen next year but the pair openly admit they eventually want to be at the same club.

"It is common knowledge that my son Nathan and I have acknowledged our desire to work together at some time. That remains the case."

@Tacky breathes a sigh of relief.

Meh

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ivan Cleary isn't a great liar.

The press conference was laughable.

No one believed him.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cleary is the most overrated coach in the game.. does he think he is Belamy buying all the dead wood from other teams?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I still think he will go to the Panthers next year.....because the Tigers signed Mbye there is no chance of Nathan going there.........I know both have contracts but hey; just what are they worth after we saw the goings on this year.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Cleary is the most overrated coach in the game.. does he think he is Belamy buying all the dead wood from other teams?
Just a thought. If we did snare Cleary over Pay, would we have finished higher on the ladder and would he have blooded the likes of Lewis and Martin. I doubt it.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just a thought. If we did snare Cleary over Pay, would we have finished higher on the ladder and would he have blooded the likes of Lewis and Martin. I doubt it.
He thinks Mbye is a good player so we'd be stuck with him... but nah, with nothing decent in the halves for almost an entire season even Bellyache would have struggled to get us any higher

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaks volumes of the times we live in where a coach/player sticks to their contract and it’s a newsworthy article

Berries

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
This bloke isn’t really that good to have this much interest.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
My info was spot on looks like ivan signing with panthers

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
From 2021 for 3 years.

Not sure how they are able to do that one given he's a contracted coach with Tigers till then.
Yep but i was told it was 100% he was going there obviously with all the hysteria they had to pull back for a bit but obviously now they are trying to force wests hand

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
My info was spot on looks like ivan signing with panthers
The tigers should work out a deal to cut him loose ASAP. Who wants a coach who is more interested in coaching a different club? It is hard to imagine he will do the best by the Tigers in the next couple of seasons knowing he is going to Penrith.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The tigers should work out a deal to cut him loose ASAP. Who wants a coach who is more interested in coaching a different club? It is hard to imagine he will do the best by the Tigers in the next couple of seasons knowing he is going to Penrith.
Agreed and a swap wouldnt be so bad ciraldo seems pretty good

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
The whole Cleary circus that's going on is just annoying. Sick of hearing about it to be honest.

Ivan = Overrated coach

Nathan = Overrated player

Status
Not open for further replies.