HAS KLEMMER FOUND A NEW BASH BROTHER?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/93dd708af351ebe16208a3954e11bfea

Ofahiki Ogden’s calming halftime advice from the unlikeliest source

AUGUST 09, 2018ITS the blossoming relationship between a fiery enforcer and a rookie who likes to smash blokes.

Could David Klemmer and Ofahiki Ogden become Canterburys newest bash brothers?

Rising forward Ogden told The Daily Telegraph about a quiet exchange between the two at halftime during Thursday nights game against Brisbane, giving an insight into their budding bond.

Coming off the bench, especially in the first half, I thought I was trying to do too much and when I went into the changing rooms for the second half Klemmer had a chat with me, Ogden said.

He told me to just worry about what I have to do.

Do my little bit for the team and I thought I came out in the second half and played a lot better after that.

Klemmers advice was simple but effective, Ogden was only used by coach Dean Pay for around 20 minutes on Thursday night but he ran for an impressive 80 metres in that time.

His advice to me was to do what I do best, run as hard as I could and tackle, that all I have to do is my bit and that will help everyone else. I was a bit too pumped, I needed to calm down and play my game.

The Mangere East Hawks junior says he has a particularly close friendship with teammate Greg Eastwood and looks to him as a mentor type figure.

But with Eastwood looking for another club for 2019, Ogden says Klemmer has taken him under his wing in more recent times.

He was my roomy when I first debuted this year [against the Knights] and my relationship with Klem is getting better each week. Hes someone I can turn too, he said.

The Blues forward missed Thursdays match after he was slapped with a suspension for making dangerous contact former teammate Moses Mbye against the Tigers.

Without Klemmer, the Bulldogs were hardly rated a chance against a Broncos side vying for a spot in the top four finish.

But Ogden says knocking off the Tigers the week before had instilled a renewed sense of belief in his side

We didnt look at it in the way, they we didnt have a chance. We knew we had been playing some good footy, getting the win the week before gave us the confidence we needed to into the Broncos game. Even if we didnt have Klemmer, we knew we still had a strong team, he said.

He also revealed Pay had reinforced the importance of the entire team lifting in the absence of Klemmer and the Dogs pack did exactly that, running over their more fancied opposition through the middle.

Dean was talking about stepping up, not just the forwards but everyone stepping up really and that everyone needed to improve on last weeks performance, he said.

Playmaker Jeremy Marshall-King was a late withdrawal on Thursday night after coming down with a virus the day before the match but will line-up against Manly this weekend.

Klemmer return to the starting side after serving his one match ban with Danny Fualalo returning to the bench.

Forward Clay Priest, who is struggling with an elbow injury, wasnt named.

I would like to see him play a bit more minutes....

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Kid was real bad in the first half, redeemed himself a bit though. Would like to see Renouf get another run also.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah i didnt think Tolman would be part of anything thats sounds like Smash Bros

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
re Bash bros - in the 70s or 80s the Dogs had a front rower whose name was Basham. Mick Basham mainly played reserve grade but did play a bit of first grade. Don't know if he had a brother.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Has he smashed anyone yet?

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He seems like he has his head screwed on right and he is developing nicely. Would like to see To'omaga get another run.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Cool story lol .. love it!!!

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he give oats a good shot over the top last week, albeit someone had already slowed oats down with a low tackle.....
Chris Smith seems to be the guy hunting a big hit.
Yeh Smith looks keen to get in the thick of things
Makes him a good candidate to be a smash bro

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He seems like he has his head screwed on right and he is developing nicely. Would like to see To'omaga get another run.
I think the backend of the year is the perfect opportunity to get included To’omaga in the side.

Sure He needs some development which he won’t get in Reggie’s. If he can get a few 1st Grade games under his belt when they don’t mean much. He could only benefit from it.

Similar to Ogden if he just does his job. Doesn’t get caught up in the hype and try to hard. He could become a very handy player for us.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Ogden, Smith, To'omaga, Fualalo ... we've got some good younger talent coming through in the engine room amongst the experienced minds of Klemmer and Tolman.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ogden, Smith, To'omaga, Fualalo ... we've got some good younger talent coming through in the engine room amongst the experienced minds of Klemmer and Tolman.
Add young Kalache coming through... His footy reminds me of Ogre.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ogden might want to learn how to defend on the try line before worrying about becoming a "bash brother"
More worried about his fitness more than anything, his like a truck engine on ethanol. Struggled in reggies and obviously struggled a bit in 1st grade but considering his creeping upwards in his game time is encouraging.

Robert61

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
re Bash bros - in the 70s or 80s the Dogs had a front rower whose name was Basham. Mick Basham mainly played reserve grade but did play a bit of first grade. Don't know if he had a brother.
There was another one that comes to mind too Jeff Robinson who played well above his weight and tore opposition forwards to shreds week after week. so feared was that pack with him in it, opposition forwards would go awol in games just to avoid being hit by the dogs tough packs. Now I know that was a different era and rules have changed but wow the excitement of seeing dogs packs drive the other side back to their try line by massive hits and defence and then it was time for the backs to do the job after the forwards had worn other sides down. Rugby league is a fundamental game, play it hard and tough but fair and the results will come.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol Ogden. How about you convince us you are a regular 1st grader before you go out in the press and spruke crap. Based on today you haven't convinced me.

Status
Not open for further replies.