The Smarts of a Genuine Halfback

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If you have a look at that El Masri clip on the Dogs website where he scored 4 tries against the tigers, just have a look at Sherwin’s intercept that led to one of El Masri’s tries off the scrum. I know it’s probably not a big thing but says a lot. Instead of just running straight and not knowing what to do, Sherwin was patient and drifted right waiting for El Masri to come on the inside and put him away. Not so much a big play but just goes to show you what a good half and good vision and temperament a half back needs. We lack that now!

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Matt Frawley is actually quite an intelligent half.. it's just a pity he hasn't been able to reproduce junior form in first grade... or maybe our spine is tainted because we haven't seen decent attack on a consistent basis for a looooong time

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Quality halves is our single biggest problem, but people choose to over look that and blame everything and everyone else..

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quality halves is our single biggest problem, but people choose to over look that and blame everything and everyone else..
Has been our biggest problem since kimmorley i'd say. Outside his field goals and goal kicking i don't even think hodkinson was what we needed

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Banana kicks out wide that actually curved.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Call me crazy - but Kris Keating was the perfect foil for our team in 2012. We just needed a little organisation, the off-the-cuff outside running of Reynolds, and Barba chiming into the backline.

But if you want to talk out and out HB's - then yes, we haven't really had a decent one since Noddy.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I honestly believe Hasler coached the attack out of Frawley to the point it ruined his natural attacking abilities for life.

Preseason game 2017 against Storm, he had a blinder once he came on, at 1 stage putting in a cross field chip kick, ran the ball to the line, played what was in front of him. I was genuinely excited.
1st FG game against Broncos he helped us win, and then Hasler killed his confidence.
He did that with Cook, 1st game he killed it with his runs against Newcastle then he told him no more running.
Hasler ruined many a player with his tactics and I think the majority of players we still have who played under Hasler are still affected with his mentality

I loved Sherwin, they dont make halves like him these days

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Call me crazy - but Kris Keating was the perfect foil for our team in 2012. We just needed a little organisation, the off-the-cuff outside running of Reynolds, and Barba chiming into the backline.

But if you want to talk out and out HB's - then yes, we haven't really had a decent one since Noddy.
I agree mate, your not loco lol Kris Keating was a great little player, very deceptive and quick to Put plays on.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I honestly believe Hasler coached the attack out of Frawley to the point it ruined his natural attacking abilities for life.

Preseason game 2017 against Storm, he had a blinder once he came on, at 1 stage putting in a cross field chip kick, ran the ball to the line, played what was in front of him. I was genuinely excited.
1st FG game against Broncos he helped us win, and then Hasler killed his confidence.
He did that with Cook, 1st game he killed it with his runs against Newcastle then he told him no more running.
Hasler ruined many a player with his tactics and I think the majority of players we still have who played under Hasler are still affected with his mentality

I loved Sherwin, they dont make halves like him these days
I agree mate, your not loco lol Kris Keating was a great little player, very deceptive and quick to Put plays on.
Gus Gould was firmly of the opinion that halves are not made like they are used too. He has touted for a "Halves only" academy or school for footballers.

Far too much structure in the game these days. You will never ever see a team score 900 points in a season, let alone 700. Only 2 teams have cracked 600 points in a season in the last 5 years, and largely, it is due to the genuinely stale manner in which sides attack. And it starts with the 7

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kris Keating was a weapon and brought great value during his time with us. Dean needs to fuck the dinosaur structures off and give Lachy and JMK a license to play some footy, because if I see Tolman and Klemmer getting all the red zone ball tonight, I'm switching off.. probably

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Because in 2012 we had a proper coach that developed an effective system that our players could execute.

Can't help but feel some people think a couple of roster changes will make a huge difference to our side in the future. Still need a good coach to nail the basics of the system so the players around the key players are always doing the right things. You can't just play footy off the top of your head anymore.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem is halves now stick to one side of the field, are to structured and just work off stats and will not try off the cuff plays in fear of being dropped. Frawley plays exclusively on the left, tems figure this and put good back row defenders on them (Luke Lewis for example studies halves to know to hangback/go in etc) all the great halves play on both sides mix it up, even Cronk who you can say is kind of 'robotic' will still mix it up playing on the left on occasions and mixing it up, having a 5/8 who is solid also is a help look at Keary and Cronk now they are really dangerous! Marshall and Brooks etc etc

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Agreed. Although he was bagged mercilessly by The Kennel for many years.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
If you have a look at that El Masri clip on the Dogs website where he scored 4 tries against the tigers, just have a look at Sherwin’s intercept that led to one of El Masri’s tries off the scrum. I know it’s probably not a big thing but says a lot. Instead of just running straight and not knowing what to do, Sherwin was patient and drifted right waiting for El Masri to come on the inside and put him away. Not so much a big play but just goes to show you what a good half and good vision and temperament a half back needs. We lack that now!
Its a bit of a captain obvious moment lol. I wouldnt expect 2 junior halves with single digit fg games to emulate Sherwin, who was a premiership winning half.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Matt Frawley is actually quite an intelligent half..
Your honor the defence would like to play the clip of this years NSW Cup game where Matt Frawley only needed to kick the ball dead in the dieing minute of the game, and instead kicked straight into a player who ran 80m to score under the posts and seal the win for the opposition.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus Gould was firmly of the opinion that halves are not made like they are used too. He has touted for a "Halves only" academy or school for footballers.

Far too much structure in the game these days. You will never ever see a team score 900 points in a season, let alone 700. Only 2 teams have cracked 600 points in a season in the last 5 years, and largely, it is due to the genuinely stale manner in which sides attack. And it starts with the 7
Actually it all starts with the 9
The nine begins the tempo with speed of dummy half , the 9 is the one that distributes it to either side of the ruck.

Also with the dogs , you can see the correlation of how bad they are with th departure or Ennis and replacement of Lichaa. The team has been absolute crap ever since .

The dogs have had many years with ordinary halves ho have stepped up and played like champs. However for as long as I remember , Lichaa is the first ordinary hooker in like 20-30 years, always had champs in that position

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Its a bit of a captain obvious moment lol. I wouldnt expect 2 junior halves with single digit fg games to emulate Sherwin, who was a premiership winning half.
But difference is Sherwin was doing that ever since he was in the juniors and harold matthews under 15 side all the way through to his FG career. Our current halves will never ever ever even after 600 games be anywhere near the player Sherwin was

Status
Not open for further replies.