Warren McDonnell

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who are they mate?
Missing from the VIC teams is Jordin Leiu, Anzac Leavai, Tevita Ofahengaue and a few others. Not sure where they will end up though.

Missing from the Magpies is Rua Ngatikuara.

Last year's Summer Squads were released in 4 days time, so the wait should be over soon.

Edit: Looks like none of the aforementioned players are with the Bulldogs.

Last edited:

zac hollywood

Waterboy
Reaction score
is the rumour I'm hearing at the syd shield true that McDonnell is to be sacked big fallout over losing the bulldogs top juniors and the whisper is the 20s coach gone as well can anyone confirm

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
is the rumour I'm hearing at the syd shield true that McDonnell is to be sacked big fallout over losing the bulldogs top juniors and the whisper is the 20s coach gone as well can anyone confirm
There was a rumour that Tommy Talau, Jake Averillo and another have signed with other clubs from a week or so ago.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Brad Henderson gone? Hmm that would suck as he's got the team playing quite well.

If we lose McDonnell then I wonder who we have lined up to replace him? Maybe the Mark Hughes rumour was correct?

Hughes and Chris Anderson together handling recruitment alongside local talent scouts.?!?!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If that's the case... so much for the new board talking about concentrating on our juniors.

3 excellent young upcoming prospects gone....

zac hollywood

Waterboy
Reaction score
At the weekend one of our sydny shield players told me tommy talau and logen dillion signed with wests tigers and jake averillo with Parramatta. he said talau was being chased by tigers and storm and Dillon by rabbits, roosters, parra and tigers. he said averillo isn't happy about where he is playing at the dogs (centres I think). I would say this player would know, he has been up and down from shield to flegg afew times this year.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Were these guys meant to be our best young prospects?

zac hollywood

Waterboy
Reaction score
I think talau just made Australian schoolboys and is a really tough hard competitive type player, won best & fairest for sgball this year, dillon was sgball leading try scorer, top 3 in tackle busts, metres gained and try assists in the whole comp, and averillo was second in sgball leading point scorer, after missing 3 games I think. these 3 I would say is 90% the reason why we made sgball grand final.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
So we hired McDonnell from Wests in a bid to get the best junior systems.. now we lose our 3 best prospects to Wests... makes so much sense lol

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So we hired McDonnell from Wests in a bid to get the best junior systems.. now we lose our 3 best prospects to Wests... makes so much sense lol
I don’t think it makes sense to get rid of Mcdonell if true. How long has he been here? Start of last year or this year?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think talau just made Australian schoolboys and is a really tough hard competitive type player, won best & fairest for sgball this year, dillon was sgball leading try scorer, top 3 in tackle busts, metres gained and try assists in the whole comp, and averillo was second in sgball leading point scorer, after missing 3 games I think. these 3 I would say is 90% the reason why we made sgball grand final.
Not good to see then leave then, thought the club was meant to have its shit sorted by now.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just confirms what I have been saying for a while. The lower grade coaches are just not cutting it.
There has been no significant development of any of those players. Its time to drain the lower grade coaching swamp.
I would still like Michael Potter to come here in a coaching role.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Just confirms what I have been saying for a while. The lower grade coaches are just not cutting it.
There has been no significant development of any of those players. Its time to drain the lower grade coaching swamp.
But they were and there was. Dillon, Averillo and Talau were good prospects for the future.

At least (hopefully) we have still retained the likes of Harding, and the Fuatimau brothers.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Im guessing Talau is the son of Willie?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So we're signing young players from other clubs who aren't those clubs best prospects but we're losing our own best prospects to other clubs?

I'm furious if this is true as our only hope for the future is if we unearth and promote from within. I thought the new board and CEO had been preaching the same?

Unless all three got Karl Filiga/Aiden Sezer type money before playing FG, then there is no excuse to lose any of these players, especially not all three!

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we're signing young players from other clubs who aren't those clubs best prospects but we're losing our own best prospects to other clubs?

I'm furious if this is true as our only hope for the future is if we unearth and promote from within. I thought the new board and CEO had been preaching the same?

Unless all three got Karl Filiga/Aiden Sezer type money before playing FG, then there is no excuse to lose any of these players, especially not all three!
Well said mate. No good for anderson to say they are looking for the best talents everywherw when they cannot keep what we already have. May be thats why someone got the sack. Assuming all these are true

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Tigers probably put them on development contracts. We might not have offered that.

Life_of_League

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Apparently they were offered more money so that’s why they went. You’d think losing top players would make them want to stay and go through the ranks a bit faster than going to a club that have other players lining up

zac hollywood

Waterboy
Reaction score
actually that's not what I was told on the weekend apparently what happened was mcdonnell bought across a few kids from wests last year harding, valevatu, etc and looked after them pretty good and didn't tie up the local kids cause he thought they would just hang around for nothing, and the local kids were far better players and future prospects than guys he bought over. I was told he pushed for certain blokes who are "spastics"" according to the player who told me on the weekend, also heard hughes and patmore were absolutely filthy that these blokes weren't tied up by mcdonnell, same player told me all three should have been playing flegg as soon as sgball finished said they are better then the players in the flegg side. this could be true or just an unhappy player spinning shit but that's what i was told on sunday

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
actually that's not what I was told on the weekend apparently what happened was mcdonnell bought across a few kids from wests last year harding, valevatu, etc and looked after them pretty good and didn't tie up the local kids cause he thought they would just hang around for nothing, and the local kids were far better players and future prospects than guys he bought over. I was told he pushed for certain blokes who are "spastics"" according to the player who told me on the weekend, also heard hughes and patmore were absolutely filthy that these blokes weren't tied up by mcdonnell, same player told me all three should have been playing flegg as soon as sgball finished said they are better then the players in the flegg side. this could be true or just an unhappy player spinning shit but that's what i was told on sunday
Pretty sure i have heard similar stories from his time at the Tigers...pushing for certain players over clearly more talented ones because of personal relationships. If true, hopefully he's gone and we bring in someone better.