Marshall-King on a high despite Bulldogs' horror season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Canterbury's finals hopes are buried but Bulldogs playmaker Jeremy Marshall-King is relishing his first full NRL season.

The mid-year loss of fan favourite Moses Mbye to the Wests Tigers, Aaron Woods shifting to Cronulla last month and Kieran Foran sidelined with a season-ending injury has compounded a 4-12 record.

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay has blooded five players to offset the loss of three seasoned campaigners and Marshall-King and Lachlan Lewis have shown promise in the halves over the past fortnight.

Marshall-King told NRL.com the threat of the club's first wooden spoon in a decade had not been spoken about as he was personally enjoying the season.

"We're not travelling well but for some of the inexperienced players it has been an awesome ride," Marshall-King said.

"No doubt it has been a tough year overall but for guys like myself, Lachie and Rhyse Martin we've been able to make our way into the side and hopefully stay.

"Everyone at the club has been welcoming and we haven't dropped our heads. The senior players have rallied around us and are pushing us to keep playing for our family, friends and the fans.

Bulldogs playmaker Jeremy Marshall-King.©Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos

The Bulldogs will welcome Newcastle recruit Jack Cogger next season, while his Knights teammate Nick Meaney has joined the club and will make his NRL debut against Parramatta on Friday night.

Despite settling in at halfback for the time being, Marshall-King insists he is not threatened by the addition of Cogger, with his versatility value set to be his biggest strength.

The 22-year-old has floated between five-eighth, halfback and hooker in 2018 after coming off the bench in his opening two games at the club.

"I'm not too worried about Jack coming next year, he's a good player and will bring a lot to the team," Marshall-King said.

"I've learnt a lot about my role this year. I've been able to play in every game and can fill in to play a few positions. That can only help me for next season."

Canterbury inexcusably let a 14-point lead slip in six minutes against Canberra at Belmore last Saturday – a steep learning curve for the players on how to close out the game.

"Deano wasn't too happy about it," Marshall-King said of the 32-28 loss.

"We just fell asleep and couldn't hold them out. It was one we had won until the last seconds. We'll take a lot of confidence into this week but have also rued what could've been.

"We want to show some pride in the jersey for the rest of the season and give the side something to build on heading into next year."

Bulldogs prop David Klemmer will be given until Friday to prove his fitness following Origin III.

Klemmer was cited for a grade one dangerous contact charge on Queensland's Ben Hunt but can escape with a fine.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/13...gh-despite-canterbury-bulldogs-horror-season/

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fan favourite Mbye... nearly fell off my chair

JMK is a hard worker and his attack has improved since partnering the Prince

Reactions: DT

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
jmk will need to improve for at least 1.5 years remember the lichaa contract, sorry doesnt help

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He can defend, the rest will follow. Same with Lewis.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
While JMK hasn’t been super outstanding or set the world on fire.. I think he’s had a pretty decent season in his 1st year of FG..

He’s has great defence for a small bloke, puts his body on the line an he does put in 100%. Since he has paired with the PRINCE his game has improved an he’s starting to build nicely.!!!

Will be good to see how he improves from now an into next year.. he was given an shot an has taken it with both hands an I applaud him for his effort.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He seems to be developing quite nicely. I still think he's a utility atm though

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’d also be on a high if I was an average player somehow making the first grade lineup every week

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good luck to the kid but Im more excited at Lacklan Lewis as a good prospect..

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Guys whats your perception on JMK in terms of his development, general attributes and playing ability. Will he turn into a great half or a utility?

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Guys whats your perception on JMK in terms of his development, general attributes and playing ability. Will he turn into a great half or a utility?
He has a long way to go to be considered a half back but he could make a great utility for mine. I would love it if he turned out to be another Benji but that would be asking too much. :grinning:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He has a long way to go to be considered a half back but he could make a great utility for mine. I would love it if he turned out to be another Benji but that would be asking too much. :grinning:
I like the kid. His not the fanciest but his an honourable hard working kid that tries hard every week for himself and the team.

He will make a fantastic utility next yr. If he and Okunbor can make the bench next yr were good for backups in case of injuries.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is a centre in my mind. Pay should experiment with him there.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So glad mbye is gone, listening to his dribble, getting paid enormous dollRs to be sub average, tigers will see how inconsistent he is, jmk is a honest player and is improving, doesn’t act his size he tackles all he can

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Solid defense, doesn’t stay down when hit, his cover defense has been impressive just want to see him do more in attack

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I know his kicking game isn't great....to say the least.
But I think he has been good, especially for a guy on minimum wage.
Think he is a 9 or utility however not a halfback.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the kid. His not the fanciest but his an honourable hard working kid that tries hard every week for himself and the team.

He will make a fantastic utility next yr. If he and Okunbor can make the bench next yr were good for backups in case of injuries.
Reminds me of craig polla mounter tough as all fuck

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He is a centre in my mind. Pay should experiment with him there.
I reckon he could slot anywhere in the backline... Centre maybe a good position for him though he struggles to break tackles.

Status
Not open for further replies.