Turning Point - One poor decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
For me there was one pivotal moment which cost us the game.

The time was 72:27, so 8 minutes 33 seconds left in the game.
We get a penalty on Raiders 15m line.
The score is 26-14 at the time.

OPTION 1 - Take a shot for goal, walk back to the half way line for a kickoff. This was the option we took, and lost the ball during the kickoff.

OPTION 2 - Opt for the tap, try and a try. Doing so would easily have wasted another 1-2 minutes for a set (if not more if we get a repeat even more). If we don't score, get a repeat set and wind down the clock.

OPTION 3 - Opt for the tap, try and a try. Doing so would easily have wasted another 1-2 minutes for a set (if not more if we get a repeat even more). If we don't score, on 5th nail a field goal, go 13 points ahead, and wind the clock down with a restart and another set for us from kick off.

OPTION 4 - Opt for the tap, try and a try. Doing so would easily have wasted another 1-2 minutes for a set (if not more if we get a repeat even more). If we don't score, nail the ball into touch on the 5th forcing a scrum, then muscle up in defence.

For me we made the wrong call for the penalty. It got them another minute easily as they got the ball straight back.

Considering that Raiders scored 3 tries in those 8 minutes and 33, it would have won us the game with another option.

Perhaps the Dogs will think next time and be smarter. Don't just think of the points but rather where we are in the game. I'm sure other coaches and smart captains would have picked up on the time and run it down.

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any option was good as long as you don't watch them running at you taking backwards steps in defence

Reactions: DT

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

OPTION 1 - Take a shot for goal, walk back to the half way line for a kickoff. This was the option we took, and lost the ball during the kickoff.

OPTION 2 - Opt for the tap, try and a try. Doing so would easily have wasted another 1-2 minutes for a set (if not more if we get a repeat even more). If we don't score, get a repeat set and wind down the clock.

OPTION 3 - Opt for the tap, try and a try. Doing so would easily have wasted another 1-2 minutes for a set (if not more if we get a repeat even more). If we don't score, on 5th nail a field goal, go 13 points ahead, and wind the clock down with a restart and another set for us from kick off.

OPTION 4 - Opt for the tap, try and a try. Doing so would easily have wasted another 1-2 minutes for a set (if not more if we get a repeat even more). If we don't score, nail the ball into touch on the 5th forcing a scrum, then muscle up in defence.

For me we made the wrong call for the penalty. It got them another minute easily as they got the ball straight back.

Considering that Raiders scored 3 tries in those 8 minutes and 33, it would have won us the game with another option.

Perhaps the Dogs will think next time and be smarter. Don't just think of the points but rather where we are in the game. I'm sure other coaches and smart captains would have picked up on the time and run it down.
It was correct decision. We should of won when leading by 14 and 7mins to go. No excuses.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I was screaming take the tap, personally, but understand why with a sharp shooter we took the points.

What shits me to tears, is that on the subsequent kick off we don’t seem prepared for the short kick off...

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ive been saying for most of this year, that the team lacks a good leader. JJ is a wonderful player, but he doesnt cut it as a tactical skipper.
I fully realise that there is not a great pool of potential skippers in waiting, but that is what is needed.
A competent skipper could have closed out that game.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Option 1, 2, 3, and 4 we should have defended better !
Holand...Might be a nice bloke but can't defend if life depended on it, he isn't a first grader.
Lichaa...His choices in attack are questionable, at best he is a bench player.
Otherwise a very proud effort by the boys...Well done !

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Ive been saying for most of this year, that the team lacks a good leader. JJ is a wonderful player, but he doesnt cut it as a tactical skipper.
I fully realise that there is not a great pool of potential skippers in waiting, but that is what is needed.
A competent skipper could have closed out that game.
It’s also the job of the halves, and hooker, if you’ve got a decent one.

JMK amd Lichaa couldn’t organise a chicken burger in a KFC.

Lewis looks to be a natural organiser - so far.

Having said that, it was missed tackles that cost the game last night.

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Besides when they stripped the ball he had a great game last night.

Only bad player was

HOLLAND!!!
Had a great game ?? How many times does he not know which side of the ruck he is passing to ? Does that shitty pirouette then dies with the ball or passes to one of our many lifeless hacks. Holland is beyond shit , the fact he is ahead of Olive is a disgrace he is a junk footballer .

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think taking the 2 was the right thing at the time. If the boys hold on in defence and the last try isn't scored we win by 2 points. It would have been the difference to going to golden point or not.

In the last 10 minutes we did a Canberra Faders, still can't get over that.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The turning point started with the injury to their FB, gained momentum when Austin came on and seemed to have spiders on him because no one wanted to tackle him and the icing on the cake was Lichaa getting stripped of the ball with 3 to go on the 1st tackle when every man and his dog knew the strip was on.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Correct choice , 14 point buffer
We should of won easy
Abbey gets injured n dogs clock off
As much as they did play well last night it still Leeds to our weakest area of our game. Our right side defence. I have always said that Pay should be given a go and still think that but he needs to fix the leaks. We have lost to many games leaking points on our right side. I believe our problem is before it gets to Holland. If his not going to fix it we need to score at least 40 points a game to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.