Real reason of letting players go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
After Andrew Hill assured everyone at the fan forum that the salary cap problem was not as bad as reported, why is it that we keep hearing that players are still shopped around?

Is it that the salary cap fiasco is indeed still a big problem and we need to shed players just to stay compliant? Or is it that Dean Pay and the recruitment team know that this squad is useless and we need to inject players into it and therefore we need more wiggle room in the cap immediately and cannot wait till 2021 as indicated earlier.

So if we let go of say Mbye and Woods what are they planning? We need a half/hooker desperately. They have to be the first positions looked at. But releasing Woods for example may piss Klemmer off. Then we also would need a fullback to replace Mbye?

Is it better just to go the whole hog and try and offload all bar Jackson and Klemmer and start from scratch?

Whatever their intentions on selling our players are, we look like we will be paying for a lot of talent running around in other teams.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think the club just wants to get out of the Mbye contract that pays $900k for a player still living on potential, that deal is a poisoned chalice around our necks until its gone.

Woods and Mbye would be a combined $1.5 million wouldn't you say? I don't think there could be a worse use for that money. They are not bad players but not worth anywhere near that amount.

I would use the money to completely rid the club of any backended deals so we have a even salary cap again. Then look at players to bring in because there's not that much to get excited about on the open market.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would go mbye, Foran, woods, tolman. For arguments sake if you end up with 2 million in the cap then pick up the best fullback that hasn’t played first grade. Gamble on them hoping they come good. You get a half back. And then get a few firebrand front rowers.

Ok you will never compete for a grand final but we won’t now anyways. But at the moment we have no line speed, no attack, no mongrel. And our ladder position could only improve. Because we literally only have deadwood.

Ok Those players mentioned aren’t even the worst in the team. But you can’t justify the money they are on.

If mbye signed for 500-600k like he was worth then he could be persisted with at fullback or tried at hooker. But you can’t pay superstar money and end up with a rookie spine player.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe Pay wants to build his own team, at least that is what I hope is going on. He has inherited an absolute shambles, no money, crap players on too much coin and most people contracted long term.

I would say Pay and the club will entertain any serious offers on just about any player to start the rebuilding ball rolling. Everyone must know this year is already over, and next year is already over as well so we might as well start the reshuffling asap.

I think we should offload any player who gets a decent offer, excluding Klemmer and Jackson. The "decent offer" part is important too because if we just end up offloading a bunch of players but are still paying half their salaries, that isn't going to fix anything.

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Maybe Pay wants to build his own team, at least that is what I hope is going on. He has inherited an absolute shambles, no money, crap players on too much coin and most people contracted long term.

I would say Pay and the club will entertain any serious offers on just about any player to start the rebuilding ball rolling. Everyone must know this year is already over, and next year is already over as well so we might as well start the reshuffling asap.

I think we should offload any player who gets a decent offer, excluding Klemmer and Jackson. The "decent offer" part is important too because if we just end up offloading a bunch of players but are still paying half their salaries, that isn't going to fix anything.
Correct. That is the key. The amount we are offloading. It is pointless to be paying $300k of Mbye's salary. By the time you get a decent replacement you are back at square one. We have to somehow release players on close to their contract amounts. The reason that will be hard is that other clubs are like vultures and will only entertain a bargain buy from our squad. They know we are desperate, and a desperate seller is a sitting shot for any buyer.

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
After Andrew Hill assured everyone at the fan forum that the salary cap problem was not as bad as reported, why is it that we keep hearing that players are still shopped around?

Is it that the salary cap fiasco is indeed still a big problem and we need to shed players just to stay compliant? Or is it that Dean Pay and the recruitment team know that this squad is useless and we need to inject players into it and therefore we need more wiggle room in the cap immediately and cannot wait till 2021 as indicated earlier.

So if we let go of say Mbye and Woods what are they planning? We need a half/hooker desperately. They have to be the first positions looked at. But releasing Woods for example may piss Klemmer off. Then we also would need a fullback to replace Mbye?

Is it better just to go the whole hog and try and offload all bar Jackson and Klemmer and start from scratch?

Whatever their intentions on selling our players are, we look like we will be paying for a lot of talent running around in other teams.

These players are way over paid and heavily back ended so it makes sense to clear out the decks this year if you could and suffer another season like this year next year ..
Keeping these players only restricts and slows down our rebuilding ..

Listening to press press conference and reading between the lines , he wants to build the team around Klemmer and Jackson

Woods, Mbye, Eastwood , Tolman , Morris bro and if any takers on Foran is a lot of cheddar we’re letting go and personally I would rather see a talented group of youngsters who have a go than some very over priced over rated players we have right now dish up the crap we’ve witnessed last few yrs

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we can work with what we have. The issue is the balance within the squad for the cap is terrible.

Releasing players that we have multiple similar options makes sense.

NOT however at the expense of still paying huge portions of their cap dollars to play for someone else.

As long as the other club pays the full freight or very close to it. Otherwise don’t do it.

All players are available. We are in a deep hole, with a long rebuild. The sooner we hit rock bottom. The quicker we can get back being great again.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I don't care about us offloading players, as long as it's a 100% take over or re-contract.

Releasing players without someone better lined up AND paying part of their salary is completely ridiculous given Hill has stated we are cap compliant those years anyway.

I'd still be keen to know what the previous mobs plans were and if we'd still be in the same situation we are now, if they were at the helm.

It almost feels like something major has changed and forced this shift, but nobody is talking about the real reason.

Could the loss of TPAs rumour be true?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't care about us offloading players, as long as it's a 100% take over or re-contract.

Releasing players without someone better lined up AND paying part of their salary is completely ridiculous given Hill has stated we are cap compliant those years anyway.

I'd still be keen to know what the previous mobs plans were and if we'd still be in the same situation we are now, if they were at the helm.

It almost feels like something major has changed and forced this shift, but nobody is talking about the real reason.

Now it’s rumour? You were telling all and sundry it was fact a few weeks ago! The old board would have just continued to back load deals and never faced the realty of situation.

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Are you fricken kidding?

The previous mob didn't have a plan!

They were just making decisions that best suited them not being ousted. A self interest policy that has set us back 10 years.

I'll tell you the real reason we are Fukked. There are three reasons. First one is Hasler. Second one is Castle. Third one is Dib.

As for missing TPA's, how many could we have had in the first place? We were in serious cap trouble this time last year when the previous mob were in full control. We had to let go of Kasiano and Graham just to get under for this year. Where were the TPA's then?

Why don't you ever admit that Dib and his crew completely ass fukked our club and have got away with it lightly. Cannot believe that he is still on the NSW rugby league club board.

Last edited:

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Are you fricken kidding?

The previous mob didn't have a plan!

They were just making decisions that best suited them not being ousted. A self interest policy that has set us back 10 years.

I'll tell you the real reason we are Fukked. There are three reasons. First one is Hasler. Second one is Castle. Third one is Dib.

As for missing TPA's, how many could we have had in the first place? We were in serious cap trouble this time last year when the previous mob were in full control. We had to let go of Kasiano and Graham just to get under for this year. Where were the TPA's then?

Why don't you ever admit that Dib and his crew completely ass fukked our club and have got away with it lightly. Cannot believe that piece of shit is still on the NSW rugby league club board.
When you guys talk of Dib do you mean the previous board or Dib alone.. he was chairman, doesnt the board need to tick things off?

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
When you guys talk of Dib do you mean the previous board or Dib alone.. he was chairman, doesnt the board need to tick things off?
Yes you might be right. But I think it got to the stage that Dib wanted to become Politis and be the "man" at the Bulldogs. The board ended up as yes men. Hence why they were thrown out.

It got to the stage that the public face of the Bulldogs became its chairman and not its CEO. That says a lot about both of them I guess.

The sad thing in all this is that I truly believe Dib loved the club whilst Castle and Hasler couldn't give two hoots about it.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Goodbye mbye.
Sad too see ya go fella!!
But..you don’t give a fuck about this club and the sooner your out the door and take the rest of the dead wood with ya the sooner we can play more positively,

Keep only who want to be here.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I really think we should get into Foran's ear about medically retiring. That will be the only way to recoup his wage without paying someone else a top up. But also let's face it, the bloke IS broken beyond repair anyway. Surely he would rather get his whole money and not risk his long term health any longer. Sad but the bloke is done and so is his body. There's close to a mil right there if we can do it.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People who think that other clubs will pay full freight for our overpaid hacks are delusional. We don't want to pay full freight cause we know they are overpaid and not worth the coin, so why would other clubs pay them what we were stupid to do in the first place...think about it!

If Woods is worth only $600K, why would another club pay him say $800K cause we were stupid and desperate to pay him $200K more than he's worth.
Same for Mbye....we were the only idiots to fork out $750K on a player with "potential " and nothing more.

Last edited:

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dib ticked off Foran & Woods.

The previous board did shit as they did not give a flying fuck.

It always went

1. Hasler
2. Dib
3. Castle

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
its reported Mbye is on close to $1 million next season with his backended contract if we have to pay $250,000 that still leaves plenty of cash in the bank

as for the previous boards plans its bloody easy to see there was none...…
release Rona while under contract, release Pritchard while under contract, release Graham while under contract, release Finucane while under contract, release Lee while under contract......and in all of Haslers time the only first grader we signed was She rex.....then before he left he signed a crippled Foran as a joke and Woods

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All we can do is guess and speculate. The board needs to come out and tell us fans what’s going on. I swear this year is becoming worse then last year and to think we couldn’t top off last year. If the board want respect then they should show us fans respect and let us know exactly wtf is going on. I don’t think any team in the comp has this many question marks over players then us.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
its reported Mbye is on close to $1 million next season with his backended contract if we have to pay $250,000 that still leaves plenty of cash in the bank

as for the previous boards plans its bloody easy to see there was none...…
release Rona while under contract, release Pritchard while under contract, release Graham while under contract, release Finucane while under contract, release Lee while under contract......and in all of Haslers time the only first grader we signed was She rex.....then before he left he signed a crippled Foran as a joke and Woods
It makes you question wtf was going on doesn’t it. I think des knew he was on the outer towards the back end of last year and signed these players to intentionally screw us..... no professional sport will sign foran on that money for that long with so many injuries. It just doesn’t make sense and where there’s smoke there’s usually fire

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
All we can do is guess and speculate. The board needs to come out and tell us fans what’s going on. I swear this year is becoming worse then last year and to think we couldn’t top off last year. If the board want respect then they should show us fans respect and let us know exactly wtf is going on. I don’t think any team in the comp has this many question marks over players then us.
The club have been very upfront and told us what’s going on. They aren’t going to come out and talk about specific contract negotiations.

Status
Not open for further replies.