Cap doesn't fit for Bulldogs but Pay upbeat about sore Foran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
As Canterbury officials prepare to inform members about their horrendous salary cap predicament for 2019, coach Dean Pay declared $3 million playmaker Kieran Foran would survive the rigours of this season and improve again next year.

Not for the first time this season Foran hobbled in back play and looked in pain during the dying moments of the Bulldogs' defeat to Brisbane last Friday after he picked up a fresh knock to his knee.

The Bulldogs big-money recruit admitted last month he had struggled with a bulging disc from the moment he entered first grade in 2009, as well as hamstring issues.

“Sometimes when I get out of bed I have to hobble to the bathroom,'' Foran said at the time.

Foran's problems come as Canterbury continue to confront a salary cap nightmare.

The Morris twins, Josh and Brett, have already conceded this year will be their last at Belmore as a result.

It is a mess Pay and the current board have inherited but are determined to work through.

Officials are expected to address some of the issues with members at a forum next week.

Pay said the cap drama had not proven a distraction with the playing group, who need a win on Friday against bitter western Sydney rivals - and one of Foran's former clubs - Parramatta.

As for Foran's physical fitness Pay said he would benefit from playing every week after a dreaded run with injuries before he arrived at Belmore.

"Foz has a few niggles here and there but he's no worse than the others,'' Pay told Fairfax Media on Tuesday night.

"It's been a while since he's put this many games together.

"He's got a knee issue there, which we're managing. He got a bang on it about a month ago.

"We worked hard on him and he's worked hard on himself. I think if he can get through this year, and get a full pre-season under his belt, he'll be better again next year.''

Foran stayed down for a brief moment in back play against North Queensland a few weeks ago before he soldiered on, and did likewise last Friday at Suncorp Stadium.

"He doesn't know how to play any other way," Pay said. "He's a tough kid and that's why I think he'll get through the year, have a good break, have a good pre-season and be a lot stronger again in 2019.

"All we can control is what we're doing here now. Next year's roster will be different to what it is this year.

"My job is to get the best out of this year, put the club first and come out the other side where we can get some money back and start to go forward again.''

Canterbury surrendered a lead against Penrith last Friday week, then watched Brisbane slot a penalty goal in the final minute to lose by two points in round nine.

Moses Mbye was sin-binned for making contact with Darius Boyd as he chased after a kick to try and score, which was one of the contentious calls that sparked Pay's post-match blow-up and subsequent $25,000 fine.

Mbye on Tuesday told Fairfax Media the referees ''probably got it right'' when he made minimal contact with Boyd.

Mbye said of Foran: "Everyone knows how tough he is. He doesn't leave anything out there and that's all you can ask from a player, especially a peer.

"He does overtime on his recovery to get right for the weekend. I'm sure he'll leave it all out there again on Friday.

Renouf To'omaga will make his debut off the bench for Clay Priest, who was rushed back too soon from an ankle injury, Pay said.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ca...-upbeat-about-sore-foran-20180508-p4zdzb.html

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanna know what the fuck parra and the warriors did to him.

He was alright at parra, still had that speed, but ever since he collected that shoulder injury, the mental issues and the warriors, the press seems adamant his busted and or broken. And it looks like it’s partially true.. a 28 year old Hobbling to the bathroom? Wtf?

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Far out.. we have conceded this year.. already thinking about next year. Blood the youngins then Pay if that’s how you are thinking. Olive and Ogden in.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Pay said I probably didn't do any favours rushing Greg Eastwood back with pretty much no off season under his belt. Then the bloke does the same thing with Clay Priest and says pretty much the same thing. What a dumb ****, anyways good to see Renouf To'omaga debut this week.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firstly, I have nothing against Foran. He plays harder than most and a fit and healthy Foran is an asset to our side. But I have to question the process of his signing by Hasler, Dib and Castle which knowing now was a total disgrace on a professional level.

In most professional sports before signing a player he/she will have to face a physical medical assessment. It was well known of Foran's pre-existing physical injurie's that were hindering him from being at the top of his game that would justify a million dollar contract.

Foran of late has openly admitted his struggles with a bulging disc which is a cause for concern and has to be managed every week. Now, if the result of a pre-existing injurie/s like Forans bulging discs, shoulder and knees were evident in a medical assessment prior to signing then how could they take the risk and pay him a million dollars a year for a player who has struggled to play a full season for the past few years?

I have no doubt that medical staff acknowledged his injuries but they were brushed aside which is nothing short of unprofessional operations from Hasler, Dib and Castle.

An absolute disgrace!!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't care if we can't go out and buy super stars every second year, as long as Pay fields a good seventeen and gets the best out of them it will benefit us in the long term.
Here's proof Castle couldn't add up.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We sign a player with major health concerns to a 4 year deal and on decent money. It's probably back ended too. Hasler has terrible judgement, another broken player he thought he could work miracles on.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Far out.. we have conceded this year.. already thinking about next year. Blood the youngins then Pay if that’s how you are thinking. Olive and Ogden in.
Exactly. That’s all I’m reading in every article I read. It’s all about next year! WTF?? What ever happened to playing nrl week in week out

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Pay said I probably didn't do any favours rushing Greg Eastwood back with pretty much no off season under his belt. Then the bloke does the same thing with Clay Priest and says pretty much the same thing. What a dumb ****, anyways good to see Renouf To'omaga debut this week.
Said the same thing, the bloke just doesn't fucking learn.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't care if we can't go out and buy super stars every second year, as long as Pay fields a good seventeen and gets the best out of them it will benefit us in the long term.
Here's proof Castle couldn't add up.
I agree with this.

He has been given a mess to sort out.

As long as he gets the most out of what he has to work with. I won’t complain.

I am still not convinced in some of his selections however.

He seems to slowly be getting there. But his reaction time to make changes needed is a worry.

The season is all but gone. We are going to see players leaving at seasons end. Let’s have a good look at our options. Work out who we should keep and who we should let go.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I wanna know what the fuck parra and the warriors did to him.

He was alright at parra, still had that speed, but ever since he collected that shoulder injury, the mental issues and the warriors, the press seems adamant his busted and or broken. And it looks like it’s partially true.. a 28 year old Hobbling to the bathroom? Wtf?
Nothing, he was fucked when he got there and will only get worse. Imagine paying $3m for this bloke, absolutely mental.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
WTF. Who negotiates these contracts? $3 million for a broken down player who has done fuck all past few seasons and had no one else chasing him. What a fucking joke

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
WTF. Who negotiates these contracts? $3 million for a broken down player who has done fuck all past few seasons and had no one else chasing him. What a fucking joke
I honestly think it is bullshit loyalty getting in the way of common sense.

Players should be paid based on how they will perform, they shouldn't just keep getting pay rises every year because they have shown loyalty. If a player doesn't want to get paid what he is worth (even if that involves a decrease in pay with age) then move them the fuck on. I don't care who it is.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hasler thought he could work miracles with him and probably that it would end up being a bargain. As you said no one else was chasing him and no one would be interested if he was on the open market today.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I think Foran was signed very cheap. It wasn't about the money, it was about not many clubs giving him a chance (or being the right place for him).

I also wonder if the club was intending to advise about the cap, or if this article just backed them into it.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant believe the shit Foran cops from his own teams fans. Even playing injured he is the best half we’ve had for years...
Woods has been ‘disappointing’ (ok i toned it down somewhat) but i think most on here forget that his strength is off loading in traffic, not the big settlers of some front rowers. He needs guys running off him in traffic or he looks like he has been, useless.
I believe the team we currently have running around is capable of winning games, we just haven’t been and thats the obvious problem.
Winning breeds confidence and confidence makes you better, simple as that.
Until we manage to string a couple of wins back to back it is going to be crap but thats all thanks to the past management/coaching staff...complete and utter rubbish.
We just have to stick by these guys and the coach or we end up getting worse and being a Parramatta or Tiger style club thats accepts mediocrity.
Stick by our team people, we dont have any other choice.
(And hope we never get Sutton again)

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Foran in his manly days looked like a completely different person...hes lost his balls

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant believe the shit Foran cops from his own teams fans. Even playing injured he is the best half we’ve had for years...
Woods has been ‘disappointing’ (ok i toned it down somewhat) but i think most on here forget that his strength is off loading in traffic, not the big settlers of some front rowers. He needs guys running off him in traffic or he looks like he has been, useless.
I believe the team we currently have running around is capable of winning games, we just haven’t been and thats the obvious problem.
Winning breeds confidence and confidence makes you better, simple as that.
Until we manage to string a couple of wins back to back it is going to be crap but thats all thanks to the past management/coaching staff...complete and utter rubbish.
We just have to stick by these guys and the coach or we end up getting worse and being a Parramatta or Tiger style club thats accepts mediocrity.
Stick by our team people, we dont have any other choice.
(And hope we never get Sutton again)
In all seriousness that is a ridiculous statement.

Foran is being paid $1m a season where he is probably worth $300k based on his physical outputs.

Noone is doubting Forans talent and toughness but the bloke is simply broken down and you will never get back to your top physical fitness after suffering multiple injuries.

Majority on here have the opinion that Moz bros. have lost there speed and are on their last legs, i agree, and no they will not get there 750k per season again. A reduced rate quiet possibly though even that is up for debate.

To say foran is better than what we have had in a long time on $1m per year playing on one leg and with one hand is absolutely ridiculous. Players are investments, and we sure as hell aint getting our monies worth for Foran and Eastwood who is on 800k.....

Did we get our monies worth for players like Keating & Reynolds? I think we did as they wernt on mega deals. Reynolds recieved a supposedly 800k deal from the Tigers which in my opinion is overs and the club did the right thing as he aint worth 800k but fucked up signing another busted half for a million a year.

It quiet possibly will take us a few years to recover now and our main goal should be our juniors and saving the cash for a proper recruitement drive which does not include signing players based on their "smile" as Cleal so famously eluded to

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Where are people getting that Foran is paid big dollars from?
Common sense and there’s been an absolute myriad of reports (believe what you will) since he was signed that he’s on 800-900 per year - I’m betting it’s backended also.

I honestly think you can’t not believe he’s on that much. We were a desperate club run by monkeys.

Status
Not open for further replies.