Yesterday's Hero: Simon Gillies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Previous Yesterday's Hero threads:

Darren Smith: https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/index.php?threads/yesterdays-hero-darren-smith.108562/
Craig Polla-Mounter: https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/index.php?threads/yesterdays-hero-craig-polla-mounter.108757/
Daryl Halligan: https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/index.php?threads/yesterdays-hero-daryl-halligan.108856/
Jason Hetherington: https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/...-hero-jason-hetherington.109027/#post-3315518

Simon Gillies

An old school hard running, no-nonsense back-rower, Simon Gillies played for the Canterbury Bulldogs during the1980s and 1990s. An Australia national and New South Wales state representative forward, he played his club football in Sydney for the Canterbury Bulldogs (with whom he won the 1995 ARL Premiership), as well as in England for the Warrington Wolves. His older brother, Benjamin Gillies, also played for the Bulldogs.

Gillies was selected to play for Canterbury-Bankstown from the reserve bench in their 1994 Grand Final loss to the Canberra Raiders.

Gillies played a prominent role in the Bulldogs 1995 finals campaign, scoring a decisive try against the Broncos which saw the Bulldogs go on to win 24-10, and also 2 tries the following week against Canberra, which saw the Bulldogs win 25-9, and book their place in the Grand Final. Gillies played in the 2nd row in the 1995 Grand Final victory over the Sea Eagles.

He was named as the Bulldogs' replacement captain following Terry Lamb's retirement at the end of 1996. Gillies represented Australia at the 1996 Super League World Nines. In 1997 he was selected for the New South Wales rugby league team during the Super League Tri-series.

simon_gillies.jpg

download.jpg

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
Simon Gillies in the 1995 Semi Final series was a beast!

He was easily our best throughout the whole series and IMO was the main reason we had that magical run to win the GF

Wahesh

Reaction score
He was part of the huge superstar roster we had in 1995. I won't forget his combination with Dean Pay in the finals games against Brisbane and Canberra. Absolutely fearless duo who caused nightmares for the opposition defense.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
what a legend ..I know I said this last week, but one of my favourites of all time .. Heart personified..

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Simon Gillies in the 1995 Semi Final series was a beast!

He was easily our best throughout the whole series and IMO was the main reason we had that magical run to win the GF
I disagree. Pay was our best with Gillies right behind him. Both were incredible that finals series.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Gillies and his brothers came from a long line of league players to have attended Yanco Agricultural High School, who won the old University Shield and Buckley Shield on a few occasions.

It sucked being the nearest school to Yanco, as we would always end up meeting them in the first or second round of the competitions.

It was probably that local connection that made watching him more special, and lead to the occasional purchase of something from the Gillies Grill on the hill at Belmore.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Gillies and his brothers came from a long line of league players to have attended Yanco Agricultural High School, who won the old University Shield and Buckley Shield on a few occasions.

It sucked being the nearest school to Yanco, as we would always end up meeting them in the first or second round of the competitions.

It was probably that local connection that made watching him more special, and lead to the occasional purchase of something from the Gillies Grill on the hill at Belmore.
The Gillies Grill... I can't say I remember that, but I remember the old snag on any grill went down well. Sitting on the hill eating a hotdog... nothing beat it. Then you throw on hot chips and coke... oh yeah, good old days.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The Gillies Grill... I can't say I remember that, but I remember the old snag on any grill went down well. Sitting on the hill eating a hotdog... nothing beat it. Then you throw on hot chips and coke... oh yeah, good old days.
Not sure if it was a permanent thing. I just remember going to a game around '96 and it was just the snag stand at the back of the hill. I think they sold a Baa Burger.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
One of the best bog average players that put it 100% every game... What bulldogs are made of.

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
Old school player and tough as they come but also gave away plenty of penalties especially for high shots.
he had a terrible judiciary record

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
He was captain of our reserve grade presidents cup team that beat Parramatta in 1998 ,the week after our first grade team had the famous come from behind win.

Wahesh

Reaction score
He was captain of our reserve grade presidents cup team that beat Parramatta in 1998 ,the week after our first grade team had the famous come from behind win.
I remember that game. He made a try-saving tackle from memory which also turned out to be a match winner.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly think our pack at the moment is too young and needs a big experienced hard nosed second rower to toughen us up, like Simon Gillies or a Steve Reardon type player. Move Jackson to lock and bring in Luke Lewis, Beau Scott or Shaun Fensom for a 1-2 year contract. Toughness would be taught and passed on.

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gillies definitely a favourite for me, no nonsense player.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tenacious...Played tough, never give up mentality

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One of the best bog average players that put it 100% every game... What bulldogs are made of.
So true, forwards in that era epitomised what Bulldogs are made of.

Simon Gillies, was an iron man of sorts playing 80mins, 15+ hitups, 30+ tackles, always supported the ball carrier and a real competitor.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That 1995 side was special! Gillies led from the front, tough, uncompromising and always showed up. Unsung hero of the team.

BekiCollin

Waterboy
Reaction score
I remember when he worked with lamb in the 95 gf shutting down Lyons could move,Machine in the 95 finals series

Status
Not open for further replies.