Bulldogs players say change to Pay was needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/16...-say-change-to-new-coach-dean-pay-was-needed/

Kieran Foran admits he was disappointed not to link again with his former coach Des Hasler at Canterbury but in the same breath says he's loving working with Dean Pay.

And it seems quite a few Bulldogs players share that sentiment.

"Contrary to popular opinion, I didn't come here just because of Des. I was disappointed for him the way things turned out," Foran told NRL.com, referring to Hasler being shown the door in September. The premiership-winning coach has since launched a legal challenge over the way the split took place.

"But I've been really enjoying my time under Dean. It's been great to be coached by him.

"He's a different style to Des as every coach has their own way. But I am enjoying Dean's spin on things.

"The boys have really bought into the culture and the type of footy he wants to be played here."

Foran isn't the only one enjoying the changing of the guard at Belmore.

"There's quite a bit of difference. Des was a lot about his videos whereas Dean doesn't really get into much video," said back-rower Greg Eastwood.

"He'd rather show us on the field and I kind of prefer that. I don't like sitting and watching too much video, I'd rather be out there putting into practice those things so I know what he wants me to do."

Veteran centre Josh Morris, who like Eastwood was present for the Hasler reign from 2012-2017, can also see some stark changes.

"They are completely different. Dean is a bit more laidback in the way he goes about his business than Des," Morris said.

"But there's been a lot more emphasis on skill during the pre-season. I feel like I've definitely got a lot more skilful.

"Maybe we haven't really showed it much so far but hopefully the skills and drills sessions we had will show throughout the year, and we create more opportunities on the back of that."

At the quarter-season mark, the Bulldogs are 2-4. The 27-10 win over North Queensland on Saturday was the most points Pay's men have scored over 80 minutes.

Skipper Josh Jackson said the "new feel" began when Pay had large banners erected on the western fence celebrating each premiership and grand final the Bulldogs have played.

"It's great to see what players have done before us. It is a real responsibility of us to make sure we uphold the value of the jersey," Jackson said. "We are custodians of that jersey now. We want the next generation of players to be proud of us too.

"I can't pinpoint one or two things that are different because it's quite a number of things. It's not that I didn't enjoy it last year, or the players didn't. It's just that is very different and we needed a breath of fresh air."

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Des was a lot about his videos whereas Dean doesn't really get into much video," said back-rower Greg Eastwood.
"A lot of training sessions started with Des walking into the sheds with a sports bag full of old VHS tapes of movies he'd taped from Foxtel. His favourite was Groundhog Day. I lost count of how many times we had to sit through that one." Eastwood added. "He also enjoyed Titanic. He would nose whistle to the My Heart Will Go On song during the movie. To be honest most of the boys struggled to see the point of these videos, but he is a supercoach so you just have to trust the process."

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/16...-say-change-to-new-coach-dean-pay-was-needed/

Kieran Foran admits he was disappointed not to link again with his former coach Des Hasler at Canterbury but in the same breath says he's loving working with Dean Pay.

And it seems quite a few Bulldogs players share that sentiment.

"Contrary to popular opinion, I didn't come here just because of Des. I was disappointed for him the way things turned out," Foran told NRL.com, referring to Hasler being shown the door in September. The premiership-winning coach has since launched a legal challenge over the way the split took place.

"But I've been really enjoying my time under Dean. It's been great to be coached by him.

"He's a different style to Des as every coach has their own way. But I am enjoying Dean's spin on things.

"The boys have really bought into the culture and the type of footy he wants to be played here."

Foran isn't the only one enjoying the changing of the guard at Belmore.

"There's quite a bit of difference. Des was a lot about his videos whereas Dean doesn't really get into much video," said back-rower Greg Eastwood.

"He'd rather show us on the field and I kind of prefer that. I don't like sitting and watching too much video, I'd rather be out there putting into practice those things so I know what he wants me to do."

Veteran centre Josh Morris, who like Eastwood was present for the Hasler reign from 2012-2017, can also see some stark changes.

"They are completely different. Dean is a bit more laidback in the way he goes about his business than Des," Morris said.

"But there's been a lot more emphasis on skill during the pre-season. I feel like I've definitely got a lot more skilful.

"Maybe we haven't really showed it much so far but hopefully the skills and drills sessions we had will show throughout the year, and we create more opportunities on the back of that."

At the quarter-season mark, the Bulldogs are 2-4. The 27-10 win over North Queensland on Saturday was the most points Pay's men have scored over 80 minutes.

Skipper Josh Jackson said the "new feel" began when Pay had large banners erected on the western fence celebrating each premiership and grand final the Bulldogs have played.

"It's great to see what players have done before us. It is a real responsibility of us to make sure we uphold the value of the jersey," Jackson said. "We are custodians of that jersey now. We want the next generation of players to be proud of us too.

"I can't pinpoint one or two things that are different because it's quite a number of things. It's not that I didn't enjoy it last year, or the players didn't. It's just that is very different and we needed a breath of fresh air."
Lol @ dean doesn't get us to do much video. I guess that's why Montoya hasn't learned to stay on his man and come infield to hang out with some backrowers

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"A lot of training sessions started with Des walking into the sheds with a sports bag full of old VHS tapes of movies he'd taped from Foxtel. His favourite was Groundhog Day. I lost count of how many times we had to sit through that one." Eastwood added. "He also enjoyed Titanic. He would nose whistle to the My Heart Will Go On song during the movie. To be honest most of the boys struggled to see the point of these videos, but he is a supercoach so you just have to trust the process."
Straight up, LOL!!!!

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good report and about time it was aired. Goes to show the coach has the full support of the players. Any talk
of any disruption is total garbage. People will get on side since winning has started, and it has started.
The players and coaching staff seem really united. Its all go from here on.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Actions speak louder than words.

2 from 4 ... time to adjust that early season deficit by knuckling down and building on last weeks performance.

When the entire team starts clicking, I think we can be very successful.

I'd say at the moment we are playing to about 40-50% of the teams ability. Still a long way to go.

Think about:
10% When Mbye starts supporting / backing up / injecting himself in attack.
10% When JMK starts to attack the other side of the field.
10% When Lichaa starts to fire at dummy half with more scurries.
5% When our backline see more ball and depth in attacking line.
5% When our forwards start rolling onto the ball with momentum and offloading before the line.
~5% When Eastwood and our lock push forwards up the middle better.
~5% When we start drawing defence and offloding before the line with depth in attack.

Reactions: jof

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Eastwood was straight up in his thoughts about long ass video sessions lol

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

That is priceless!!! To be honest I can almost see Des and hear his glorious schnoz rendition of the theme song.....

Reactions: jof

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Prove it *****.
Right now you’ve got the new coach, you love so much, under pressure.
And of course there are the impatient ones ^^

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can almost see Des and hear his glorious schnoz rendition of the theme song.....
I imagine it sounding like this..

Best part starts at 3:10

Last edited:

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's working... since being dropped Beastwood has been pretty decent in his short spells (considering he's still getting his fitness back).
Eastwood has been very good since coming back into the side I agree

Speaking of Eastwood where is Gotenks (Marley) these days? Have you banned him ?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Eastwood has been very good since coming back into the side I agree

Speaking of Eastwood where is Gotenks (Marley) these days? Have you banned him ?
Eastwood fired up and Gotenks disappeared.

Coincidence??

Nah he's not banned and account isn't locked out. Hasn't been online since last Sunday. Hopefully the blokes okay healthwise... and he's just away overseas or something.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They failed to mention Dean hasn't even spent 10% of what Fraudsler did during his entire 6 years with the Dogs lol .. We just need to give Dean sometime as 6 years of Fraudslers coaching and mind playing has affected the boys and the way they play footy so for us to be a success it will have to be like fine wine, it will take time but will be worth it in the end and at least Dean is listening and seeing what we have said all along eg: Mybe to FB was a start!
Go the Doggiessss!

Malla

Reaction score
I am still not expecting us to make the finals this year, but I love that Pay has already provided a culture shift.

The simplicity of going out on the field and showing the boys what he wants as opposed to watching hours of footage on an iPad is beautiful. The best thing for us this year is to continue to see growth in guys like Fine, Elliot, Mbye at fullback and Marshall-King while we build for a successful future.

The tough thing for Pay now is the fact he is stuck with a lot of dead wood but he's already showing good signs as a coach and leader of men.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Eastwood fired up and Gotenks disappeared.

Coincidence??

Nah he's not banned and account isn't locked out. Hasn't been online since last Sunday. Hopefully the blokes okay healthwise... and he's just away overseas or something.
Hopefully the stubborn bastard is ok and comes back to the Kennel fam

Status
Not open for further replies.