Theory about Holland on bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Many of us tonight were left scrtaching their head about why Holland was on the bench, and more importantly why he came in playing a roaming halves role and pushing JMK to hooker.

I started thinking about what the point of that exercise could be, and then realised that Lewis is being played in the same positions (per se).

Frawley and Cleeland will be gone at years end, and I'm wondering if perhaps they are moving Lewis around in NSW Cup to see if he handles playing in the backline, as we already know he can play in the halves.

IF that idea is successful, he could swap with Holland for bench utility role (don't get me wrong Holland was good tonight in his role), but I think Lewis could add more spark to that utility role.

JMK played 80 minutes tonight across halves and hooker role.

6. JMK
7. Foran
9. Lichaa

After 60 odd Lichaa comes off, Lewis/Holland/Brown comes on, and either JMK stays in halves, or moves to hooker with a change in the halves.

Could just be what the idea is.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
JMK would make ripping nine with a few more kegs with 20 to go the game was in the bag I think pay is just testing the water with different players in different positions which is good coaching imo

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
FFS give Holland a break! Pay put him there not his fault
Yes and the effort is definitely there.. his efforts cannot be questioned .. as much as I'd prefer someone else more potent, the kids done nothing wrong the last couple of weeks and been one of the better players

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I honestly don't get why people hate Holland so much. He's no superstar, but he's been pretty reliable for the team and wouldn't be costing us huge dollars. If the coach see's him as being versatile enough to fill in a few positions it's better that he gets to practice having stints in different areas now rather than late in the season.

Many of us tonight were left scrtaching their head about why Holland was on the bench, and more importantly why he came in playing a roaming halves role and pushing JMK to hooker.

I started thinking about what the point of that exercise could be, and then realised that Lewis is being played in the same positions (per se).

Frawley and Cleeland will be gone at years end, and I'm wondering if perhaps they are moving Lewis around in NSW Cup to see if he handles playing in the backline, as we already know he can play in the halves.

IF that idea is successful, he could swap with Holland for bench utility role (don't get me wrong Holland was good tonight in his role), but I think Lewis could add more spark to that utility role.

6. JMK
7. Foran
9. Lichaa

After 60 odd Lichaa comes off, Lewis/Holland/Brown comes on, and either JMK stays in halves, or moves to hooker with a change in the halves.

From all reports in the off-season, Holland worked his ass off and impressed a lot of his team-mates. I recall that the Morris brothers mentioned that he would feature somewhere in the team and possibly Jackson mentioned his pre-season efforts. It just might be that he's earned every minute he plays this year through his work ethic. He's played pretty well this year and I really hope that he manages to silence some of the haters.

Last year people complained the house down that Hasler didn't use everyone on the bench, this year it feels like people are getting ready to complain that Pay is using everybody on the bench. Whether or not Lewis gets time this year as a bench utility, it's not a bad thing that we're seeing some player rotation that isn't motivated by injury. If it means that some of our depth are used to our playing style if they're called upon in the finals (because I still think we'll make it into the 8) we're better off.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
As I said in first post, he was good tonight in that role, but I don't see him long term as a utility player. He's a reserve back.

Brown and Lewis are more the utility role (at a pinch Frawley).

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As long as the first 16 players do their job well like tonight the 17th player seems like a luxury

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can handle 1-7 and 9,big enough to do 11 & 12 if required,can’t get much more versatile than that,plus kicks goals!!! Not sure if he can juggle and tap dance if your looking for faults in him...

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
FFS give Holland a break! Pay put him there not his fault
Hahahaha so true mate.

It’s like Pay tells Holland “You’ll be on the FG bench this week”
Then Holland tells Pay “No I can’t do that, because I think you’ve got your bench wrong and you will upset people on the Kennel”

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As I said in first post, he was good tonight in that role, but I don't see him long term as a utility player. He's a reserve back.

Brown and Lewis are more the utility role (at a pinch Frawley).

See when mbye got injured against Souths and hoppa went to fullback, for some reason pay moved Jackson to centre instead of playing brown at centre.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hahahaha so true mate.

It’s like Pay tells Holland “You’ll be on the FG bench this week”
Then Holland tells Pay “No I can’t do that, because I think you’ve got your bench wrong and you will upset people on the Kennel”

So we shouldn’t post our opinion? I don’t get what your trying to say? I think it’s weird holland is on the bench especially considering I don’t rate him at all.

Isn’t this the place to raise your opinion good or bad?

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
I honestly don't get why people hate Holland so much. He's no superstar, but he's been pretty reliable for the team and wouldn't be costing us huge dollars. If the coach see's him as being versatile enough to fill in a few positions it's better that he gets to practice having stints in different areas now rather than late in the season.

From all reports in the off-season, Holland worked his ass off and impressed a lot of his team-mates. I recall that the Morris brothers mentioned that he would feature somewhere in the team and possibly Jackson mentioned his pre-season efforts. It just might be that he's earned every minute he plays this year through his work ethic. He's played pretty well this year and I really hope that he manages to silence some of the haters.

Last year people complained the house down that Hasler didn't use everyone on the bench, this year it feels like people are getting ready to complain that Pay is using everybody on the bench. Whether or not Lewis gets time this year as a bench utility, it's not a bad thing that we're seeing some player rotation that isn't motivated by injury. If it means that some of our depth are used to our playing style if they're called upon in the finals (because I still think we'll make it into the 8) we're better off.
So let’s put a bench full of hard workers we might as well carry 2 wingers a centre and an extra fullback cause they worked so hard in the offseason.

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

6. JMK
7. Foran
9. Lichaa

Have Frawley and Cleeland been told to look elsewhere?

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow that shows how bad our depth is lol
Agreed, Holland is in the 17 to cover the Morris twins. He deserves his spot as he was one of the most impressive in pre season, however to carry a winger/fullback on the bench is a reflection of our depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.