Bulldogs vs Panthers Trial Info and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wish he played the reserves v Canberra and last weeks side against penriff so we could watch them live at belmore

That’s my only real qualm

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So Pay is giving the youngsters a chance against a fair dinkum FG side (although it will prob change before they kick off) and still half of you aren't happy. I wonder if you would be still happy if Mbye or Foran or Klemm copped a major injury in the trial if they were playing this week or would everyone be saying how ridiculous it was that we risked them when we already know what they can do. The issue for the kids is not who they are playing with but who they are playing against. They have their shot to impress. Now it's up to them. They go gangbusters and they can force their way into the starting lineup early on. They play like plonkers then hello Sat afternoon footy. I think after 3 months of training them our new coach has some sort of idea who plays well and who doesn't. I'm happy to back his judgement......
I agree to an extent that players like Jacko, Klem and the Morris brothers shouldn't be playing but players like Frawley and especially Mbye would have benefited from a run this week.

I'm not sure how you can say we know what Mbye can do at fullback when he didn't really get involved at all last week I'm not saying it was his fault but he didn't even catch a bomb! I just have a really bad feeling he could get badly exposed against the Storm with kicks all night.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
To be fair we played our first squad bar woods and tolman for 40’last week.

Most teams didn’t
They still named reasonable teams though, we just flat oit named our reserve grade side lol. Surelly the likes of Foran, Moses, Lichaa need another run together. This is missed opportunity imo.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This team really shows up how bad our backline depth is..........

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree to an extent that players like Jacko, Klem and the Morris brothers shouldn't be playing but players like Frawley and especially Mbye would have benefited from a run this week.

I'm not sure how you can say we know what Mbye can do at fullback when he didn't really get involved at all last week I'm not saying it was his fault but he didn't even catch a bomb! I just have a really bad feeling he could get badly exposed against the Storm with kicks all night.
Yes he could, but that won't have anything to do with the trial. There is a reason why the Raiders didn't kick to him and it would be the same with the Panthers. There is nothing for them to gain by testing him in a trial. They will wait until the comp. So if he did get a high ball it wouldn't be under much pressure. In any event I'm sure he has been hit a 1000 times at training in the past few months while catching high balls so he'll be fine. Unless the entire spine plays then there really isn't much benefit in them playing. It's about the combinations and they had a hitout last week and obviously Pay saw enough in it to not need to risk them in a nothing game. I'm sure if he were concerned he would have them on the paddock. It is however a chance for the young blokes to show Pay they are up for it if they get the call. That's a much better outcome for us I think.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This team really shows up how bad our backline depth is..........
Where is Smith? Fast and strong but not even in the picture? Surely they should persist with him on the wing?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes he could, but that won't have anything to do with the trial. There is a reason why the Raiders didn't kick to him and it would be the same with the Panthers. There is nothing for them to gain by testing him in a trial. They will wait until the comp. So if he did get a high ball it wouldn't be under much pressure. In any event I'm sure he has been hit a 1000 times at training in the past few months while catching high balls so he'll be fine. Unless the entire spine plays then there really isn't much benefit in them playing. It's about the combinations and they had a hitout last week and obviously Pay saw enough in it to not need to risk them in a nothing game. I'm sure if he were concerned he would have them on the paddock. It is however a chance for the young blokes to show Pay they are up for it if they get the call. That's a much better outcome for us I think.
Agree to disagree catching bombs in a game is very different to training and any experience would have been good for him. Anyway its a mute point anyway because hes not playing!

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ridiculous decision, we're about to go through 24+ rounds of footy and injury/fatigue is our concern in a trial? Not to mention we have a new spine to gel.

How can young players have an impact when they are playing with the ISP side anyway? I've always thought to get a fair indication of someone's talents they have to play alongside the best players possible. For that reason I don't buy that excuse either.

Again, very strange and disappointing.
Fatigue isnt why they are resting them. There not playing because theres no need to risk injury 2 weeks before the season starts. Its a smart move by Pay.

People are only upset because they are not playing only because they want to see the team play. A little patience from everyone there's plenty of time to watch our team play.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where is Smith? Fast and strong but not even in the picture? Surely they should persist with him on the wing?
Must be injured hes been in plenty of training photos

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Man I hope Pay doesn’t regret using another trial to fine tune the spine

Our first graders basically going into round one with 40 minutes trial

Woods will go in cold

I did suggest he may rest Foran and Lichaa possibly Klemmer but not the whole 17 lol

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Fatigue isnt why they are resting them. There not playing because theres no need to risk injury 2 weeks before the season starts. Its a smart move by Pay.

People are only upset because they are not playing only because they want to see the team play. A little patience from everyone there's plenty of time to watch our team play.
Maybe they should stop training all together to minimise the risk of injury /s

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
We are going to get pumped by a full strength Panthers side.

Holland and Carr should swap (Holland to wing and Carr to fullback).

Some are left out because they are playing NSW Cup (Intrust Super Cup) game (played straight before first grade).

E.G Smith, Cerruto, Woolford (?), etc

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe they should stop training all together to minimise the risk of injury /s
Very childish comment. Please enlighten all the stupid people why its so important to play a trail game; which means fuck all.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Very childish comment. Please enlighten all the stupid people why its so important to play a trail game; which means fuck all.
Because they need the run, very simple. 40 minutes in shit stop start game against the Raiders is barely enough. Now what's the point in sending out a reserve grade side against a full strength Panthers side?

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Makes sense now that the tickets were cheap $5 lol

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We are going to get pumped by a full strength Panthers side.

Holland and Carr should swap (Holland to wing and Carr to fullback).

Some are left out because they are playing NSW Cup (Intrust Super Cup) game (played straight before first grade).

E.G Smith, Cerruto, Woolford (?), etc
Oh so we're sending out 2 reserve grade sides? Awsome.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Oh so we're sending out 2 reserve grade sides? Awsome.
I’m with you on this one

We needed to run most of our top players this Sat

Melbourne will be coming into round one with massive leverage on the back of 4 trials

They played Knights and Warriors

They also played WCC and testimonial for Smith on Friday

We have had 40 minutes with our full strength side (minus Woods)

I guess we will find out in a couple of weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.