2018 SG Ball - Discussion Thread (Season Ended)

Status
Not open for further replies.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
100% dogs play parra next Saturday at Chester hill then the dogs matts and Sg ball play the sharks on the 2nd of feb also at Chester hill

Matts and Sg ball Round 1 starts on The 10th of feb against the roosters at Henson park matts kick off at 11:30 followed by Sg ball
Thanks - you need to be on the Dogs payroll!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
@r_m_i if you happen to get a draw with information/dates/times, I'll be more than happy to pop it up on our social media pages, as well as feature it on the forums here.

Like many others I'd love to see more support for the lower grades.

Imagine being able to say "hey that's John Smith.. I remember seeing him play for SG Ball, and now he's playing first grade".

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Cheers Mate ..... venue information is the only thing missing it seems.

Once I get that give me some time to go through and I can probably get a thread with all dates/times/etc and them publicise that across our social media pages.

Last edited:

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Both HM and SGBall were impressive in trials against Parramatta. Both squads had wins(?). (SGB all were up 7 tries to 4 when I left & Only downside were injuries.

Last edited:
Reactions: GC8

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Diddly was there anyone that impressed you from both squad in particular
Others who know players names or who had access to team sheets would have a better idea BUT overall impression was that in contrast to previous years both sides were more than competitive and, whilst basic, the handling was so much better. They did far more than just one out hit ups and kick. The SGBALL side scored some extremely good tries, particularly the first half squad. The number 6 in the SGBAll took the line on well - as he did last week, the dummy half did some good things with the ball as well. Unfortunately Kurt Picken was injured and helped off the field. Early days but good signs.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Round 1 v Sydney Roosters Team List:

1. Logen Dillon
3. Kurt Picken
4. Michael Fahd
5. Jazzaiah Schaafhausen
6. Connor Garrety
7. James Valevatu
8. Terence Toomata
9. Ryan Gray (c)
10. Penisimani Teaupa
11. Jackson Topine
12. Christopher Patolo
13. William Saunders

14. Funaki Matavesi
15. Mosese Pope
16. Justin Filo
17. Jake Averillo

18. Banjamin Mallia

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
2 Iverson Fuatimau

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Round 1 Result
SG Ball - Canterbury 12 vs Sydney Roosters 22 - Tries: Dillon, Saunders

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Watched the SGBALL v Roosters - as per trial game against sharks the Doggies, apart from Logan Dillon, either lack genuine speed or don't play to it. Roosters smaller quick players caused the doggies all sorts in the second half. First half Dogs had very little ball but defended well and I would have thought with a decent amount of ball would probably dominate the second half. They didn't! Roosters speed men kept them under pressure. Is it a lack of speed or urgency and over reliance on big forwards - any thoughts?

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Diddly did you watch the Harold matts game if you did any thoughts on it ..
Saw all but the first 5minutes of HM - they completely outclassed the Roosters. The smaller quicker players did very well towards the end of each half. Scored some good team tries. Still a bit too much arm grabbing in defence, expected at this level, particularly on one side of the dogs defence and as the bigger forwards were tiring. The dummy half Danny G was again a standout.

zac hollywood

Waterboy
Reaction score
Watched the SGBALL v Roosters - as per trial game against sharks the Doggies, apart from Logan Dillon, either lack genuine speed or don't play to it. Roosters smaller quick players caused the doggies all sorts in the second half. First half Dogs had very little ball but defended well and I would have thought with a decent amount of ball would probably dominate the second half. They didn't! Roosters speed men kept them under pressure. Is it a lack of speed or urgency and over reliance on big forwards - any thoughts?
iknow it was the first game but the forwards were terrible and looked so unfit. they were gassed after 10minutes holes galore up the middle. didn't win a play the ball. everything they did was in slow motion. the halves didn't go to good. probably cause the forwards got dominated. tough draw season could be over in the next 3 weeks if they keep playing like that

Last edited:

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
iknow it was the first game but the forwards were terrible and looked so unfit. they were gassed after 10minutes holes galore up the middle. didn't win a play the ball. everything they did was in slow motion. the halves didn't go to good. probably cause the forwards got dominated. tough draw season could be over in the next 3 weeks if they keep playing like that
And I'm pretty sure the roosters half back (Bailey Hayward) is a local boy from St George Dragons. Anyone confirm?

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did the doggies appear to you , with the exception of Logan Dillon -a lot slower than the roosters - or was it they played with no urgency.
One thing I noticed before the game was the contrast in the intensity and discipline of the warm up - Roosters extremely disciplined and responsive to the trainer.

zac hollywood

Waterboy
Reaction score
Did the doggies appear to you , with the exception of Logan Dillon -a lot slower than the roosters - or was it they played with no urgency.
One thing I noticed before the game was the contrast in the intensity and discipline of the warm up - Roosters extremely disciplined and responsive to the trainer.
yeh your right besides Dillon who looks like hes got great speed the side looks very slow. how many penalties did they give away on the 5th tackle. like you said no discipline someone told me they have a few younger blokes in the side maybe there not up to it. long year for them I think

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
3. Kurt Picken
5. Jazzaiah Schaafhausen
7. James Valevatu
11. Jackson Topine
12. Christopher Patolo
13. William Saunders
15. Mosese Pope

These boys are all 17 this year
See i cant understand this. If they are exceptional, yeh but these have come from an ordinary Matts 2017 team and it sounds like we're gonna do it tough again. Surely there were some u18s that deserved at least a few of hese spots.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Where are all the Victorian,, Wests, Keebra and Kiwi kids we supposedly pinched?

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
See i cant understand this. If they are exceptional, yeh but these have come from an ordinary Matts 2017 team and it sounds like we're gonna do it tough again. Surely there were some u18s that deserved at least a few of hese spots.
Jackson T was extremely good in Matts throughout last year - Picken was also good in the few games he played until injured. Both were strong defensively on Saturday but no opportunities in attack.

zac hollywood

Waterboy
Reaction score
I see they kept the same forwards except tatola lets hope hes got a big engine cause there forwards need something see they kept the halves and moved one to fullback. the fullbacks a bit unlucky getting moved to the wing he was the only one who showed some spark in attack last week

Status
Not open for further replies.