How Michael Lichaa was farewelled from Bulldogs, then re-signed three games later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
MICHAEL Lichaa was finished at Canterbury. His career as a Bulldogs player was over.

So confident were his teammates and then-coach Des Hasler that he was to leave the kennel, they organised a farewell for him to bid goodbye.

He was unwanted by Hasler and the cord had been cut.

That was before their round 24 game against Manly last season.

With a weight lifted from his shoulders — the weight of Hasler’s stifling game plan that had plagued his form for the best part of two years — Lichaa felt like a new man.

“I got farewelled with three games to go and something clicked in my head and I went out and played my own game,” Lichaa told Fox Sports.

Obviously I ran the footy a lot more. It fell into place for me. That last game against the Dragons, we won and I scored the last try and it all kind of fell into place from there.”

With his own fate sealed and Hasler’s future on the rocks, Lichaa decided to take matters into his own hands and simply play the football he wanted to play, not what the coach had been drilling into him.

Then when Hasler got sacked from his job a couple of weeks later, the door that had just closed was suddenly open again.

New Bulldogs coach Dean Pay put a contract in front of him. A lifeline had been extended by the club that had tapped him on the shoulder a month earlier.

Now he’s playing under the coach he first met in NSW under 20s Origin camp years ago, and fans can expect to see a different Michael Lichaa in 2018.

“I think I finished the year showing the type of player that I am, and hopefully come round one, through to round 26 and the finals that’s the player I am,” he said.

“I was lucky enough Deano came on board and I had a relationship with him before. I’m really grateful to still be at the club.”

Lichaa’s new-found confidence was bolstered by a World Cup campaign with Lebanon.

The 24-year-old took plenty away from working with experienced hooker Robbie Farah, and new NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler.

“Everyone sees Freddy as the joking type. I had him with City-Country a few years ago but that was a pretty relaxed camp,” Lichaa said.

“Going into the World Cup I wasn’t too sure how he was going to be. Every time we hit that field he was full on.

“He’s one of the strictest coaches I’ve had, the way we trained and prepared and the little things he wants you to get right.

“I enjoyed every minute with him and I think the Blues are going to benefit with him there.”

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...r/news-story/3130c9a82d27f5d8c8d17e38e7395012

I'm excited for him but hope he can improve his service from dummy half.

MosDef

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Excited to see what he can bring to the team this year. Those last three games were excellent from him and made us much more enjoyable to watch.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We're going to win the Champions League.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Fkn lol @ the media regurgitating bullshit....

Tomorrow's headline: -

MAN WALKS ON MOON..............50 years ago.
I've been saying this too - but others try to tell me it's good to hear positive news, no matter how cliched or how many times its been repeated.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
It must have been so fun to just go out and ignore what your boss was telling you to do, knowing that there would be no repercussions.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
This is a cartoon of a man kicking a pregnant lady.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It must have been so fun to just go out and ignore what your boss was telling you to do, knowing that there would be no repercussions.
that's how I feel ATM starting a new job in a few weeks time

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Fkn lol @ the media regurgitating bullshit....

Tomorrow's headline: -

MAN WALKS ON MOON..............50 years ago.
Except that never actually happened.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Zac Woolford is snapping at his heels and pay loves Woolford I’ll you that

Status
Not open for further replies.