Do we have the makings of a successful team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
he lost his way with attacking structures and recruiment. That only leaves defense. The easiest part of the game when you’re prepare to compress wings and risk exposure from kicks..the good defensive teams defend well without that exposure. Hasler has lost his touch. Like sheens, Brian smith, chris Anderson etc

Steve M

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We haven’t got a goal kicker.
That will determine our year. Winners convert 4’s to 6’s. We can’t do that on a regular enough basis

A

Alexander the Great

We haven’t got a goal kicker.
That will determine our year. Winners convert 4’s to 6’s. We can’t do that on a regular enough basis
I think we will struggle again this year to convert most tries unfortunately unless moses has been putting in some serious hours but id say majority of his time would be spent under the high ball most days.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
The opinion of anyone who watches league without their Bulldogs goggles on.
... in your opinion :p

Let’s keep this up. We could go on forever like this ... at least until kick off.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Top 4 expectations are ridiculous at this point, we probably have more unknowns than any other team atm lol.
We’re you watching the team in 2009? Bet you’d have scoffed at our top four potential that year too. No offence dude, I like you, but you are extremely pessimistic :p

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We’re you watching the team in 2009? Bet you’d have scoffed at our top four potential that year too. No offence dude, I like you, but you are extremely pessimistic :p
I'm just being realistic. I think it's unfair to put such high expectations on them when a ball hasn't been kicked yet. Pretty much everything at this stage is just wishful thinking and answering every unknown with "it will absolutely work out".

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I'm just being realistic. I think it's unfair to put such high expectations on them when a ball hasn't been kicked yet. Pretty much everything at this stage is just wishful thinking and answering every unknown with "it will absolutely work out".
Well that's your perspective I guess. Nobody is putting such high expectations on them that I can see.....we have more or less all said we won't be angry or disappointed if things don't fall into place or go as well as we think they might. I question that you are being realistic.....suggesting the idea our squad could be top four is "ridiculous" is far from realistic IMO. the reality is we weren't that far from the top four two seasons ago and were playing like garbage....with key positional and strategic changes taking place I don't see why we can't climb a few positions higher. Nobody will be bringing out the pitchforks for them if we're wrong....but in my honest opinion, predictions we will finish 13th (like that of the author of the article) are much more ridiculous. No way we're finishing that low.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Well that's your perspective I guess. Nobody is putting such high expectations on them that I can see.....we have more or less all said we won't be angry or disappointed if things don't fall into place or go as well as we think they might. I question that you are being realistic.....suggesting the idea our squad could be top four is "ridiculous" is far from realistic IMO. the reality is we weren't that far from the top four two seasons ago and were playing like garbage....with key positional and strategic changes taking place I don't see why we can't climb a few positions higher. Nobody will be bringing out the pitchforks for them if we're wrong....but in my honest opinion, predictions we will finish 13th (like that of the author of the article) are much more ridiculous. No way we're finishing that low.
I said a top 4 prediction at this point is ridiculous, i'm not talking about us potentially being top 4. Obviously we could potentially be a top 4 team, but you could say that for just about every other team at this point in the season. Almost everyone that isn't a Dogs support has us on the bottom half of the ladder because they don't have all our unknowns or potentials working out for us like some on here.

I think we're probably a 11-7 team at best atm, but i also wouldn't be suprised if we ran dead last or top 4.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I said a top 4 prediction at this point is ridiculous, i'm not talking about us potentially being top 4. Obviously we could potentially be a top 4 team, but you could say that for just about every other team at this point in the season. Almost everyone that isn't a Dogs support has us on the bottom half of the ladder because they don't have all our unknowns or potentials working out for us like some on here.

I think we're probably a 11-7 team at best atm, but i also wouldn't be suprised if we ran dead last or top 4.
Haha well you're entitled to your opinion just as I'm entitled to think it's silly. I don't think a top four prediction is ridiculous....in the slightest....and it harms no-one. In fact, I think it's a bit ridiculous to label a top four prediction as ridiculous when we have been close to the top four at times in recent years despite our game plan being all wrong and half out team playing out of position (or to a game plan which doesn't suit their strengths). I won't blame the team if I'm wrong, but I'm not retracting my prediction by any means. I think we will finish top 4.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's one of the those off seasons that could go either way. Smacks of 09, when a raft of changes and led to us finishing runner up MP's (And yes, still a very big fuck you to Jame Soward).

If I am honest, my hope is people do not expect big things of us like (like in 09) and we just come out fighting for a coach they want to play for.

Realistically though, many teams have gotten better than us with additions, and whilst you could argue we have too, not to the extent of others. Yeah we gained Woods and Foran, but we lost Graham (you could also argue he is on a downward slope, but I blame Desball for that more than anything).We also have a roster with aging players, who need to pull their thumb out.

Untried player at fullback (positionally). Aging Morris boys. A slow back line in comparison to other teams. One gun half (on his day), partnered with someone with less than 10 FG games. A forward pack which, if the rumours are true, will be led by Woods and Klemmer. So where does that leave Tolman?

I'd be surprised at anything above a top 5 finish. Other than that, I would just say as expected/whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.