Do we have the makings of a successful team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Top 4 expectations are ridiculous at this point, we probably have more unknowns than any other team atm lol.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
What part of my comment did you not understand?
Didn't even read most of it because it's laughable that you think we have a top 4 paper on roster. Just read it now and lol at us having the 2nd best team on paper. Just LOL

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Didn't even read most of it because it's laughable that you think we have a top 4 paper on roster. Just read it now and lol at us having the 2nd best team on paper. Just LOL
Haha and I’m sure you’ve never been wrong. Look at our forward pack. If Mbye, Lichaa and Foran all fire, it’s not a far fetched claim at all.

You said on paper, I never said that... I said if coached properly which implies potential.... you can’t quantify what sort of difference key positional and strategic changes may have “on paper” let alone hunger and enthusiasm.... i do think we have that potential if our roster and positional changes work. Our pack will be pretty damn formidable imo. I don’t care about on paper. If the paper team won most years, the roosters would have a lot more premierships in recent years. But I do think our team has a lot of potential.... even on paper. Great things were tipped of Mbye, Lichaa.... a lot of people in the know expected them to do very good things before desball sapped their confidence....

Commenting on a post before you read it is kinda like judging a football team before you read it... lol...

I see that potential in us....can’t say your derision bothers me much. I’m trying to be optimistic dude. I’m excited about the season for once, so go ahead, laugh.

*blows raspberry :p

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Haha and I’m sure you’ve never been wrong. Look at our forward pack. If Mbye, Lichaa and Foran all fire, it’s not a far fetched claim at all.

You said on paper, I never said that... I said if coached properly which implies potential.... you can’t quantify what sort of difference key positional and strategic changes may have “on paper” let alone hunger and enthusiasm.... i do think we have that potential if our roster and positional changes work. Our pack will be pretty damn formidable imo. I don’t care about on paper. If the paper team won most years, the roosters would have a lot more premierships in recent years. But I do think our team has a lot of potential.... even on paper. Great things were tipped of Mbye, Lichaa.... a lot of people in the know expected them to do very good things before desball sapped their confidence....

Commenting on a post before you read it is kinda like judging a football team before you read it... lol...

I see that potential in us....can’t say your derision bothers me much. I’m trying to be optimistic dude. I’m excited about the season for once, so go ahead, laugh.

We have great props but our backrow outside of JJ is very suspect. Foran hasn't even been good since 2015. If every player from every team in the NRL played to their best Melbourne would destory us. Cowboys would destroy us. Roosters would destroy us.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I am loving the confidence of the guys here.

But there are a lot of unknowns with our team around Mybe at fullback, Lichaa, the bench and depth.

Personally I think we have a weakness in the halves. Foran will be good but the other bloke, whoever it is, and how they perform, is the teams biggest unknown.

Personally I will be very happy to make the 8!!!

The team is being written off by the experts, other teams supporters and the betting market as much of a chance for the 8.

So it should be a big relief for us that the team has the advantage to start the season as underdogs! Hopefully the boys come out of the blocks in a fast sprint and jump Melbourne in game 1.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
We have great props but our backrow outside of JJ is very suspect. Foran hasn't even been good since 2015. If every player from every team in the NRL played to their best Melbourne would destory us. Cowboys would destroy us. Roosters would destroy us.
Your opinion mate..

Sherlock Holmes

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think if our attack improves and our defense remains the same under Pay then we can beat any team , our defense was up there with the top teams last season the only thing that let us down was our boring attack so if we score more points with our new attcking stuctures we'll be hard to beat

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
After watching the team go from bad to worse over the last few seasons playing very unbulldog like football and being an absolute self confessed pessimist in the process, I think it’s finally time to look ahead with a fair bit of optimism and enjoy being a tragic Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs fan again!

I know there are a few question marks coming from all of us true blue and white fans but that all stems from having a coach that certainly did not understand our pedigree.

Being an astute lover of all sports in general, and listening to various players and coaches from sports in Australia and abroad, the single most important ingredient they all agree on in order to have a successful team and season is happiness! If a club, it’s coach, and the support staff create an environment for it’s players to be happy to come to work everyday with a smile on his face then the rest will fall into place accordingly, and from what I have seen and heard since the board appointed Dean Pay as head coach Canterbury is just that! I think that Dean has not only addresses the short comings in our roster, the lack of Bulldog culture, but most importantly the miserable place it had become under Des Hasler’s tenure, he has turned it around in a very short period of time and I truly think it will resinate on the field.

I have read many comments on here debating whether our roster can lift with some of our recruits we have bought in the off season, particularly Keiran Foran! It has been well publicised that yes, he’s had a few personal issues the last few seasons, and his body isn’t what it used to be etc but the bloke looks to be extremely happy, he is back in Sydney and is seeing his kids more frequently, he skipped the world cup to focus on getting his body right for his new club and upcoming season, we as fans must at least give him the benefit of the doubt! Personally, I think he will be a gun for us this season being that it looks like he has left his past behind .

Firstly, with Woods and Klemmer starting in the front row together we will finally have a great forward pack that will bend opposition defenses back, ( No offense to Graham and Tolman but they weren’t exactly big lumps of lads that could do this ) Woods has plenty of footy in him and might even teach Klem how to offload the ball and get that second phase play going!

Lichaa is finally going to be let off Des’ leash and play his natural game which is running the ball and catching opposition defenses napping!

We have a great backline with a couple of good new young aquisitions added to our roster, if Pay can introduce Moses Suli onto the wing to start with and gradually coach him to realise his potential he will be a destructive force for years to come! Certainly helps that he was a Bulldogs fan growing up and now that he is playing for the team he naturally supported as a youngster he may just apply himself better to reach his potential.

We couldn’t have appointed a better captain for this club! Josh Jackson leads by example like so many other captains from days past, this leadership will rub off on the talented, skillful and young backrowers we have like Elliot, RFM and co.

Lastly, the missing cog we haven’t had since Brent Sherwin, we have a signed,sealed and will be delivered in 2019 a great little halfback in Jack Cogger, this kid comes with great expectation and loads of potential and with the foundation that is currently being laid at the club there is no reason he cant thrive in this new happy environment.

All these things to me point to a new successful era, so let’s all drop the pessimistic attitudes and support these bastards to the hilt and maybe, we can all be happy little Bulldogs again.
Not yet.

We’ve been in decline and freefall since 2005 and we are living off the Moore/Mullholland era rebuild. We did come close to arresting the decline but not close enough.

Successful teams have a spine of 4 or 5 star players. Atm we have:

Mbye 3 stars
Frawley 2 stars
Foran 5 stars
Lichaa 3 stars

We’re just not balanced like other teams. The lack of quality in key positions is disturbing.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
View attachment 4984

Screw all you naysayers

GO THE DOGS!!!!!!!!!
I'm that excited and a little confident of a great year to I'm going to put some money on the team too. Not as much as you, but I'm not a gambler hardly ever go to the tab, can you give me a tip or two on how to go about it please

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think we all are

old school dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
2019 will be better. B.Morris gone, J.Morris gone, Tolman gone. Eastwood gone. Then two big name stars. Then we'll be in business.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm that excited and a little confident of a great year to I'm going to put some money on the team too. Not as much as you, but I'm not a gambler hardly ever go to the tab, can you give me a tip or two on how to go about it please
Gambling is a mugs game don't do it

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Not yet.

We’ve been in decline and freefall since 2005 and we are living off the Moore/Mullholland era rebuild. We did come close to arresting the decline but not close enough.

Successful teams have a spine of 4 or 5 star players. Atm we have:

Mbye 3 stars
Frawley 2 stars
Foran 5 stars
Lichaa 3 stars

We’re just not balanced like other teams. The lack of quality in key positions is disturbing.
I expect them to add stars to your ratings this year.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the signings and talk from the club I believe it's a Top 4 year IF and only IF pay can coach. He is a unknown and last couple of stints with sticky these sides haven't bathed themselves in glory

The other thing every under estimates is whilst he lost his way in recruitment and attaching stuctures , Des could and can coach .

But to me it's Pay and not the players that are the unknown quality

Status
Not open for further replies.