Do we have the makings of a successful team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
+1

I'm not expecting to in the comp so much, but we can absolutely in it, and we, as supporters should (but i'm not forcing you to :grinning: ) go into the season with that mentality.
Totally. I've been unable to be optimistic for the past few years as our club was reduced to the brink of Des-titution. I'm reaching for those stars this year! haha

old school dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
NO. Ordinary halves, fullback and hooker. Average pack. Morris boys are crocks. 15th for mine. I'm glad they're all happy though.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I personally don't see the Storm falling from grace until Cameron Smith quits. He has a far biggest impact on their form than Cronk did (especially in the last few seasons).

Munster is an absolute gun and I am sure Bellyache will have chosen a decent halfback replacement.
Not saying they will be rudderless....but honestly we've had the wood over them in recent years even whilst we were playing Des ball....they couldn't handle our forwards even when our forwards were holding back in order to try and pop fancy passes. If they are the best the comp has to offer the quality isn't that good. I honestly think we'll beat them comfortably. A good side, but we've always worried them and they will have even more to worry about this year. They may finish minor premiers again, they just don't scare me.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
NO. Ordinary halves, fullback and hooker. Average pack. Morris boys are crocks. 15th for mine. I'm glad they're all happy though.
Yikes, your glass is half full....of cyanide or something....cheer up, it's not that bad! :P

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'll actually be surprised if we don't finish top 4 this year. Not disappointed, but a bit surprised. Our roster is easily top four quality if coached properly IMHO.
No it isn't. Not even close. Cowboys, Roosters, Storm and Eels are way better on paper.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
No it isn't. Not even close. Cowboys, Roosters, Storm and Eels are way better on paper.
Wait until you see how players perform in their actual positions before you scoff and cast a judgmental finger. This roster was good enough to regularly land us in the finals despite a ridiculous and counter productive game plan. With a few improvements to our roster, positional changes and astute coaching our roster will start looking like the top quality roster it is. I think our roster is potentially better than any of those you mention...excluding the roosters....and that club has no soul and always underachieves.

If Mbye and Lichaa take to their new positions like I hope/ expect them to, we will have a top four quality roster IMO.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Which of the 4 teams I posted are we better than?

old school dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Storm, Cowboys, Broncos ,Roosters, Penrith, Sharks, Eels, Raiders, Sea Eagles, Knights, Dragons are all better than us. Maybe Warriors, Tigers are also better. I'm glad the boys are happy though.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 2018 I will rejoice the fact that Des is gone. Dean has inherited cap & roster so my expectations are to actually WITNESS a play style & attitude change in the squad. Its sink or swim time for our squad finally. I don't want to see dud pea heart players getting picked week in week out like Des did. 8th to 11th for me in 2018 given the extent of change required and the actual rosters in the comp.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We have plenty of forward depth if we have injuries across the forward pack. Tualau fualalo Martin Rfm Elliott priest Eastwood etc etc
Most of those names will all be in our 17

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
With Des he had me so depressed that I honestly thought I would ever be excited for round 1 ever again. Dean Pay was/is a favourite of mine as a player and never took shite. I agree with all of your remarks and remember saying way back when that Jacko should be the Captain instead of Graham. I think we will be competitive and will not die wondering....from there anything can happen.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
After watching the team go from bad to worse over the last few seasons playing very unbulldog like football and being an absolute self confessed pessimist in the process, I think it’s finally time to look ahead with a fair bit of optimism and enjoy being a tragic Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs fan again!

I know there are a few question marks coming from all of us true blue and white fans but that all stems from having a coach that certainly did not understand our pedigree.

Being an astute lover of all sports in general, and listening to various players and coaches from sports in Australia and abroad, the single most important ingredient they all agree on in order to have a successful team and season is happiness! If a club, it’s coach, and the support staff create an environment for it’s players to be happy to come to work everyday with a smile on his face then the rest will fall into place accordingly, and from what I have seen and heard since the board appointed Dean Pay as head coach Canterbury is just that! I think that Dean has not only addresses the short comings in our roster, the lack of Bulldog culture, but most importantly the miserable place it had become under Des Hasler’s tenure, he has turned it around in a very short period of time and I truly think it will resinate on the field.

I have read many comments on here debating whether our roster can lift with some of our recruits we have bought in the off season, particularly Keiran Foran! It has been well publicised that yes, he’s had a few personal issues the last few seasons, and his body isn’t what it used to be etc but the bloke looks to be extremely happy, he is back in Sydney and is seeing his kids more frequently, he skipped the world cup to focus on getting his body right for his new club and upcoming season, we as fans must at least give him the benefit of the doubt! Personally, I think he will be a gun for us this season being that it looks like he has left his past behind .

Firstly, with Woods and Klemmer starting in the front row together we will finally have a great forward pack that will bend opposition defenses back, ( No offense to Graham and Tolman but they weren’t exactly big lumps of lads that could do this ) Woods has plenty of footy in him and might even teach Klem how to offload the ball and get that second phase play going!

Lichaa is finally going to be let off Des’ leash and play his natural game which is running the ball and catching opposition defenses napping!

We have a great backline with a couple of good new young aquisitions added to our roster, if Pay can introduce Moses Suli onto the wing to start with and gradually coach him to realise his potential he will be a destructive force for years to come! Certainly helps that he was a Bulldogs fan growing up and now that he is playing for the team he naturally supported as a youngster he may just apply himself better to reach his potential.

We couldn’t have appointed a better captain for this club! Josh Jackson leads by example like so many other captains from days past, this leadership will rub off on the talented, skillful and young backrowers we have like Elliot, RFM and co.

Lastly, the missing cog we haven’t had since Brent Sherwin, we have a signed,sealed and will be delivered in 2019 a great little halfback in Jack Cogger, this kid comes with great expectation and loads of potential and with the foundation that is currently being laid at the club there is no reason he cant thrive in this new happy environment.

All these things to me point to a new successful era, so let’s all drop the pessimistic attitudes and support these bastards to the hilt and maybe, we can all be happy little Bulldogs again.
Is there a short version
I'm lazy

Oh fuck it
I'll read it
Give me a few minutes

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
After watching the team go from bad to worse over the last few seasons playing very unbulldog like football and being an absolute self confessed pessimist in the process, I think it’s finally time to look ahead with a fair bit of optimism and enjoy being a tragic Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs fan again!

I know there are a few question marks coming from all of us true blue and white fans but that all stems from having a coach that certainly did not understand our pedigree.

Being an astute lover of all sports in general, and listening to various players and coaches from sports in Australia and abroad, the single most important ingredient they all agree on in order to have a successful team and season is happiness! If a club, it’s coach, and the support staff create an environment for it’s players to be happy to come to work everyday with a smile on his face then the rest will fall into place accordingly, and from what I have seen and heard since the board appointed Dean Pay as head coach Canterbury is just that! I think that Dean has not only addresses the short comings in our roster, the lack of Bulldog culture, but most importantly the miserable place it had become under Des Hasler’s tenure, he has turned it around in a very short period of time and I truly think it will resinate on the field.

I have read many comments on here debating whether our roster can lift with some of our recruits we have bought in the off season, particularly Keiran Foran! It has been well publicised that yes, he’s had a few personal issues the last few seasons, and his body isn’t what it used to be etc but the bloke looks to be extremely happy, he is back in Sydney and is seeing his kids more frequently, he skipped the world cup to focus on getting his body right for his new club and upcoming season, we as fans must at least give him the benefit of the doubt! Personally, I think he will be a gun for us this season being that it looks like he has left his past behind .

Firstly, with Woods and Klemmer starting in the front row together we will finally have a great forward pack that will bend opposition defenses back, ( No offense to Graham and Tolman but they weren’t exactly big lumps of lads that could do this ) Woods has plenty of footy in him and might even teach Klem how to offload the ball and get that second phase play going!

Lichaa is finally going to be let off Des’ leash and play his natural game which is running the ball and catching opposition defenses napping!

We have a great backline with a couple of good new young aquisitions added to our roster, if Pay can introduce Moses Suli onto the wing to start with and gradually coach him to realise his potential he will be a destructive force for years to come! Certainly helps that he was a Bulldogs fan growing up and now that he is playing for the team he naturally supported as a youngster he may just apply himself better to reach his potential.

We couldn’t have appointed a better captain for this club! Josh Jackson leads by example like so many other captains from days past, this leadership will rub off on the talented, skillful and young backrowers we have like Elliot, RFM and co.

Lastly, the missing cog we haven’t had since Brent Sherwin, we have a signed,sealed and will be delivered in 2019 a great little halfback in Jack Cogger, this kid comes with great expectation and loads of potential and with the foundation that is currently being laid at the club there is no reason he cant thrive in this new happy environment.

All these things to me point to a new successful era, so let’s all drop the pessimistic attitudes and support these bastards to the hilt and maybe, we can all be happy little Bulldogs again.
Ok
I skipped through to the last paragraph and yes I agree
Things are looking up

But it's a 3 year rebuilding phase we are in

I am going to enjoy watching the team build under pay

Khan00

Banned
Reaction score
Roosters wont go as good as people think.
Eels are probably on par with us.
Cowboys are better.
Storm are better.
Comes down to whoever builds momentum at the right time and injuries.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Faith in the team
Commitment from the team
A happy team is a successful team
Bulldog 2018 Premiers :grinning:

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
A lot of positive signs so far, so looking good.. but only time will tell.. I'm excited to find out if we are what we are hoping for.. I hope I haven't set my expectations to high..

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The biggest questions are around halves. Who will Foran have a successful partner? Will Foran stay injury free?

Status
Not open for further replies.