Movie Discussion

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I watched Downsizing recently. There are a few funny moments. But it was just another movie with a sad main character trying to discover some joy in life after a setback he wasn't expecting. Sadly the whole concept of shrinking humans was little more than a tool to facilitate that setback in the plot. Some of the sets that were created for the downsized humans to live in were interesting, but the movie probably wouldn't have been any better or worse if the main character hadn't downsized. My advice would be to wait and watch it when they inevitably show this on TV. On the plus side of things I did really enjoy the Nachos that I ate while watching the movie, although i can make far better nachos myself at home.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
An absolutely stupid idea for vmax.

Keep it in gold class where's there's only like 20 people and massive seat but not vmax.

I don't want to smell that shit while I'm watching a movie
Agree with this. 2 people sitting right next to me eating a hamburger ruined a recent movie experience for me. A FUCKING HAMBURGER. Try eating that with sitting down without a table in front of you. And I'm not talking a cheap $2 McDonalds cheeseburger, I'm talking something that needed to be held together by a skewer. Bloody idiots needed to get wetwipes out afterwards to clean themselves.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree with this. 2 people sitting right next to me eating a hamburger ruined a recent movie experience for me. A FUCKING HAMBURGER. Try eating that with sitting down without a table in front of you. And I'm not talking a cheap $2 McDonalds cheeseburger, I'm talking something that needed to be held together by a skewer. Bloody idiots needed to get wetwipes out afterwards to clean themselves.
My favorite cinema in Brisbane is one where you order dinner and they bring it direct to your chair, booze included. They have all sorts of stuff - pizza, burgers. Delicious. Great for date nights.

https://www.blueroomcinebar.com/menu/

Another option if you don't like people is to go to the drive in. You can be safely cocooned in your car, plus it's a fun nostalgic way to see a movie.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Watched Juno again a couple of nights ago.

Good little low budget flick that was perfectly cast.

Poor old Michael Cera might be forever typecast though.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I watched Downsizing recently. There are a few funny moments. But it was just another movie with a sad main character trying to discover some joy in life after a setback he wasn't expecting. Sadly the whole concept of shrinking humans was little more than a tool to facilitate that setback in the plot. Some of the sets that were created for the downsized humans to live in were interesting, but the movie probably wouldn't have been any better or worse if the main character hadn't downsized. My advice would be to wait and watch it when they inevitably show this on TV. On the plus side of things I did really enjoy the Nachos that I ate while watching the movie, although i can make far better nachos myself at home.
Isn't this the 2nd time in as many years that Matt Damon has saved an Asian woman? :grinning: [After Great Wall]

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
My favorite cinema in Brisbane is one where you order dinner and they bring it direct to your chair, booze included. They have all sorts of stuff - pizza, burgers. Delicious. Great for date nights.

Another option if you don't like people is to go to the drive in. You can be safely cocooned in your car, plus it's a fun nostalgic way to see a movie.
I'll be possibly up there this year doing fit outs in cinemas , if i do im checking that out

Wahesh

Reaction score

I'm not sure if there are anymore drive-ins around here in Sydney anymore.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Geostorm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1981128/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Basically, in 2019 global warming starts taking it's toll on Earth with millions of people dying due to the effects. To combat this, nations on Earth jointly install a satellite in space that controls the weather patterns on Earth. Then it starts to malfunction. Blizzards in the middle of the desert in Afghanistan freeze people to death. Magma Earthquakes ravage Hong Kong. Lightning strikes all over Orlando. Title Waves in the Desert in Dubai. Freezing water waves sweep over Rio. Everything that can go wrong does go wrong. So they send in the man they fired into outer space to fix it.

While this is all happening, a secret plot to ensure the US President is killed so the Vice President (played by Ed Harris) is also coming together.

Very predictable at times but somewhat enjoyable as it's a disater that mankind brought upon themselves.

6.5/10

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Geostorm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1981128/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Basically, in 2019 global warming starts taking it's toll on Earth with millions of people dying due to the effects. To combat this, nations on Earth jointly install a satellite in space that controls the weather patterns on Earth. Then it starts to malfunction. Blizzards in the middle of the desert in Afghanistan freeze people to death. Magma Earthquakes ravage Hong Kong. Lightning strikes all over Orlando. Title Waves in the Desert in Dubai. Freezing water waves sweep over Rio. Everything that can go wrong does go wrong. So they send in the man they fired into outer space to fix it.

While this is all happening, a secret plot to ensure the US President is killed so the Vice President (played by Ed Harris) is also coming together.

Very predictable at times but somewhat enjoyable as it's a disater that mankind brought upon themselves.

6.5/10
Not sure if I reviewed this somewhere further up the thread, but I thought it was pretty ordinary. The sound and visual effects on the big screen were impressive though.

Like if they tried to make an Armageddon 2, but the tension is between brothers as opposed to a man and his future son in law.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Isn't this the 2nd time in as many years that Matt Damon has saved an Asian woman? :grinning: [After Great Wall]
This is the only movie I've seen with Matt Damon in it for years. I think the last ones I saw were 'Elyssium' and 'the adjustment bureau'.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Not sure if I reviewed this somewhere further up the thread, but I thought it was pretty ordinary. The sound and visual effects on the big screen were impressive though.

Like if they tried to make an Armageddon 2, but the tension is between brothers as opposed to a man and his future son in law.
Yes, actually Wahesh asked me about it back in October. I didn't give it score though - so i'll give 5/10.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This is the only movie I've seen with Matt Damon in it for years. I think the last ones I saw were 'Elyssium' and 'the adjustment bureau'.
I was kidding a bit.

The Guardian, bless them, had an opinion piece recently titled, kid you not:

High-concept satire Downsizing is dwarfed by its white saviour narrative

I have started following a FB page called "Peak Guardian" where someone has put all the ridiculous articles. It's pretty funny, especially if you, like I do, actually like the G's journalism but just shake their head at a lot of the terrible opinion columns they publish :grinning:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I was kidding a bit.

The Guardian, bless them, had an opinion piece recently titled, kid you not:

High-concept satire Downsizing is dwarfed by its white saviour narrative

I have started following a FB page called "Peak Guardian" where someone has put all the ridiculous articles. It's pretty funny, especially if you, like I do, actually like the G's journalism but just shake their head at a lot of the terrible opinion columns they publish :grinning:
That pretty much sums me up. I like reading the Guardian but the opinion/column articles are ridiculous.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What do you think guys? I’m a bit skeptical Very hard to do a Han Solo film without Harrison Ford..

Ps. Just a note Ehrenreich is 28..Ford was 33 when he played Solo..not much difference.. The film is set 10 years before A New Hope..

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Blacktown has one. Not sure where else.
The one in Brisbane is great - especially in the warm autumn/winter evenings (but muggy in summer).

It's a Yatala, halfway between BNE and the GC. Has three screens, and families come and bring their own food, picnic tables, dogs etc.

Most people have utes and SUVs these days, do you just back it up and pile into the back with your pillows and doonas.

Great night out of families, or for dates.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The one in Brisbane is great - especially in the warm autumn/winter evenings (but muggy in summer).

It's a Yatala, halfway between BNE and the GC. Has three screens, and families come and bring their own food, picnic tables, dogs etc.

Most people have utes and SUVs these days, do you just back it up and pile into the back with your pillows and doonas.

Great night out of families, or for dates.
You should try the St George open air cinema. Quite an experience

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You should try the St George open air cinema. Quite an experience

Did all that in Sydney when I was younger and trying to impress the ladies, Mrs Macquarie point, Centennial Park etc.

They do a few open air cinemas up here, mostly in the cooler months. Saw Captain Philips at the Powerhouse and Blue Jasmine (I was trying to look sophisticated to Mrs CD when we were first dating) at Southbank.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Den of Thieves was awesome. Old school action movie. Reminded me of Heat. If you love 90's action movies then go watch it!