Opinion Full Metal Racket // Short Fast Loud

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Living color realeased a good album last year
I actually listened to that once. It's not bad but there was a bit too much beige and pink. Not as good as the Green, blue and black of their old albums.

Ted Nü-Djent

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Machine Head - Cartharsis review:

http://metalassault.com/2018/01/12/album-review-machine-head-catharsis/

...Make no mistake, I am (still) a Machine Head fan, I have always supported this band loyally on this website through glowing positive reviews and numerous interviews in the past, but ‘Catharsis’ does not represent the Machine Head I have liked and supported over the years. Let’s just pretend that this album does not even exist and move on with our lives, because it does not deserve even the least bit of anyone’s attention. A colossal disaster.

Rating: 1/10

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Machine Head - Cartharsis review:

http://metalassault.com/2018/01/12/album-review-machine-head-catharsis/

...Make no mistake, I am (still) a Machine Head fan, I have always supported this band loyally on this website through glowing positive reviews and numerous interviews in the past, but ‘Catharsis’ does not represent the Machine Head I have liked and supported over the years. Let’s just pretend that this album does not even exist and move on with our lives, because it does not deserve even the least bit of anyone’s attention. A colossal disaster.

Rating: 1/10
Brutal!!! HAHAHA wow..

http://www.blabbermouth.net/cdreviews/catharsis/ - 5.5 out of 10 (almost unheard of!)
https://wallofsoundau.com/2018/01/22/machine-head-catharsis-album-review/ - 2 out of 10

Then there are a few giving it higher (whom clearly love Machine Head way too much).
http://crypticrock.com/machine-head-catharsis-album-review/ - 4 / 5
http://teamrock.com/review/2018-01-02/machine-head-catharsis-album-review 3.5 / 5

This is one I like the most though:
https://skullsnbones.com/machine-head-catharsis-album-review/

Say you’re having a dream, and Machine Head’s bus crashes into Limp Bizkit’s in the middle of the ’90s. It results in an awful blend of generic rap metal that has no soul. Well, I’m afraid that dream has come true with Catharsis, Machine Head’s new album.

Although the entire album isn’t “rap metal,” the material that is along with the weak, “top 40” songs overshadow the decent material. Rob Flynn, in his overzealous, egotistical little way, has alienated most of the Machine Head fanbase made since 2003’s Through the Ashes of Empires, an album that redeemed the band from their previous release, the disastrous Supercharger.
Catharsis takes Machine Head 10 steps back in their career. It’s a pathetic attempt at discovering some sort of alternate version of the band, and they fail miserably. As if the attempts at rap metal aren’t enough, the corniness of a bunch of 50-year-old guys singing about cocaine, eating pussy, and drinking takes it over the top.
:D :D :D

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The metal sites hate it and the rock sites don't mind it. Says it all really.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fucking hell... You called it @Mr Invisible

"Sick of the laughter, sick of the pain, sick of this feeling the feeling of shame, sick of the white folks privileged and vain, protesting a culture that isn't the same.

Don't blame the false elites, when Nazi assholes march the streets, so call my a hypocrite, call me a fake. It's nothing compared to your pride and your hate"

It's basically an Antifa theme song.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
All the commentors on YouTube are asking Machine Head to release an instrumental version of the album.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I like that title track off the album, it came on at then end of my run this morning and gave me abit of a boost and floored it home before I shit myself

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Fucking hell... You called it @Mr Invisible

"Sick of the laughter, sick of the pain, sick of this feeling the feeling of shame, sick of the white folks privileged and vain, protesting a culture that isn't the same.

Don't blame the false elites, when Nazi assholes march the streets, so call my a hypocrite, call me a fake. It's nothing compared to your pride and your hate"

It's basically an Antifa theme song.
Best comments:
"Has Rob hit puberty yet?"
"Robb Flynn and the Antifa orchestra"

I've got some better lyrics...

"Sick of the shit songs, Sick of ear pain, Sick of this knowledge this albums so lame, sick of Robb Flyynn being so vain, protesting on shit like he has legit claim.

Don't blame the metalhead, when Antifa assholes march the streets, so call him a retard, call him a fake. It's nothing compared to this piece of shit, for fucks sake"

Sad thing is it's the best sounding thing on the album yet.. just the lyrics are toilet.

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I listened through the Machine Head album twice and I have to admit that there is a lot of good music there. It's actually quite a decent album to listen to if you don't listen to hard. The moment you start listening to the lyrics then you want to switch it off.

That said, it's basically a mix of hard rock and nu metal. It's not metal.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
On another note, how friggin' good is this?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Scabbia has always had a really decent melodic voice..

I listened through the Machine Head album twice and I have to admit that there is a lot of good music there. It's actually quite a decent album to listen to if you don't listen to hard. The moment you start listening to the lyrics then you want to switch it off.

That said, it's basically a mix of hard rock and nu metal. It's not metal.
So are all the singles released just stinkers (with musical exception of recent track)? Or are the released singles the benchmark?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Scabbia has always had a really decent melodic voice..

So are all the singles released just stinkers (with musical exception of recent track)? Or are the released singles the benchmark?
Pretty much. Most of the songs on the album are good but the singles are pretty shit. Lots of the songs have shit in them though. They'll be good for a while then have some stupid lyrics. Like Triple Beam. It's an alright track with decent lyrics but the chorus is "That's what you get living life in a triple beam"

Basically the song is quoting Notorious BIG (reference to drug dealing), but it was a shit term then and it's a shit term now.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The music varies a lot too. Each song is completely different to the last.

That Bastards song on the album is actually pretty good but it's a semi-soft acoustic song.