Bulldogs sign Jack Cogger for 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I find it a bit hard to justify this signing if it is true. He plays for the worst team in the NRL and cant crack first grade there.
He is being held out by players who are struggling to get a start anywhere. Now Pearce is there, he drops even further down the order.
I would love to be wrong, but I have severe doubts. I would have him at about 4th choice at the Dogs.

I've been told he wasn't dropped it was a pelvis injury that kept him out of first grade. If that's the case then maybe that's a good argument against your case.

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not saying hes great but he did some decent things in FG...

2 games I can think of VS Brisbane set the win up with his short kicking

VS Parra took it to extra time with his dummy and run and try under post

He has ability.. too early to write him off, especially with our dud attack under our Ex Coach

Between Frawley & Cleeland I dont know whos better but I wont write any of them off yet
Agree
Bit harsh to judge a player under Hasler last year

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He was a willing footballer, typical of the era, but it would be a stretch to classify him as a very good player. He wasn't in the top 50% in his time.
Remember he did play for the Magpies. However he was made a Life Member.
He was 5/8 in the Magpies team of the Eighties.
He was inducted into the Magpies Hall of Fame.
He scored most tries in all grades at Magpies.
Someone must have rated him.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Any signing of a 20 year old with 8 NRL games under the belt is a signing based on potential. Given his credentials so far, this is the best signing I can recall the club making of a young no. 7 prospect.

Regardless of future potential, Coggar is much better right now than any of the other options at the club.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see Brown on the bench as a utility player. He's a big enough body to slot in anywhere from 6/7/9, and maybe second row/lock but playing as a third half (like some clubs did last year).

Cleeland, Lewis, Marshall King, Wakeham, Cogger, Frawley ... gees we have some halves at the moment.

My concern is that the Knights didn't even bother to offer him a contract, meaning either he isn't that great (they deem him less than Lamb/Pearce/Hodko) or has been promised a first grade spot with us (which means the others listed above will consider moving on).

If we don't get him this year, then I have concerns. Why would you put heart and soul in if you are most likely to be replaced in a years time.
Knight probably didn't offer him a contract because he probably told them he was not staying.

Watson and Pearce would have been promised 1st shot in the halves and probably won't be on the bench given how much they would be getting paid. Lamb jumped ahead having played 1st grade all last year and Hodgkinson offers experience in a bind.

zac hollywood

Waterboy
Reaction score
Sack Dean Pay! He clearly knows nothing & must’ve had his eyes closed when coaching juniors in origin!
mate everyone knows the junior rep systems
Sack Dean Pay! He clearly knows nothing & must’ve had his eyes closed when coaching juniors in origin!
I suggest people on here should get the tapes of him last year and see how good he is not. and the junior rep system everyone knows it political I wouldn't go to much on that

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Read an article about clearly wanting a blues jersey cause he never got 1 in unders cause it was always Cogger and lamb. Kid must have something. If he can be half as good as Cleary he’s better then what we have bar Foran

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
From the people that I’ve talked to and I’m and around the club, I’m getting the info that he is going to get around 220k which was raised from 180k due to a few extra teams joining the circle which include Storm and Raiders. He is expected to reach a pretty high level based on potential. He wasn’t dropped from the Knights, he suffered a pelvis injury which kept him out long term. Before last season where Lamb had a pretty decent year in first grade Cogger was always regarded a better player with a higher skill set. From what I hear it seems like he also has a pretty good work ethic and doesn’t cause trouble. So I don’t see where the downside in this is.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Any signing of a 20 year old with 8 NRL games under the belt is a signing based on potential. Given his credentials so far, this is the best signing I can recall the club making of a young no. 7 prospect.

Regardless of future potential, Coggar is much better right now than any of the other options at the club.
Wasn't Sherwin highly regarded too when we got him ?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
From the people that I’ve talked to and I’m and around the club, I’m getting the info that he is going to get around 220k which was raised from 180k due to a few extra teams joining the circle which include Storm and Raiders. He is expected to reach a pretty high level based on potential. He wasn’t dropped from the Knights, he suffered a pelvis injury which kept him out long term. Before last season where Lamb had a pretty decent year in first grade Cogger was always regarded a better player with a higher skill set. From what I hear it seems like he also has a pretty good work ethic and doesn’t cause trouble. So I don’t see where the downside in this is.
If it’s 100k over minimum for a position we badly lack quality and is the nsw jr half it’s worth the roll of the dice. 2 year deal isn’t a burn deal either. I like it. Hopefully he gets released ASAP.

Foran and 2 nsw jrs in lichaa and Cogger in the spine is a step forward. Fuck Foran alone is.
If Mbye can make a fist of fullback happy days. If not shift him to centre and throw the bank at rts! I’d do that either way haha. Go for Papalii with Eastwood’s cash

Rts
Montoya
Mbye
Hoppa
Manu
Foran
Cogger
Klemmer
Lichaa
Woods
Papalii
Rfm
Jackson

Fualalo
Tualau

Let the last 2 work out from Elliott, to’omaga, priest, Ogden, tolman!

Out : Graham’s payments, bmoz, jmoz, Eastwood

In : rts, Manu, papalii.

Last edited:

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think with Cogger and the boys we got from the Warriors as well as players like Wakeham and if Deano can get Lichaa and Mbye to hit there potential and not to mention that Klemmer is still pretty young we seem to have a really bright future.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The club rate Wakeham really highly and tbh a Wakeham does have a similar style to a young Foran. Could end up replacing Foran in a few years time and partnering Cogger who will be close to hitting his prime then. But that’s just being optimistic for now.

I really hope Ogden gets a chance this coming season, I was surprised Warriors didn’t try harder to keep him and I think his really talented.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I see Brown on the bench as a utility player. He's a big enough body to slot in anywhere from 6/7/9, and maybe second row/lock but playing as a third half (like some clubs did last year).

Cleeland, Lewis, Marshall King, Wakeham, Cogger, Frawley ... gees we have some halves at the moment.

My concern is that the Knights didn't even bother to offer him a contract, meaning either he isn't that great (they deem him less than Lamb/Pearce/Hodko) or has been promised a first grade spot with us (which means the others listed above will consider moving on).

If we don't get him this year, then I have concerns. Why would you put heart and soul in if you are most likely to be replaced in a years time.
It would be stupid for them not have Brown on the bench. His a half by nature who played a few games at centre when he was a junior and trained at Hooker all of 2016 and trained as a lock throughout all of 2017. Sharks wanted to keep him and was meant to replace Gallen as the lock of the future for them.

He can comfortably play Halfback, five eight, Hooker and Lock and can cover Centre and Second Row pretty solidly.

jamesb

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I find it a bit hard to justify this signing if it is true. He plays for the worst team in the NRL and cant crack first grade there.
He is being held out by players who are struggling to get a start anywhere. Now Pearce is there, he drops even further down the order.
I would love to be wrong, but I have severe doubts. I would have him at about 4th choice at the Dogs.
I coached against him when he was in the Harold Matts, Cogger and Lamb were the best kids in the comp and would tear teams apart, you could see their potential then... he's played great in the 20s and has enormous potential. Teams wouldn't put a halves combo under 20 years old (Cogger and Lamb) in first grade with the team and forward pack that the Knights had for the past 2 years, it would absolutely destroy them getting flogged and dominated every week, they have brought these kids on slowly and is the main reason they haven't featured together as a halves pairing even in a poor side, the thought was that they needed someone else (hodkinson) to take some of the responsibility from them.
Lamb was always bigger and physically more developed at that age and was probably the reason he was perceived to be able to handle first grade before Cogger.

I think its a good signing, hes a very good and smart halfback

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Question. Isn't this the same situation that Peace had with the Roosters.
He still had a year to run on his contract and the roosters wanted him to stay.
But the roosters saw commonsense and let him go to the Knights.

I think it suck balls for the Knights to refuse to let the kid move for the 2018 season if he has a chance to play first grade.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Question. Isn't this the same situation that Peace had with the Roosters.
He still had a year to run on his contract and the roosters wanted him to stay.
But the roosters saw commonsense and let him go to the Knights.

I think it suck balls for the Knights to refuse to let the kid move for the 2018 season if he has a chance to play first grade.
Not at all. Knights have no cap pressure to the point where the NRL has threatened to fine then for it, meanwhile the Roosters had a loaded roster and a 700k+ year player compared to minimum wage player in Cogger.

Knights gain absolutely nothing from releasing him, they are also in the process of releasing Hodko so Cogger is at worst a 4th choice half for them this season. Knights will probably push for a player trade.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I totally agree it shows how much of a flog brown is ,almost all the time clubs release players if they get a better opportunity and they are either at the end of their career or not high on the pecking order for first grade and as much as we hate the roosters Politis showed his class letting pearce go despite having him under contract
Class my arse. It was about $800k nothing more nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.