The case for NRL player salaries to be published

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
This could also be a good thing for players in a way because you would know exactly how much money a club has to sign you. Therefore you may not be wanting to break a contract to make more money. A la maloney. TPAs need to go alltogether or be capped though. 100%.
I get the sentiment, just not the practicality. If someone were going to offer you say $100k to go to a couple of corporate events, maybe play golf and do an after dinner speech here and there would you knock it back? Never in the history of rugby league has that happened before. Players back in the 60's were getting paid for the same sorts of things so they could comply with the $2000 sign on and $200 a win rule. Yes, by all means publish who gets what under the cap because that is something that should be publicly available but we are kidding ourselves if we think it will stop fans from crying foul. Look at Eastwood. He apparently is on something like $800k in 2018 but that is also because he took only something like $200k for 2017 so we could balance the cap. So if this years figures are published he looks like a bargain and we think he is getting the same for next year until we see the figures at the end of the season and off we go again.... Every club does this sort of thing. It's just that for most of them they didn't gamble on the new cap figure like we did.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Really? I thought I was making the point that just getting rid of the salary cap wouldn't work in the NRL. Yes, I made the comment that the EPL doesn't have a salary cap and it is running at a loss across the board and is propped up by questionable sources from the eastern bloc. Is that really what we want here? One sheik or oligarch or another owning every club in the NRL? We have a community ownership model over here and a small community. That means we have to have controls over expenditure otherwise teams go under the TV rights fall through the floor and the game collapses back to a Sunday afternoon at shitholes like Leichhardt and Brookvale. Most of the complainers on here don't even stump up any cash for the club through memberships yet they are the most indignant about everything. I care enough to spend a couple of thousand on memberships alone. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe I'm crazy I don't really care but at least I'm invested.
The EPL has a £8.3bn tv deal and the clubs (average) have only run at a loss the last 2 seasons consecutively for the first time in a very long time. Only reason for this is because the transfer fees are getting absolutely out of hand atm. But all that is irrelevant.

The NRL is a far inferior product as a sport and as a competition, the massive interest just isn't there. We aren't going to have stupid amounts of money poured in, there's also no reason why you can't add in restrictions to prevent clubs from overspending.

Anyway it doesn't matter as the cap won't change. The real change needs to be a total restructure of footy in Australia and againnl that also won't change.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Perhaps you should read it all before having a crack. I was responding to the proposition that getting rid of the salary cap in the NRL would make for a better comp. It doesn't work in other sports like EPL which was my only reference to the stupid game. This was a discussion about the salary cap not bloody soccer.
It doesn't work? What part of the most popular league in the world did you not understand? Do you even follow the sport?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Perhaps you should read it all before having a crack. I was responding to the proposition that getting rid of the salary cap in the NRL would make for a better comp. It doesn't work in other sports like EPL which was my only reference to the stupid game. This was a discussion about the salary cap not bloody soccer.
my argument is that the non salary cap leagues are truest competitions even though they have put in some restrictions on spending recently, the teams that are on top mostly earned their standing like man u player development gave them their resurgence and there is upward mobility for example tottenham and leicester recently

even if the nrl salary cap is run fairly and everybody abides by it, it is still rules in place just to punish success and give idiots a chance to compete against better teams and i guarantee there would be no problem if it went away, the 90's nswrl basically you had a few teams that were in contention year after year and it was still good

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
if the salary cap isnt removed then ban players for 3 years if they receive more money than reported (either publicly or just to the nrl in private)

this will make players think twice about receiving money, currently all salary cap drama has excluded players because for some reason they dont know that the money in the bank is different than the money they were supposed to get

make it like they are taking steroids

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
btw i think this thread has happened about 5 times already and ive said exactly the same thing each time lol

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I get the sentiment, just not the practicality. If someone were going to offer you say $100k to go to a couple of corporate events, maybe play golf and do an after dinner speech here and there would you knock it back? Never in the history of rugby league has that happened before. Players back in the 60's were getting paid for the same sorts of things so they could comply with the $2000 sign on and $200 a win rule. Yes, by all means publish who gets what under the cap because that is something that should be publicly available but we are kidding ourselves if we think it will stop fans from crying foul. Look at Eastwood. He apparently is on something like $800k in 2018 but that is also because he took only something like $200k for 2017 so we could balance the cap. So if this years figures are published he looks like a bargain and we think he is getting the same for next year until we see the figures at the end of the season and off we go again.... Every club does this sort of thing. It's just that for most of them they didn't gamble on the new cap figure like we did.
I would prefer the TPAs be capped rather then abolished. Players deserve endorsements outside of their contracts. But the problems begin when you have a club like the roosters with a multimillionaire running them who can hand out endorsements to who ever he wants. Also teams like the broncos and melbourne benefit massively given they are the only teams in their respective cities. And on the flipside its difficult for teams in sydney when there are 9 teams vying for the corporate dollar.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
my argument is that the non salary cap leagues are truest competitions even though they have put in some restrictions on spending recently, the teams that are on top mostly earned their standing like man u player development gave them their resurgence and there is upward mobility for example tottenham and leicester recently

even if the nrl salary cap is run fairly and everybody abides by it, it is still rules in place just to punish success and give idiots a chance to compete against better teams and i guarantee there would be no problem if it went away, the 90's nswrl basically you had a few teams that were in contention year after year and it was still good
The salary cap started in 1990.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
if the salary cap isnt removed then ban players for 3 years if they receive more money than reported (either publicly or just to the nrl in private)

this will make players think twice about receiving money, currently all salary cap drama has excluded players because for some reason they dont know that the money in the bank is different than the money they were supposed to get

make it like they are taking steroids
Players would have to provide tax returns for themselves & family members & statements of assets & liabilities which would have to be backed up

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Maybe, but only 4 teams have a chance of winning each year - great competition!
Not true, only 1 team has a chance this season! :tearsofjoy:

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
The salary cap started in 1990.
no but the competition wasnt even and the big teams kept their players as if there was no salary cap, like canberra broke the cap but there was no problem

every year it was like an unchanged pecking order brisbane, canberra, us, manly, stgeorge and maybe north sydney would be competitive and every year west, balmain, souths, parramatta, gold coast and the new teams would be shit but it wasnt bad at all

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Players would have to provide tax returns for themselves & family members & statements of assets & liabilities which would have to be backed up
no all it would take is an acknowledgement to the nrl from every player that they are getting paid x amount and if they are found to be paid more off the books then 2-3 year ban, its pretty simple stuff and a deterrent

players taking money off the books are damaging the credibility of the game just as much as players betting on the opposition to score a try

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
no all it would take is an acknowledgement to the nrl from every player that they are getting paid x amount and if they are found to be paid more off the books then 2-3 year ban, its pretty simple stuff and a deterrent

players taking money off the books are damaging the credibility of the game just as much as players betting on the opposition to score a try
So how do you verify that they are only receiving the contracted amount? An honour system? That's basically what we have now until someone gets ticked off about something.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Maybe, but only 4 teams have a chance of winning each year - great competition!
liverpool, tottenham, arsenal, man c, man u, chelsea and leicester have at least come close to the title in recent seasons, thats 7

my recommendation is to use different leagues because they are better for your argument, like bayern munich or psg

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
So how do you verify that they are only receiving the contracted amount? An honour system? That's basically what we have now until someone gets ticked off about something.
yeah i hate the honor system and thats in my argument portfolio for removing the cap thank you very much, but what you dont have now is anybody blaming the players in any way

if the nrl says they will ban players for 3 years then it will be a bigger risk to receive it than it is now, currently now the risk is losing 4 competition points but you get to keep the reputation and the money gained

its the least they can do

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
TPA's ruin any form of fairness that the salary cap tries to induce, it cancels the other one out. Having TPA's directly favours some teams and disadvantages the other ones. The whole issue is an embarrassment and while it continues in it's current format we will have headlines every few years about clubs cheating. I do not believe for 1 second the NRL are onto this issue and it's only when a "whistle blower" comes forward that they "have" to be seen to be doing something. Why is it that all these years later that the NRL allow the commentators to water down the stripped premiership titles from the storm and claim that the players still won those?? Have the players salaries made public aswell as the TPA's so everyone knows exactly where the club stands and what sort of resources they are putting into the team. If the players don't like it then they can get a labouring job and see if they change their tune. Transparency is all it would create but with the rule of not questioning the officials the NRL aren't exactly known for wanting that are they?? The other thing is to find a system to wipe the player managers out of the game....blood sucking freaks who are bad for the game IMO!

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
yeah i hate the honor system and thats in my argument portfolio for removing the cap thank you very much, but what you dont have now is anybody blaming the players in any way

if the nrl says they will ban players for 3 years then it will be a bigger risk to receive it than it is now, currently now the risk is losing 4 competition points but you get to keep the reputation and the money gained

its the least they can do
The problem is that the NRL is gutless! We all know that. Just look at Greg Inglis & the infamous boat. The NRL have the power to fine & suspend players if they knowingly took money / gifts from the Club &/or somebody associated with the Club as an inducement to play for said Club if they knew it was not declared to the NRL. The players details will also be onforwarded to the ATO for investigation.

Just look at how many player managers have been sanctioned over the salary cap. To me it all boils down to the people at the NRL not having any stones to at least charge players & managers with offenses to try them out / get other leads. Do it successfully once & you will have a different ball game.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
TPA's ruin any form of fairness that the salary cap tries to induce, it cancels the other one out. Having TPA's directly favours some teams and disadvantages the other ones. The whole issue is an embarrassment and while it continues in it's current format we will have headlines every few years about clubs cheating. I do not believe for 1 second the NRL are onto this issue and it's only when a "whistle blower" comes forward that they "have" to be seen to be doing something. Why is it that all these years later that the NRL allow the commentators to water down the stripped premiership titles from the storm and claim that the players still won those?? Have the players salaries made public aswell as the TPA's so everyone knows exactly where the club stands and what sort of resources they are putting into the team. If the players don't like it then they can get a labouring job and see if they change their tune. Transparency is all it would create but with the rule of not questioning the officials the NRL aren't exactly known for wanting that are they?? The other thing is to find a system to wipe the player managers out of the game....blood sucking freaks who are bad for the game IMO!
I bet if Cameron Smith ever becomes an "immortal" then it will be on his record (& used for his induction) that he won / captained Melbourne to 4 Grand Finals & a World Club Challenge even though some of those have been stripped.

Status
Not open for further replies.