Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs predicted Round 1 line-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minix

Waterboy
Reaction score
Don't think Pay go for 4 forwards on the bench. I expect Brown will be there somewhere, probably on the bench. Lichaa's passing still isn't as quick as it needs to be for a finals contender so we need the utility option at stages. I reckon Pay will play Jackson at lock and probably persevere with Elliott on the edge to start with. Jackson can rotate with Fualalo for a break and both he and Tualalo should have more impact this year. I wish we had a better option at 5/8 , but if Frawley can learn to position himself better on the last and improve his long kicking, he could be OK. Foran will be good to teach him find better positions. I like your team but Eastwood or Tolman out for Brown in the 17 for me.
tbh thats the squad i think Pay will go for. (Mabye start Elliott and RFM on the bench)

The squad i mentioned definitely wouldnt be my first choice.

I am of the opinion just like you that Jacksons best position is lock and would probably be in the top 3 locks in the comp. Jackson doesnt offer much in attack as a backrower but would be more efficient playing at lock.

We are definitely missing another half. tbh all our halves except Foran (Still massive question marks over his mind & body) are well below average.

We are also missing a quality backrower and I hope the club has a stab at Cordner for 2019 or Coen Hess(if he is off contract).

Fuck knows what Hasler was thinking with signing Nu Brown, he is dead set bog average.

I guess Priest was signed as backup though he is dead set average as well.

Eastwood will be there on the bench and I guess we have no other option since we couldnt find another club for him. Good on to Eastwood for digging his heels in as it was the club who offered a dumb & stupid back ended contract. Hopefully the wankers learn from the mistakes.

I honestly think we do not have the squad right now to make the 8. We have 3 current players in their prime age in Woods, Klemmer & Jackson but when you look at our ex-internationals they are getting on with age and are on their last legs.

Im looking forward to Pay bringing back mongrel and having out forwards run straight, fast & hard without the "Des Hasler" lollypop/hot potato shit.

I really hope Pay has the smarts and pulling prowess to recruit 5-6 quality players for 2019 and onwards

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excuse the long winded post but am excited by the pissible changes with Hasler gone.

7 or 6, 9, 12 and the bench are the positions seriously up for grabs IMHO.

My 17 with options

1. Mbye / B Moz
2. B Moz / Smith
3. J Moz
4. Hoppa
5. Montoya / Holland
6. Foran / Cleland
7. Coggar / Hastings pls
8. Woods
9. Brown / Leicha
10. Klemmer
11. Jackson (c) / RFM / Elliot / Young Pup?
12. RFM / Elliot / Young Pup
13. Tolman / Jackson

14. Leicha / Zac
15. & 16. Eastwood / Faulaolo /Preist / Toomaga/ Tualau
17. Elliot / RFM / Martin / Toomaga / Ogden

Comments:
Our biggest weakness is the fact we do not have an NRL quality half partner for Foran and Foran is comming back from 2 years of injuries! If our season goes south it will be because of no depth in the halves. Hasler what were you thinking?

I would like to see Jackson moved to 13 and give some of our young edge backrowers a go, but dont think that will happen.

We need to give Mbye a go at 1, think it is his best position longer term, but if we cant get a better no. 7 then Mbye at 7 with BMoz at 1 is our best option, no more Frawly or Hoppa @ 1 pls.

Surly we have some other good young forwards comming through?

Think Hoppa will kill it @ centre this year

We got Brown to be a 9 and that where we should play him, with Leicher's running game as impact of the Bench. Need crisp service from 9 as a priority and Leicher does not provide an NRL level passing game.
Well said waterboy. Agree with all. With another decent playmaker who can cover fullback and a nippy attacking hooker to compliment Lichaa and we have a well balanced team with depth to cover the inevitable injuries.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I said forget what we're seen from Frawley so far. Its impossible to look good as a half with Des as coach he put terrible stuctures in place for his havles plus he had Mbye as a partner 1 week. Reynolds as a partner the next. Then the next week he is on the bench playing 30-40 a minutes a game. It was criminal what Des did to his development. How the hell is a young half playing his first year in 1st grade meant to develop under these circumstances.

Foran will mentor Frawley and with good coaching and the right structures in place with another full preseason under his belt. I think Frawley will become a very good half. Andrew Johns says it takes a while for a half to find there feet in 1st grade.

Lichaa particular confirmed Frawley and Foran will be our havles so we may as well get behind them.
Did you see how many Frawley long balls went to ground and stuttered the backline attack?

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Reynolds left because we got Foran.

The heading of that article says it all: Brown wants to play in the halves. But at the time he was bought in to play 9 as reported in the media "Market Watch can reveal Brown has been brought to the club as a No.9 and back up 6"

Think only reason Brown is being considered as a half is because of our lack of options. Pay's pursuits to bring in new talent says it all about how highly he rates our current options. All our halves excluding Foran are back up options that would be lucky to make it as a 2nd choice back up on any other NRL roster.

Are these the same reporters that said they have inside goss dogs signed Foran before he went eels or that we had Hayne ?

Your assuming that's all your doing

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you see how many Frawley long balls went to ground and stuttered the backline attack?
As I said forget what you saw last year. Des was coach remember.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
As I said forget what you saw last year. Des was coach remember.
Not only that but if you go back to Lichaa's interview he said they are all working on their skills stuff including passing so whatever happens we should expect them to be a much better outfit next season no matter who is in the side.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not only that but if you go back to Lichaa's interview he said they are all working on their skills stuff including passing so whatever happens we should expect them to be a much better outfit next season no matter who is in the side.
I hated the attitude stay in the grind and we should come away with a win if we match them..

Fuck we could never win by a big margin,and even when we won it was fricken boring footy to watch.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One of the most important things about being a coach, is one on one coaching. Developing a players individual skill level.
It didnt happen with Supercoach, and appears to be happening now.
The changes seem to be having a positive effect on other players as well. We are no longer the club to avoid.
All looking good for the futurel.

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
One of the most important things about being a coach, is one on one coaching. Developing a players individual skill level.
It didnt happen with Supercoach, and appears to be happening now.
The changes seem to be having a positive effect on other players as well. We are no longer the club to avoid.
All looking good for the futurel.
Let's start at the top with a great new line up :
Lynne Anderson
Chris Anderson
Nick Dimas
Paul Dunn
John Ballesty
John Khoury
Steve Price

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well said waterboy. Agree with all. With another decent playmaker who can cover fullback and a nippy attacking hooker to compliment Lichaa and we have a well balanced team with depth to cover the inevitable injuries.
Agree, if we sort these areas out we have a strong team that will surprise people.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Are these the same reporters that said they have inside goss dogs signed Foran before he went eels or that we had Hayne ?

Your assuming that's all your doing
Mate isn't that what we all to on blog sights? Deduct what we can from all the available information, in this case Fox Sports and what his role was at his last club (back up 9 & 6)

With Mbye moving to 1 and our lack of quality halves, of course Brown he is going to put his hand up like he did in that interview.

Pure opinion now:
1. I think Brown should be at 9 and Leicher at 14.
2. I think this because,
A. Leicher's passing service is poor, much worst of any other 9 or back up 9 in the NRL. IMHO this is the no.1 priority for a position that makes the most passes in the whole team and is responsible to get our pack going forward and making yardage gains. Brown is better than Leicher in this skill.
B. Leicher's strength is his running game, I think this is more suited to providing impact of the bench running at tired players.
C. Based on form for the Sharks, Brown is a better 9 than 6 at NRL level.
D. Based on form over the past 3 years, I don't think Leicher has done enough to walk in to a starting 9 role like everyone has him. I hope he has to battle it out with all the other contenders over the off season and earn it on merit.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Mate isn't that what we all to on blog sights? Deduct what we can from all the available information, in this case Fox Sports and what his role was at his last club (back up 9 & 6)

With Mbye moving to 1 and our lack of quality halves, of course Brown he is going to put his hand up like he did in that interview.

Pure opinion now:
1. I think Brown should be at 9 and Leicher at 14.
2. I think this because,
A. Leicher's passing service is poor, much worst of any other 9 or back up 9 in the NRL. IMHO this is the no.1 priority for a position that makes the most passes in the whole team and is responsible to get our pack going forward and making yardage gains. Brown is better than Leicher in this skill.
B. Leicher's strength is his running game, I think this is more suited to providing impact of the bench running at tired players.
C. Based on form for the Sharks, Brown is a better 9 than 6 at NRL level.
D. Based on form over the past 3 years, I don't think Leicher has done enough to walk in to a starting 9 role like everyone has him. I hope he has to battle it out with all the other contenders over the off season and earn it on merit.
Lichaa's service was poor because he can't consistently deliver fast crisp service from the ground, that isn't and was never was his style. His got a good short passing game and he can engage the markers from dh and put a forward into space though.

Yes there is plenty of improvement in his delivery and i'm sure he will improve it. But with better systems in place and playing to our players strengths, i believe he will be far more effective than he ever was in these last few years. Lichaa will be a key piece of our attack this coming season.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lichaa's service was poor because he can't consistently deliver fast crisp service from the ground, that isn't and was never was his style. His got a good short passing game and he can engage the markers from dh and put a forward into space though.

Yes there is plenty of improvement in his delivery and i'm sure he will improve it. But with better systems in place and playing to our players strengths, i believe he will be far more effective than he ever was in these last few years. Lichaa will be a key piece of our attack this coming season.
"Lichaa's service was poor because he can't consistently deliver fast crisp service from the ground". Mate that says it all and is exactly why he should be at 14, regardless of style or system this is what hookers do 90% of the time.

Agree he can be part of the improvement of our attack, but IMHO his style will serve out attach better off the bench in the 14 jersey.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1. Mbye
2. Bmoz
3. Jmoz
4. Hoppa
5. Montoya
6. Foran
7. Frawley
8. Woods
9. Liccha
10. Klemmer
11. Jackson (c)
12. Elliot
13. Tolman

Interchange

14. Fulalo
15. RFM
16. Eastwood
17. Cleeland/ brown

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
"Lichaa's service was poor because he can't consistently deliver fast crisp service from the ground". Mate that says it all and is exactly why he should be at 14, regardless of style or system this is what hookers do 90% of the time.

Agree he can be part of the improvement of our attack, but IMHO his style will serve out attach better off the bench in the 14 jersey.
I seriously don't believe it is a major issue, i also don't think it's as bad as we have seen the last few seasons. He lacked confidence, he went to dh with little idea who he was actually passing too, forwards weren't organised and charging onto the ball and our halves were out of position. All this would of had an effect on the speed of delivery.

Next year we will hopefully have a confident Lichaa playing to his strengths with a clear plan in mind and the freedom to react to the defence infront of him and know his teammates will back him up. He will also hopefully have a better positioned half in Foran around the ruck keeping everything running smoothly. Just these things here will improve his service.

They have also talked about doing way more skill based sessions under Pay than with Des. Our entire spine has been working on improving their technical ability, again this here should also leas to more improvement.

If Lichaa can provide reasonable service while excelling in his areas of strength, then i think we will have ourselves a very good hooker next season. The quality of hookers isn't exactly great these days anyway, so the gap isn't a huge one to close.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I seriously don't believe it is a major issue, i also don't think it's as bad as we have seen the last few seasons. He lacked confidence, he went to dh with little idea who he was actually passing too, forwards weren't organised and charging onto the ball and our halves were out of position. All this would of had an effect on the speed of delivery.

Next year we will hopefully have a confident Lichaa playing to his strengths with a clear plan in mind and the freedom to react to the defence infront of him and know his teammates will back him up. He will also hopefully have a better positioned half in Foran around the ruck keeping everything running smoothly. Just these things here will improve his service.

They have also talked about doing way more skill based sessions under Pay than with Des. Our entire spine has been working on improving their technical ability, again this here should also leas to more improvement.

If Lichaa can provide reasonable service while excelling in his areas of strength, then i think we will have ourselves a very good hooker next season. The quality of hookers isn't exactly great these days anyway, so the gap isn't a huge one to close.
Ive said this a number of times but when you have a flat style its very easy to pass forward etc,i feel that pay will have nice deep backlines which will see his actual passing game

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

How? He isn't a zippy quick hooker like Craig wing was or seggeyaro is
His thick
A great defender
And when he engages the marker can be very dangerous

The running hooker your thinking of is not what licha is

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How? He isn't a zippy quick hooker like Craig wing was or seggeyaro is
His thick
A great defender
And when he engages the marker can be very dangerous

The running hooker your thinking of is not what licha is
Your right he isn't an explosive runner, but did you watch any Lebanon games? The France game he came off the bench and changed the game with his dummy half running.

Leicher may well be the front runner for the 9 jersey. But I have seen enough of him over the past 3 years to be realistic with my expectations. I am hopeful of all the improvments mentioned, but I am equally hopeful that some of the other hookers in the squad turn out to be better than Leicher or at the very least highly competitive for the 9 jersey.

By all reports Zac Woodford is the fittest player at the club. He is a goal kicker and has the same junior rep accolades as Leicher.

Benji's little bro did well at 9 for his NRL debut?

Nu Brown is similar caliber player to Leicher, but think he is more suited to start at 9 and sub off like he did with the Sharks.

As I have said before, our stock at 9 and 7 are weak compared to other NRL rosters. That is 2 out of 4 essential "spine" positions and that is assuming Mbye works out at 1. It should be game on between all current squad players. And we should be looking aggressively to recruit.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Your right he isn't an explosive runner, but did you watch any Lebanon games? The France game he came off the bench and changed the game with his dummy half running.

Leicher may well be the front runner for the 9 jersey. But I have seen enough of him over the past 3 years to be realistic with my expectations. I am hopeful of all the improvments mentioned, but I am equally hopeful that some of the other hookers in the squad turn out to be better than Leicher or at the very least highly competitive for the 9 jersey.

By all reports Zac Woodford is the fittest player at the club. He is a goal kicker and has the same junior rep accolades as Leicher.

Benji's little bro did well at 9 for his NRL debut?

Nu Brown is similar caliber player to Leicher, but think he is more suited to start at 9 and sub off like he did with the Sharks.

As I have said before, our stock at 9 and 7 are weak compared to other NRL rosters. That is 2 out of 4 essential "spine" positions and that is assuming Mbye works out at 1. It should be game on between all current squad players. And we should be looking aggressively to recruit.

I watched every Lebanon game,
Licha started from bench so obviously Fittler could have more impact from his bench because he didn't have too many first graders

But France aren't all that.. he did well don't get me wrong but in my eyes his not a benchi..

Status
Not open for further replies.