Picking baby names

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hi All,

As some of you know, Mrs CD is having our first child soon, and whilst we think we ha e most things under control, there is one issue we can't sort out - the name.

As we do not know the sex of the foetus, we have to come up with 2 names. Its driving us nuts, and with only 6 weeks until due date, we are fast running out of time.

The question I am putting to Kennelers with kids is this: how did you decide on a name for your child(ren)? I'm not looking for name suggestions, I want to more understand your METHODOLOGY, ie: what steps did you take to come up with a name? Did you use a baby book, name them after an important person in your life? Just use a name neither of you hated? Did you choose a couple of names in case, on the day of birth, the kid just didn't look like a (insert name here)?

Its a big bloody deal. Sometimes I secretly wish the government would just issue one (or maybe just a number :p )!

Anyway, wondering your thoughts on this issue?

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Well I'm a junior so my first born son is Edward III. choice was basically made as a final wish from my dad.

Obviously my faith made us pick a religious name for my princess, ANGELina.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
PS best of luck brother, hope mum and bubs have a smooth, problem free ride.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
@CroydonDog How about Croydon Pup.. you got both sexes covered with this one!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Congrats Mr AND Mrs CD ... never realised you were expecting... nor your first :D

The answer to which one to choose is simple...

Mauve Clouds Random Chooser: http://www.mauvecloud.net/randomchooser.html
Punch both names in.. click to a random number... hey presto baby named!

Or pick a gender neutral name so you can be like all the cool kids these days.

@south of heaven has like an entire tribe of kids... he'd be a gun at picking names by now!

sillymaddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Congrats brother, it was a no brainier for us as my wife always wanted a mohammed cause she loves the nickname moey, I always wanted a leila cause I don't no, our first born is a boy and our second is a girl so it kinda worked out for us. Sorry couldn't be of any help but what i can say is, what name do you see yourself screaming for the next 18 years? PUT THAT DOWN......... LEAVE THAT ALONE.........
STOP PLAYING WITH THAT......
THAT DOESN'T GO THERE........
P. S. My wife is kiwi

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

As some of you know, Mrs CD is having our first child soon, and whilst we think we ha e most things under control, there is one issue we can't sort out - the name.

As we do not know the sex of the foetus, we have to come up with 2 names. Its driving us nuts, and with only 6 weeks until due date, we are fast running out of time.

The question I am putting to Kennelers with kids is this: how did you decide on a name for your child(ren)? I'm not looking for name suggestions, I want to more understand your METHODOLOGY, ie: what steps did you take to come up with a name? Did you use a baby book, name them after an important person in your life? Just use a name neither of you hated? Did you choose a couple of names in case, on the day of birth, the kid just didn't look like a (insert name here)?

Its a big bloody deal. Sometimes I secretly wish the government would just issue one (or maybe just a number :p )!

Anyway, wondering your thoughts on this issue?
Mate you and your wife just jot down all the names you and your wife like and slowly eliminate one at the time, until your left with your most preferred one.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just dont go down the trash path way by giving your kid a dead shit name and think your clever by spelling it your own way which makes it even more dead shit, that will lead to the kid wearing button up addidas pants in the middle of summer and an ice addict who thinks succeeding in life is getting an advanced payment on the dole to buy a piece of shit unregistered Commodore that will sit in pieces on the front lawn.
Your a sensible man im sure you snd mrs cd will come up with a beautiful name for bubba

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I check to see if the child's name rhymes with things. If it rhymes with insults then there's a higher chance the child will be bullied. That's why I named my first son "Bart"

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Keep in mind that even if you pick a good longer name that it will be shortened as is the Australian tradition. For example, one of my sisters named her son Orlando. I still recall my mum saying that it was a poor choice and that he's going to be called Olly by 95% of the people who know him. My sister said she'd make sure that nobody called him Olly. He's 21 now and everyone calls him Olly including his mum. But I agree with Southy in saying that you'll find the right name for him/her eventually. The important thing is that you teach them right from wrong and ensure that they support the Bulldogs from a young age.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I check to see if the child's name rhymes with things. If it rhymes with insults then there's a higher chance the child will be bullied. That's why I named my first son "Bart"
My surname can be a great source of teasing from kids if I get the first name wrong.

I've had friends suggest to make sure the initials don' spell something rude etc, but the issue nowadays is whay does their default email address look like. If you Google "unfortunate email addresses" you will see what I mean.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Just dont go down the trash path way by giving your kid a dead shit name and think your clever by spelling it your own way which makes it even more dead shit, that will lead to the kid wearing button up addidas pants in the middle of summer and an ice addict who thinks succeeding in life is getting an advanced payment on the dole to buy a piece of shit unregistered Commodore that will sit in pieces on the front lawn.
Your a sensible man im sure you snd mrs cd will come up with a beautiful name for bubba
I have vetoed so many Bogan name suggestions from Mrs CD. Since she isn't a native of this country, she doesn't know any better :p

She also suggested Azaria. Not a bad name, but since the whole dingo thing... imagine if you named your kid Isis a few years ago.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Cart
Lart
E-art

But Homer forgot FART lol

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
We named our child after the street i grew up in as the first name, and my nickname in high school as the middle name.

Dudley Gonads is doing well and we're very proud of him.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My surname can be a great source of teasing from kids if I get the first name wrong.

I've had friends suggest to make sure the initials don' spell something rude etc, but the issue nowadays is whay does their default email address look like. If you Google "unfortunate email addresses" you will see what I mean.
Like Ana Lee. Which in some organisations gets abbreviated to Anal@

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I thought babies were born with names already? Don't they have that lil tag thing on their wrist when they pop out?

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
For the Lebos.....

My missus wants another kid, I said only if we either call the boy Thomas Ayrie (come and suck my penis) or the girl Tina Ross (give me head).

She doesn't want a kid anymore....

Status
Not open for further replies.