Not open for further replies.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Moses Mbye has welcomed the challenge of switching to fullback under new Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs coach Dean Pay.

As revealed by NRL.com, Pay is set to start Mbye in the No.1 jersey with Tongan representative Will Hopoate shifting to the centres.

The move accommodates for the departure of Brenko Lee, who was released to the Gold Coast Titans on Thursday.

"It's a big move," Mbye told NRL.com.

"I've done a few training sessions at the back so far. Under the high ball will be one aspect to the challenge but it's only a small one.

"It will be more the positional stuff and learning the game from there. We'll go through pre-season trials in February and get a good gauge of how I'm going and what we're going to do."

Former Bulldogs fullback Ben Barba made a similar transition into the No.1 jersey after starting out with stints on the bench and in the centres early in his career.

He eventually churned out 72 tries in 97 appearances at the club.

Mbye admits his performances as a playmaker have been inconsistent but after conversations with Pay, he is comfortable enough to make the positional switch.

"I hadn't met Dean prior to his appointment in September," Mbye said.

"There have been a few question marks alongside my name for a couple of years with what position suits me and my playing style.

"The role I was playing as a halfback is the pinnacle of domestic rugby league and you've got to wear the pressure with it. You put yourself under pressure to perform and be successful.

"He's now got a new job for me and has let me know what he wants me to do. I've just got to keep learning and apply myself the best I can."

The 24-year-old said the players had been notably relaxed since Pay's arrival.

"He knows what it's about," Mbye said.

"He's grown up playing for the Bulldogs and is bringing that to the culture now. It's a clean slate, he doesn't owe a player anything. It's all cut-throat and we're all trying to get a position.

"It's certainly a happy camp, it makes it enjoyable to turn up in the morning."

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Was never a half and it showed, could be anything at fullback though...

Where he has it over Barba is his passing game and if the talk of us doing a lot more second phase play in training is true, this will be a huge plus for him.

Hoppa tried to be a ball-playing fullback, but it was never really his go.

Hopefully Mbye makes a real fist of it at fullback and cements this as his position.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Two things will define our season.

1. Can Foran stay on the field
2. Can Mbye fire at fullback

Mbye has all the ability to be a top 5 fullback. I just hope he can apply that on the footy field.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Im looking forward to seeing him in backline sweeping plays using all that speed he has to burn. Plus having a fullback that can kick in general play is handy. A confident Mbye at fullback is going to be huge for us. I hope he comes flying out of the blocks in his first few games so he doesn't doubt himself if he has the odd bad game here or there during the season.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
So many players have spoken about a more happy and relaxed atmosphere. As we all know Hasler had killed the enjoyment of playing league with his bullshit stats and ideas.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Depending on how fast we play and which part of the field we predominately attack, i can see our front row providing Mbye quiet a few opportunities.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let’s hope there not too laxy daisy, a coach needs to be a people person but when a call is needed you make it

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
So many players have spoken about a more happy and relaxed atmosphere. As we all know Hasler had killed the enjoyment of playing league with his bullshit stats and ideas.
I still remember what Lichaa said while in the Lebo camp for the WC.

“I can’t wait to get a pre-season and get back into shape – I’m actually excited. I was having a talk to Moses (Mbye) this morning and he said it’s actually been so fun at (Bulldogs) training and it’s been really hard, but it’s been enjoyable and apparently everyone’s happy.”

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Reading some awesome stuff about how the team is feeling, the pressure off and their fitness of late. I think Mbye will kill it at FB and expect him to be like a solid Rocket Rod Silva. I know that is a big call but Mbye has an eye for gaps, has the speed to finish off if put into one plus the size to break through a couple too. HIs defence is way ahead of the rat also so I am really excited about this switch. Let's remember though and even Bmoz found it out that positionally it takes some time so even half a season he will get caught out at times I am expecting. Go Mbye!

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mbye is an intelligent footy player. He reads the game well and is a natural footballer. His execution has let him down in previuos years playing whilst he was in the halves. Not having that pressure of having to always create will take that pressure off him. Won't take him long to adjust to fullback imo.

Khan00

Banned
Reaction score
Aaand...... lets pls not forget those des supporters.
Infact, Des and supporters shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Reactions: DT

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I still remember what Lichaa said while in the Lebo camp for the WC.

“I can’t wait to get a pre-season and get back into shape – I’m actually excited. I was having a talk to Moses (Mbye) this morning and he said it’s actually been so fun at (Bulldogs) training and it’s been really hard, but it’s been enjoyable and apparently everyone’s happy.”
But that's all the club needs is someone who can actually train the boys and have fun as well. Hasler just turned into a nazi and thought everyone would perform for him but slowly was losing the dressing room and we saw that towards the last 3 rounds of the season. Happy days ahead !!!

Reactions: DT

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mbye also has the luxury of having Hopoate and Brett Morris in the squad to help guide him in the position.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love it how Mybe says how relaxed the players are since Pay arrived and how Pay owns nothing to anyone and how it's a happy camp and enjoyable coming to training, take it as u will but I'm guessing it's a dig at that pretender Hasler and his coaching style! I bet Pay doesn't even spend 10% of the football budget that Hasler does and gets better results, remember when you are happy you play better footy, and seems like the lads are smiling and enjoying themselves under Pays coaching so far!
Bring on 2018, I have a feeling if Mybe can master the high balls, he will be a gun FB and fingers crossed Foran is injury free and has a clear head, the rest will gel itself and hopefully we have a better 2018!
I'm excited r u!? lol

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love it how Mybe says how relaxed the players are since Pay arrived and how Pay owns nothing to anyone and how it's a happy camp and enjoyable coming to training, take it as u will but I'm guessing it's a dig at that pretender Hasler and his coaching style! I bet Pay doesn't even spend 10% of the football budget that Hasler does and gets better results, remember when you are happy you play better footy, and seems like the lads are smiling and enjoying themselves under Pays coaching so far!
Bring on 2018, I have a feeling if Mybe can master the high balls, he will be a gun FB and fingers crossed Foran is injury free and has a clear head, the rest will gel itself and hopefully we have a better 2018!
I'm excited r u!? lol
Definitely a dig at Hasler. Finally has a coach that's giving him the confidence and self belief he's been missing. Can't wait to see him carving holes through the ruck. Fingers crossed with the bombs.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
1. Mbye
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Hoppa
5. Montoya

I can live with that...
Well i bloody can't. The "H" in "Hoppa" is triggering my ocd, surely the bloke needs to change his name to "Mopoate" now.

1. Mbye
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Moppa
5. Montoya

Yes, that's perfect....actually it's not. Now the "b" in Mbye is triggering my ocd!

Status
Not open for further replies.