Nick Politis explains Roosters salary cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Get ready to get infuriated.

All he's doing is making excuses to try and throw auditors off looking closer I reckon.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...p-better-than-most-clubs-20171219-h07685.html
"The numbers that have been quoted are totally wrong," Politis said bluntly.
Yeah.. No.

The numbers quoted are probably right, he's not about to admit salary cap fiddling is he?
"We plan five years ahead with our recruitment," Politis said. "We run our salary cap better than most clubs. We don't back-end contracts, we don't put in ratchet clauses that stymie some clubs. We don't have many third-party agreements. We make some hard calls. We don't always get it right but we correct them quickly.
That's BULLSHIT. How can you plan 5 years ahead? Does he honestly expect people to believe that 5 years ago they planned for Tedesco and Cronk, and they knew how much they'd be worth?

BULLSHIT

Does he think fans are dumb or something??
"The bottom line is there are 10 to 12 players we let go in the last 12 months, and one very expensive one was Pearcey, who covers Cronk. We also had $600,000 left from 2016."
What.the.fuck..

Does he honestly expect people to believe Pearce and Cronk are on the same salary?? LOL

Oh and interesting "we had $600k left over from 2016". The cap isn't cumulative. If you don't spend it one year, it doesn't become part of your cap the following year.

I sense plot holes!!
Politis also points out the salary cap jumps from $7 million in 2017 to $9.4 million next year and more than $10 million in 2022.

"The salary cap went up by $2 million — you don't have to be Einstein to work it out," he said. "Every club should have spare cash. It was a fair increase. I don't understand how some clubs don't have enough left."
Every club has a salary cap and limited TPAs. Except your club Nickhead.
Politis, also worth many more hundreds of millions than you and me, chuckles his trademark "He, he, he" chuckle when you ask why other clubs keep hating on the poor old Chooks.

"We're the high-flyers from the eastern suburbs," he grinned. "History has always been against the Roosters. They moved the boundaries and brought in the 13-import rule to slow us down. Easts were always the glamour team, with the likes of Perc Galea and Jack Gibson and others involved. They all had that connection. Everyone is jealous of the Roosters. This has been going on for 50 years."
They aren't jealous, tey are fed up that the NRL turns a blind eye to blantant cap breaching right under their nose, simply because an ex Roosters legend used to be head of salary cap auditors.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nick Politis explains Roosters salary cap.

“Well, we declare a third of players salary, then get contractors to charge us $20000 for a toilet seat, $50000 for a coffee machine. they then ‘gift’ the excess to a player we choose”
“Simple really”

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
The fact that he said they don't have many TPA's should put a bigger microscope on them, bad comment I think. The TPA's would be the only argument those silly enough to argue they are cap compliant have.....

I can guarantee you 1000% I am not jealous of that club and in reading that f-wits quotes I hate them more.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It seems that the chairman of the board has retired and has commenced his newest career move..that of a comedian...

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone with an understanding of player management can see how the Rorters are well and truly under the cap.

Just look at the number of high profile players that have left the club over the past 70 years; SBW, Minnichello, Fitzgibbon, Fittler, Coote and Dave Brown to mention a few. This has opened up the Salary Cap for a couple of handy players like Tedesco, Cronk and Crighton. Nothing fishy here.

Last edited:

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To be fair they have lost a fair chunk of their 2017 squad which have been either let go or not re-signed

1. M PEARCE
2. A GUERRA
3. SKD
4. C WATSON
5. K EVANS
6. J NIKORIMA
7. L KNIGHT
8. P CARTER
9. D COPLEY
10 J HASTINGS

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He does make a good point when he mentions the cap increase. I don't see how teams could possibly be struggling with the cap if it went up by 2 million.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
He does make a good point when he mentions the cap increase. I don't see how teams could possibly be struggling with the cap if it went up by 2 million.
Well not surprisingly the player managers knew the cap was going up as well so when they re-negotiated the players contract in the past year or so they built in an escalation clause to take account of the increase. That meant for a number of top line players and prospects their pay packets went up automatically in line with the cap increase. That's what buggered us up. We were working towards $10m when we signed the escalation clauses and then it came in at $9.4m and we were caught short. Seems like the Chooks stayed more conservative, mainly because of the problems they had with the Pearce incident and paying unders for Fingers, SKD and a couple of journeymen forwards. Gave them a warchest for this year but it won't last. That's why they boned a number of borderline players during the year.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Unless there are facts. Its all speculation and conspiracy. Media bump these stories up to sell papers.

Speak to other fans. They think roosters, broncos and dogs are the biggest cap cheats.

All about perspective.

Stop the speculation and get on with the game.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
dogs have been planning for fucken last 7 years.

we have been waiting and HAD MONEY for our rock star fullback, rock star half back and rock star 5/8.

we just got our rock star half back in Foran now , mind you who rejected like 3 times and is only coming to us cos he has no other choice really considering his circumstances.

Our most expensive player was James Graham who was on 700 ks, we have always had spare cash since 2012 yet we could do shit with it.

We have let go following player since 2012

Barba
Reynolds
Graham
Kasiano
Rona
Keating
Ennis
Frank
Hodkinson
Inu
Brown brothers
Goodwin
Finucane
Tapau
Ese Ese

I am sure I have missed few others. but we have lost more and gained few over the last 5 years , we always had cash that is why we offered fajita 800ks/year.

yet we were never able to get top marquee plays AT WILL like roosters have in last 5 years.

Ironstine

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It has been proven that clubs can cheat the cap and explain away their roster. It has happened in the past. If the Storm could explain their roster to the auditor for half a decade then the Roosters magic power to attract the cream of the crop can be explained as well. The ease in which they have attracted Chrighton, Tedesco and Cronk without any fight at all is why I'm suspicious. Zero proof but all the talent scouts had no proof when the Storm were signing all the superstar juniors. 'We're just smarter than all the other clubs' the Storm could say as Inglis and Folau put pen to paper.

Ironstine

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
dogs have been planning for fucken last 7 years.

we have been waiting and HAD MONEY for our rock star fullback, rock star half back and rock star 5/8.

we just got our rock star half back in Foran now , mind you who rejected like 3 times and is only coming to us cos he has no other choice really considering his circumstances.

Our most expensive player was James Graham who was on 700 ks, we have always had spare cash since 2012 yet we could do shit with it.

We have let go following player since 2012

Barba
Reynolds
Graham
Kasiano
Rona
Keating
Ennis
Frank
Hodkinson
Inu
Brown brothers
Goodwin
Finucane
Tapau
Ese Ese

I am sure I have missed few others. but we have lost more and gained few over the last 5 years , we always had cash that is why we offered fajita 800ks/year.

yet we were never able to get top marquee plays AT WILL like roosters have in last 5 years.
'AT WILL' sums it up very well. At will used to happen before the cap and the Wests players absolute hatred of Manly seemed to vanish overnight when a bundle of cash was waved at them. But the Roosters have the same money to spend as the other clubs in the salary cap era don't they?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well not surprisingly the player managers knew the cap was going up as well so when they re-negotiated the players contract in the past year or so they built in an escalation clause to take account of the increase. That meant for a number of top line players and prospects their pay packets went up automatically in line with the cap increase. That's what buggered us up. We were working towards $10m when we signed the escalation clauses and then it came in at $9.4m and we were caught short. Seems like the Chooks stayed more conservative, mainly because of the problems they had with the Pearce incident and paying unders for Fingers, SKD and a couple of journeymen forwards. Gave them a warchest for this year but it won't last. That's why they boned a number of borderline players during the year.
Ah, the voice of reason. This is exactly what has/is happening with player managers and their clients and will continue to happen as the cap increases each year.

So much though for a real equalisation of wages and a reward for the lower tier players. As the cap increases the higher paid players will continue to get a bigger chunk of the cap rise. JT and Cam Smith make me laugh when they look as if they are championing the cause for increases for the lesser lights , all the while pocketing more and more of the increases themselves . Yes, the better players deserve more but what about the workhorses? The ones who allow these guys to play as well as they do.

Roosters played the troubled player card pretty well, apparently giving Fingersin a 'lesser deal' in line with behaviour and getting rid of troublemakers like SKD, Carter to free up money for others. Still I cannot see how a club can plan 5 years in advance; that crystal ball in relation to Teddy and Cronk for example would be handy to have.

What gets me in the whole thing though, is the supposed third party deals ( which for the most part as we know are not included in the cap). Don't ever see that bought into the argument when they talk about how much cap space is freed up when a player moves on....you hear that player X was on such and such at times with a TPA and a lesser cap impost but when he goes the whole thing appears to be under the cap.....

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Ah, the voice of reason. This is exactly what has/is happening with player managers and their clients and will continue to happen as the cap increases each year.

So much though for a real equalisation of wages and a reward for the lower tier players. As the cap increases the higher paid players will continue to get a bigger chunk of the cap rise. JT and Cam Smith make me laugh when they look as if they are championing the cause for increases for the lesser lights , all the while pocketing more and more of the increases themselves . Yes, the better players deserve more but what about the workhorses? The ones who allow these guys to play as well as they do.

Roosters played the troubled player card pretty well, apparently giving Fingersin a 'lesser deal' in line with behaviour and getting rid of troublemakers like SKD, Carter to free up money for others. Still I cannot see how a club can plan 5 years in advance; that crystal ball in relation to Teddy and Cronk for example would be handy to have.

What gets me in the whole thing though, is the supposed third party deals ( which for the most part as we know are not included in the cap). Don't ever see that bought into the argument when they talk about how much cap space is freed up when a player moves on....you hear that player X was on such and such at times with a TPA and a lesser cap impost but when he goes the whole thing appears to be under the cap.....
True, but the TPA's have nothing to do with the cap so there is no space freed up if the player moves on. It is also true though that the company who paid the original TPA could decide to sponsor another member of the club or alternatively go with the player as it is not (technically) linked to the club.

Mr Moneybags

New Pup
Reaction score
When Politis says "We run our salary cap better than most clubs”, perhaps he means that Mr B helps them run their salary cap better than most clubs...

Last year at his YBR company's AGM, Mr B was apparently “facing questions over related-party payments to entities linked to the Bouris family”

http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the-business/2016-10-25/mark-bouris-in-the-firing-line/7964996

One wonders if any of those related-party payments to "entities linked to the Bouris family" were, in-turn, linked to certain NRL players that just happen to be contracted to the Roosters, on whose board Mr B serves?

Over to you Toddles...

Belmorian

Waterboy
Reaction score
Love him or hate him... but if we had Nick Politis we’d have a few more premierships and we wouldn’t be complaining. You can’t deny he’s good at what he does.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Love him or hate him... but if we had Nick Politis we’d have a few more premierships and we wouldn’t be complaining. You can’t deny he’s good at what he does.
Why? We've won more premierships than they have while he has been in charge of the Rorters. People need to chill a little bit. The rorters have won 2 comps in 40 bloody years not 10. Their lack of character as a club is what holds them back from being a genuine powerhouse. They just buy players and hope.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be fair they have lost a fair chunk of their 2017 squad which have been either let go or not re-signed

1. M PEARCE
2. A GUERRA
3. SKD
4. C WATSON
5. K EVANS
6. J NIKORIMA
7. L KNIGHT
8. P CARTER
9. D COPLEY
10 J HASTINGS
Fans from other clubs believe the players you mentioned played for the love of the club.
People will believe what makes them feel happy.
It is what it is.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No player plays for the love of the club anymore. It's silly to think otherwise.

The best you can hope for is said player will love the club to stay for a slightly less amount and it'd take a club they would say they hate to pay them 1.5x times their market rate to get them to come over.

Status
Not open for further replies.